What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

Agreed.

Talk with figures and facts, not "I guess that..." or "I suppose that..." or "Why not...", in which case it is not a discussion, but purely assumption.

I have only 2 official news that I guested are around WS-18

An article from AVIC by January 9th 2015, showing a picture with mention that "First flight sucessful"

nyB6KXE.jpg

And an article from CANews by April 7th 2015, detailing an on-ground engine test for engine n°1, 2 et 4 in Xi'an.

eNHewCI.jpg

I'm not refusing information coming from insiders, some of them are relevant and proven. But this should be completed by official release, and on this particular point, I agree with Beast that it is not easy for non chinese speaker. However this should not be the reason to say "you do not know lots of thing". If you have solid source, share it, otherwise, let's discuss together.

Henri K.

Thanks a lot Henry ! Very much appreciated.

I surely can fully understand the reservations of Chinese members in regard to these "strange" non-insiders, Westerners or whatever. But to admit to simply tell them stupid without sharing a source is plain stupid too. Otherwise why are You then here in an English-language forum ?? To discuss and to share, to maybe even educate the ones who do not have that insight or understanding !

Deino

Sorry but that's surely not a WS-20 in that image ... it's the WS-18.

Good observation.
anLM6ab.jpg

That is not a WS-20 turbofan engine. The WS-20 is much bigger and broader in dimension.

The WS-18 is basically the Russian D-30KP2 engine. I clearly remember a news report that says Russia licensed the production of this engine to China after China made a substantial purchase of the engine.

And it is not unreasonable to assume that the rumor may be true as Russia is indeed using a more powerful version of the turbofan today. The designated PS-90A turbofan engines
w6zH344.jpg
for her latest transporters.

Good observation.
anLM6ab.jpg

That is not a WS-20 turbofan engine. The WS-20 is much bigger and broader in dimension.

The WS-18 is basically the Russian D-30KP2 engine. I clearly remember a news report that says Russia licensed the production of this engine to China after China made a substantial purchase of the engine.

And it is not unreasonable to assume that the rumor may be true as Russia is indeed using a more powerful version of the turbofan today. The designated PS-90A turbofan engines
w6zH344.jpg
for her latest transporters.

The new engine make me remember CFM engine.
Maybe it related to CFM-56 or CFM Leap 1C developed for Comac C919
Anyway it's psd. at least color changed.

Last edited:
Said to be no. 785 ... can anyone confirm !?

Deino

Y-20 said to be 785 - 9.10.15.jpg

Y-20 inducted into a PLAAF division based in Qionglai :smitten:

But that's clearly the no. 1 serial 781 / 20001 ... I can't think that the PLAAF introduces a prototype into an operational frontline division.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom