What's new

$2.1 Billion Megaplan for a modern and digital Dhaka Medical College Hospital

Don't know why, but some time back there was a thread about 5-6 motorways project in Bangladesh and even it's per km cost was almost 4-5 times more than the average cost in Pakistan.

And Pakistan came very on top in corrupt countries as per transparency international. Speaks for itself.
Irrespective of the scale of corruption, if it is roads and highways in BD, the costs will far supersede similar constructions in Pakistan. BD needs to haul/ transport or dig nearby for soil to elevate the surface of the road by about 4 meters from the original GL. It is always Flood Level + 1.0 m or more.

Otherwise, flood water will overtop the road and break it.

Usually, people do not want to understand, but the heavy costs of soil banking works are not perceived with eyes after construction, but it may be the most expensive component of the construction.

Irrespective of the scale of corruption, if it is roads and highways in BD, the costs will far supersede similar constructions in Pakistan. BD needs to haul/ transport or dig nearby for soil to elevate the surface of the road by about 4 meters from the original GL. It is always Flood Level + 1.0 m or more.

Otherwise, flood water will overtop the road and break it.

Usually, people do not want to understand, but the heavy costs of soil banking works are not perceived with eyes after construction, but it may be the most expensive component of the construction.

Bro this is also the case with Pakistan motorways. It's kept some 3-4 meters above Ground level for the same reasons. So that can't be the differencing factor. Pakistani members here can also comment here on this. Almost all motorways. I had the pleasure of working on one such motorway (Hazara motorway) during construction. Our motorway was about 10 feet above ground level at minimum.

Either it's above GL or its cut out of high elevation sloppy mountain.

Don't you guys think $2.1 billion for a 5000 bed is too much in this part of the world ?

When you have a super specialized facility with all kinds of specialized equipment, no.

The main problem in Bangladesh is getting specialized care, outside of the ambit of general practitioners.

For which they have to go to India next door, spending huge amounts of foreign exchange.

Kolkata hospitals have been minting money for many years on the backs of Bangladeshi patients.

The total cost of 800 beded "Pakistan Kidney and liver institute Lahore" was 24 billion pkr or $140 million approx.

133553761-2588997341224947-776397039992175670-n.jpg

43762286-2136913546548548-7411411388637118464-n.jpg

Well - an 800 bed and a 5000 bed specialized hospital are quite a bit different. What you have in the background in Lahore is a 12 story building. In Bangladesh 500-800 bed Hospitals are very prevalent and don't cost much more than this hospital in Lahore.

What is planned at DMCH are a dozen 20 story towers, doctors' chambers, diagnostic and acute care facilities, operation theatres, the list goes on. The sheer scale is altogether different.

Consider also, the cost of CT scanners and other cutting edge medical equipment housed in those towers, which will cost quite a bit. I have heard they are planning a gene therapy dept. but that is still up in the air.

Larger teaching hospitals have a whole other set of problems (different post graduate disciplines such as stem cell and in-vitro fertilization depts.) and solutions cost a lot more too.

They need different logistics and auxiliary facilities too, such as specialized chiller/humidifiers, in-house oxygen generators which supply oxygen and other gases to every room, blood plasma refrigeration facilities, networked diagnostic computer system etc. etc.

AIIMS which is India's no. 1 hospital in New Delhi (with all sorts of specializations including a cancer institute) has 2400 beds. They are adding 3000 specialized treatment beds. I am not comparing AIIMS and DMCH, the two are in two different ends of quality as far as quality of research. But for treating patients you need beds nonetheless, and that facility costs money. We can't be sending patients to India for specialized treatment forever.

AIIMS New Delhi is planning an addition/upgrade to their facility by 2024 and they will having 5500 beds by then. The idea in Bangladesh is to have a similar situation at DMCH. We probably can't match the cost advantage India has, but specialization-wise we can go much further than we do now.

Pakistan could have easily taken part of the medical tourism dollars from treating Bangladeshi patients, but so far it seems they decided not to do so.

Last edited:
When you have a super specialized facility with all kinds of specialized equipment, no.

The main problem in Bangladesh is getting specialized care, outside of the ambit of general practitioners.

For which they have to go to India next door, spending huge amounts of foreign exchange.

Kolkata hospitals have been minting money for many years on the backs of Bangladeshi patients.

Makes no sense at all … $2.1B sounds like a BS claim by the government. Even in Canada it won’t cost so much.

Makes no sense at all … $2.1B sounds like a BS claim by the government. Even in Canada it won’t cost so much.
In BD, we have greatest thieves of the world working in the party and the government. People here are celebrating and @Bilal9 is supplying with many architectural beauties. But, the core point is, does Bd even produce stethoscopes, syringes or needles to say a few/

If not, all these architectural works do not make anything superior. If the govt is so serious, it should talk with the private companies to produce hundreds of types of medical equipment including the ones that dentists use.

Japanese exporters collect used and old equipment and machines from the medical facilities and export them to stupid countries like Bangladesh where these are used for another 20 years.

How about producing all those electrical/ electronic testing equipment in the country? The GoB as usual is cutting the base and watering the top. গোড়া কেটে আগায় পানি ঢালা।

Average AIIMS cost $250 million USD in India. Even that is seen as expensive. $2.1 Billion is astronomical for South Asia :woot:

In BD, we have greatest thieves of the world working in the party and the government. People here are celebrating and @Bilal9 is supplying with many architectural beauties. But, the core point is, does Bd even produce stethoscopes, syringes or needles to say a few/

If not, all these architectural works do not make anything superior. If the govt is so serious, it should talk with the private companies to produce hundreds of types of medical equipment including the ones that dentists use.

Japanese exporters collect used and old equipment and machines from the medical facilities and export them to stupid countries like Bangladesh where these are used for another 20 years.

How about producing all those electrical/ electronic testing equipment in the country? The GoB as usual is cutting the base and watering the top. গোড়া কেটে আগায় পানি ঢালা।

@bluesky bhai, I am adding interest to the thread so people feel interested to post. :-)

Just showing the expansion of medical infra locally which a lot of people have little clue about. And I am an architectural fan of course.

By the way, yes, injection molded sterile syringes and needles are produced locally by a few firms. :-)

You may recall ventilator was also produced quickly by three companies when Covid broke, That was of course for emergency move. The point is, local companies are capable of developing simpler medical devices like ventilators, nebulizer machines etc. Some (Walton) are even capable of producing Health Monitor devices or certainly assembling them with ToT. But this will never happen if Govt. idiots don't buy them, which is the majority of the market. This is what I'm talking about.

GED4000-2T__00261.1554230918.jpg

For medical infra biggest buyer is govt. which is filled with corrupt thieves. They will never encourage local product development - these govt. ba$tards. How will they get their kickback if they buy locally?

Govt. idiots will go to an agent in S'pore and conduct purchases under a phony tender scheme. Then ask the wholesaler agent to deposit their cut in a S'pore offshore cash account. Unless Hasina makes people accountable, things won't change - but how will they? Hasina herself benefits via kickbacks.

These people all deserve jail-time.

@bluesky bhai, I am adding interest to the thread so people feel interested to post. :-)

Just showing the expansion of medical infra locally which a lot of people have little clue about. And I am an architectural fan of course.

By the way, yes, injection molded sterile syringes and needles are produced locally by a few firms. :-)

You may recall ventilator was also produced quickly by three companies when Covid broke, That was of course for emergency move. The point is, local companies are capable of developing simpler medical devices like ventilators, nebulizer machines etc. Some (Walton) are even capable of producing Health Monitor devices or certainly assembling them with ToT. But this will never happen if Govt. idiots don't buy them, which is the majority of the market. This is what I'm talking about.

GED4000-2T__00261.1554230918.jpg

For medical infra biggest buyer is govt. which is filled with corrupt thieves. They will never encourage local product development - these govt. ba$tards. How will they get their kickback if they buy locally?

Govt. idiots will go to an agent in S'pore and conduct purchases under a phony tender scheme. Then ask the wholesaler agent to deposit their cut in a S'pore offshore cash account. Unless Hasina makes people accountable, things won't change - but how will they? Hasina herself benefits via kickbacks.

These people all deserve jail-time.
It is good to know there are a few makers of at least little medical equipment in the country. I hope the govt people will not call international tenders for these locally produced goods.

About beautified buildings, I would say even with all those pictures I have seen in the PDF, more than 1.4 million patients visit India for treatment. So, it seems many fundamentals are missing in the country.

I wonder what this 5,000-bed hospital means. Will it not be another large COW SHED that you see in the Mohakhali Cholera Hospital. It is so stinky and there is no management action to remove the human dirt by timely cleaning.

It may be because our educated people are taught to disrespect cleaning by hands. In Japan, every child is taught to clean every floor and ground every day in the schools. This is quality education.

Our educated professionals are just a bunch of asshole snobs. They would rather work in a stinky air but will not organize to clean a place in their hospital.

5000 beds are too many for any hospital. The newspapers will come out in chore that BD is No. 1 in hospital bed numbers. Very silly people!! Beds should be allocated to many other hospitals instead of concentrating in one place that will be called cowshed in the future.

It is good to know there are a few makers of at least little medical equipment in the country. I hope the govt people will not call international tenders for these locally produced goods.

About beautified buildings, I would say even with all those pictures I have seen in the PDF, more than 1.4 million patients visit India for treatment. So, it seems many fundamentals are missing in the country.

I wonder what this 5,000-bed hospital means. Will it not be another large COW SHED that you see in the Mohakhali Cholera Hospital. It is so stinky and there is no management action to remove the human dirt by timely cleaning.

It may be because our educated people are taught to disrespect cleaning by hands. In Japan, every child is taught to clean every floor and ground every day in the schools. This is quality education.

Our educated professionals are just a bunch of asshole snobs. They would rather work in a stinky air but will not organize to clean a place in their hospital.

5000 beds are too many for any hospital. The newspapers will come out in chore that BD is No. 1 in hospital bed numbers. Very silly people!! Beds should be allocated to many other hospitals instead of concentrating in one place that will be called cowshed in the future.

You are right @bluesky bhai, lot of values need to change. But it won't happen soon.

Re: medical treatment in India, the reason people go to India is because the fees for the doctors and medical procedures in India are cheaper than Bangladesh and standards for care are higher. Indian Doctors and nurses are better trained. The level of education and job skills in Bangladesh are low because we are not in as desperate a situation as in India. In India (Bimaru states especially), if you put out a circular for a couple of peon positions, 50,000 people (some with Ph.D's) will apply.

Even then - Kolkata medical facilities are fleecing Bangladeshis because of our ignorance, Facilities in Chennai and Bangalore are much cheaper and better than Kolkata.

Bro this is also the case with Pakistan motorways. It's kept some 3-4 meters above Ground level for the same reasons. So that can't be the differencing factor. Pakistani members here can also comment here on this. Almost all motorways. I had the pleasure of working on one such motorway (Hazara motorway) during construction. Our motorway was about 10 feet above ground level at minimum.

Either it's above GL or its cut out of high elevation sloppy mountain.
I must tell you that do not believe in this kind of newspaper gossip until it is awarded to a contractor.

BAL party is famous for writing fictitious news. It may be one of them and for the next one year, you won't see any follow-ups. Then within this period, many other fictions will be written by the bureaucrats for printing in the newspapers.

The BAL propaganda machine fails even the Goebel machine of Hitler's Germany.

Average AIIMS cost $250 million USD in India. Even that is seen as expensive. $2.1 Billion is astronomical for South Asia :woot:

Some of this stolen money is going to Modi - paid as tithes to keep his mouth shut.

Not much for Indians to worry about...

Do not compare apple with orange. AIIMS, recently opened (six in 2019) are usually small medical colleges with 50 MBBS students intake per year. So, 250 million Dollar cost is sufficient to build them. These are more or less equivalent of one of those recently inaugurated public medical Colleges in Bangladesh. For example, the newest public Medical college in Bangladesh costed 1108 crore Taka($130 million). This medical college also admit 50 MBBS students per year.

Taking account of corruption, there are also other reasons why this project will cost $2.1 billion.

I am not sure how much additional land will be needed to construct this project. But this article says the new complex will be build on 108 bighas(36 acres) of land. Now, this Dhaka medical college is located in the most congested part of the city and land price there is highest in Bangladesh (like per acre 10-20 million US Dollar). Bangladesh govt. has policy to compensate the land owner three times the market price. If they need acquisition of substantial amount of private land for this expanstion, then land acquision will cost a big chunk of this amount.

This project is not only about building a 5000 bed hospital. This article says 27 building will be constructed, Six of them 17 floors and 21 are 20 floors. Constructing and furnishing all these building with state of the art equipment will be costly. They are building three-storey underground 5000 car parking facility, this alone indicate, this project will be on a grand scale. Do this look like one of those AIIMS with 50 MBBS student intake per year?

Currently Dhaka medical college admit 230 MBBS student per year, but after completion of this project, this medical college may admit a thousand MBBS student per year. This will make it one of the largest medical learning institution in the world. They are also making plan to make it a hub of medical research in Bangladesh with this project. These things can not be achieved cheaply.

Corruption will almost certainly be a part of this cost. But it is not like they are hiking it 10 times than required.
1643903741000.png

So far, you have uploaded quite a few super-specialized photographs of hospitals in BD. But why then do people go to India and Singapore and pay huge money there?

I do not think when this new facility is built, Kolkata people will visit it. There will be 5,000 beds. I wonder if these beds should not be distributed among 50 or 100 hospitals around the country.

BD wants to become Number 1 in stupid things. This 5,000-bed cow shed will not treat people. All traffic will stop at the gate in this case.

I do not think nice-looking buildings can cure a disease. It needs sincere doctors and dedicated nurses plus good quality medicines that attract people.

In general, BD people are insincere. This results in bad politicians, bad bureaucrats, bad engineers, and bad doctors. The entire philosophy of these people revolves around money, the tendency to show it off to people.

But, in any case, this hospital building program has been hatched in the heads of BAL politicians. Similar things will continue until the election.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom