What's new

100 made-in-India Bofors artillery guns

holysaturn

Reaction score
Country
India
100 made-in-India Bofors artillery guns

Ritu Sharma Express News ServiceLast Updated : 28 Feb 2012 08:32:38 AM IST
NEW DELHI: Defeating the ghost of Bofors scandal that has haunted successive Congress governments, the Indian Ordinance Factory Board (OFB) has set on a daunting task of manufacturing 100 Bofors artillery guns indigenously from scratch, nearly 24 years after the first of these Swedish guns were inducted into the Indian Army.
The Indian Army has already placed an order with the OFB and the effort if successful will save the country millions and would give the country a capability to further improvise the guns to add punch to its firepower.
Speaking exclusively to Express, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said: “The Indian Army has put a substantial order for 100 of these Bofors guns. It is a huge task for the OFB. If we are successful, it will be a huge technology boost to the Indian defence market.”
The designs are already with the OFB and the Indian Army’s decision to go for 100 guns at the beginning of the project and testing the guns simultaneously as the manufacturing goes on, will cut down the time of fructification of the project.
Earlier, the Army contemplated first getting the two prototypes of the guns, then putting them to extensive field trials. Once the designs were validated, the guns were to be mass produced.
Seeing the delays in previous projects, the defence ministry has decided to set up a Monitoring Committee to oversee the progress of the project and involve the Army in the project from the beginning.
100 made-in-India Bofors artillery guns | Bofors | | The New Indian Express

After sleeping on the blueprints of Bofors for 24 - 25 years, OFB guys are going to use the knowledge to create indigenous Bofors. I just hope those technology are still used in modern gun's.

I wish OFB a good luck and I hope they will make us proud.

:sniper:

After sleeping on the blueprints of Bofors for 24 - 25 years, OFB guys are going to use the knowledge to create indigenous Bofors. I just hope those technology are still used in modern gun's.

I wish OFB a good luck and I hope they will make us proud.

:sniper:

In these kind of matters army should be more involved the OFB with the designing and the production. They should give the OFB a stern time line otherwise there will be delays.

i think these bofors will be upgunned ones with 45calibre barrels developed by ofbfor bofors upgrade.......it may look more like this
155mmfh77b47jz2.jpg

We should have started this project 15 to 20 years back.

Well they had been sitting on the designs for that much time without even realizing it, plus the government specially congress isn't really keen to bring the haunting reminders of the old days.

Seeing the delays in previous projects, the defence ministry has decided to set up a Monitoring Committee to oversee the progress of the project and involve the Army in the project from the beginning.

Hope it works...

may be under the headmasters, they`ll speed up the process...

Correct me if I am wrong, but the original deal also included license production for about 1000 guns.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the original deal also included license production for about 1000 guns.

Not too sure, but we got ToT I think so the OFB should have used the knowledge to produce a indigenous and better guns long ago.

i think these bofors will be upgunned ones with 45calibre barrels developed by ofbfor bofors upgrade.......it may look more like this
155mmfh77b47jz2.jpg

This looks slightly different from the normal bofors no? Any background info on this picture?

10bofors3.jpg

Not too sure, but we got ToT I think so the OFB should have used the knowledge to produce a indigenous and better guns long ago.

True..but even the word artillery let alone Bofors was shunned upon in the defense circles.

Ya as soon as the Bofors are spelled the Congress Cronies close the file... I wish someone find a different name for these Guns... perhaps that may help us.

A good interim measure until IA gets around to finalizing the procurement of new arty. And yes the original deal did include ToT and the option for OFB to produce 1000 units later.

IA really need some artillery I really think a lot of Top brass guys would got a little relief by this news.

Today I really want to thank CBI for blacklisting all those firangi companies or today we may would have ended up exporting these guns from abroad.:yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom