What's new

1961 Indo-Portuguese War

:no:Please get back to the topic, STOP TROLLING. There is already a thread this offtopic stuff.:no:

513b31bb05e5fbcalarge32.jpg
Portuguese troops, West African rank & file, attending a special mass in the Church of Born Jesus.​

529a3d2a04141f57large33.jpg

b841b153121ffe8alarge33.jpg

:no:Please get back to the topic, STOP TROLLING. There is already a thread this offtopic stuff.:no:

513b31bb05e5fbcalarge32.jpg
Portuguese troops, West African rank & file, attending a special mass in the Church of Born Jesus.​

529a3d2a04141f57large33.jpg

b841b153121ffe8alarge33.jpg

Interesting pictures above. Nearly all of the troops that the Portuguese had in Estado da India (Goa) were of Angolan or Mozambican origin. These soldiers enjoyed their stay in Goa with the flowing feni that was available. In turn they contributed ideas to Goan cuisine, e.g. the piri-piri dishes. And total sausegad prevailed.
While the Portuguese 'religiously' transported their loot back to Lisbon.

On this note then..
How much of the Portuguese influence has survived in Goa in terms of culture?(not taking into account architecture or food)
I hear it is still spoken in some parts of Goa?

On this note then..
How much of the Portuguese influence has survived in Goa in terms of culture?(not taking into account architecture or food)

it is still spoken quite a bit..........

On this note then..

though born and brought up all over india we originally hail from Goa , my parents still speak portuguse at home . the culture has not died amongst the older generation . i ended up learning hindi konkani marathi urdu and english and french ..alas did not want to learn portuguse.:hitwall: would have loved to carry on some tradations.

though born and brought up all over india we originally hail from Goa , my parents still speak portuguse at home . the culture has not died amongst the older generation . i ended up learning hindi konkani marathi urdu and english and french ..alas did not want to learn portuguse.:hitwall: would have loved to carry on some tradations.

After the Invasion of Goa, Many Goans migrated to Mumbai and Pune and some to East Africa and Portugal.

So there was a complete erosion of portugese.

Also Goa's population is 60% Hindus and 30% Catholics.

And from what I read the Catholics identify their Hindu roots and many have leaned towards there.

It is truly sad how some people are so blinded by hate and jealousy that they don't even acknowledge history.

Nanda Empire in 5th century B.C.E.
Maurya Empire in 4th-2nd centuries B.C.E.
Kushana Empire in 1st-3rd centuries .
Gupta Empire in 4th-6th centuries
Pala Empire in 8th-12th centuries
Chola Empire in 9th-13th centuries
Mughal Empire in 16th-18th centuries
Maratha Empire in 17th-19th centuries

Each of these empires were major global powers in their time. People from all over the world were willing to spend their whole lives trying to reach India, just to glimpse its wealth and power. Oh, and the land that you now call "Pakistan" was also a part of these empires, so you too should be proud of this history instead of living in a pathetic state of self-denial.

And yes, modern India is not a superpower, but it is definitely a global power.

Whatever may be the strength of these Indian empires, none projected their strength outside its own domain. So, how any of these can be called a super power?

On this note then..

None.

The Goa, Daman and Diu Official Language Act, 1987 makes Konkani in the Devanagari script the sole official language of Goa, but provides that Marathi may also be used "for all or any of the official purposes". The Government also has a policy of replying in Marathi to correspondence received in Marathi. Whilst there have been demands for according Marathi and Konkani in Roman script co-equal status in the state, As of October 2008, Konkani remained the sole official language.

Konkani is spoken as a native language by about 61.21% of the people in the state. Other linguistic minorities in the state as of 1991 are Marathi (27.12%), Kannada (3.41%), Urdu (2.81%), and Hindi (2.09%).

https://www.goa.gov.in/portalweb/login/index.jsp

GB

This thread states the word "War", but it was more like skirmishes. Mods please correct that.

This thread states the word "War", but it was more like skirmishes. Mods please correct that.

Thank you to the thread starter. As a European, it is interesting to see a former colony that was perhaps the first to fight back in the 1900s against an established European power.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom