What's new

3 more OHP class Frigates to be delivered to Pakistan between 2014-2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SQS-56 and DE 1160, which is the Italian version, is used in:
Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates (US), Spain (Santa Maria), Australia (Adelaide) and Taiwan (Cheng Kung), plus users of ex-US ships including Turkey, Egypt, Poland, Bahrein, Pakistan
Italian Lupo and Meastrale class frigates, Durand de la Penne class destroyers
Greek Hydra class frigates (Meko200H)
Turkish Yavuz class frigate (Meko200TN-I, 200TN-II and 200TNIIA)
Saudi Badr class corvette
Chinese Type 51G and 052 destroyers

Italian DE-1164 is consisted of 2 subsystems using the same electrical cabinet, DE-1160 hull mounted sonar (HMS, with a maximum range around 20 km) and DE-1163 variable depth sonar (VDS). Spain replaced the old SQS-23G sonar on its Baleares frigates (Knox variant) by a more modern DE-1160LF set, built in Spain (a larger, lower frequency version of the SQS-56 sonar)

PN still has no money. I bet building a F22P at home (let alone an improved design) is more expensive than the $175m freidnship price that the Chinese delivered for. And significantly more expensive than $65m for a hot transfer of an ex-USN ship.

The hull remains the hull, obviously. But who is to say the GTU's in McInerney today are those she was initially delivered with to the USN? It would be efficient (for ship availability) to swap out GTU units when original units need refurbishments: you take out those that need work and stick others in their place (which may have already been refurbished, so you ship doesn't need to linger shore-side while its GTU are worked on).

The hull sonar of the OHP isn't impressive, but when comboned with a towed array
, it's a different ball game. Then add an helicopter (which may also be Z-9). While I'm sure some environments pose greater challenges than others to the sonar suite a a whole, I am also confident USN has selected a system that provides usefullness in all manner of scenario that a USN ship might find itself in around the globe.

Question is how does the sonar in OHP compare to e.g. the original fit in the Type 21 (Sonar Type 184M and 162M) . Upon delivery, the first four Type 21 for PN underwent upgrade to equip them with the 9LV Mk3 command, control and communication system as well as Bofors torpedoes and, reportedly, the BAeSEMA-Thomson Sintra active towed array sonars. So, how does OHP fit compare to that? Finally, how does it compare to F22Ps sonar, which (I read somewhere) has not a chinese sonar but a European one. In any case, it does not sound to me as though TRype 21's original sonar fit, nor the upgrade, nor F22P sonar fit have sonars specifically designed for Pakistan's coastal area and beyond. Besides, PN is operating in the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean. Are you suggesting OHPs fit is not working there? This makes no sense: the USN would have been seriously handicapped for years. It is a good fit, but surely you can find coastal areas or sea conditions where it does not function optimally. But that goes for ANY sonar and is not a disqualifier.

So, I'm sorry, you have to become more specific about those limitations and its causes..

Obviously you "read" alot, but alot of info you have mentioned in your comments is not actually true.
But its good to be optimistic about everything.

I am also sorry that becoming more specific will not be possible coz unfortunately I am not willing to discuss further operational details.

OHP is a very competent platform inspite of the age (35 years old)

However, i think it would be wise for Pakistan to build more upgraded F-22P and use them as the backbone of PN, but then there would be a problem of F-22P and their light armament, while it's either competent to do Anti-Air and Anti-Ship attack, it's not enough to do both. PN would probably wise to acquire more OHP for supplymentry service and take the load off of the F-22P, i reckon PN should look at acquiring more OHP (either from US or other Allied like Spain or Australia), while the OHP focus on Aerial Target, F-22P focus on Sea/Ground target. PN should also consider putting Mk41 VLS on their OHP frigate.

In theory, it's best for PN to have at least 12 F-22P and 8 OHP in service. Eventually PN would require to have air defence destroyer if they want to competently hold the naval region they Own.

Depend on what is PN intentional target, if PN goal is to counter India in this aim, the best PN can do is to hold India as long as you can in case of war, and awaiting the Chinese Fleet intervention. I think ultimately, PN would need about 12 Subs (Nuclear/Diesel) 30 Frigate (20 F-22P combine with other Frigate, OHP or homemade) and 10 Destroyer (Possible Type 52C/D or later) to be able to competently defend Pakistani Coast

That's beyond an overkill, and way too expensive.

The other branches of Pakistan's military will suffer to buy and upkeep all that.

Obviously you "read" alot, but alot of info you have mentioned in your comments is not actually true.
But its good to be optimistic about everything.

I am also sorry that becoming more specific will not be possible coz unfortunately I am not willing to discuss further operational details.

There is noone being optimistic about anything. Quite the contrary, I'm tryging to arrive a a reralistic assessment. For that purpose, I've invited you - and still am - to share your knowledge. I am not asking you to reveal anyting secret. But you are not forthcoming. When you claim I'm saying things that are not true, why to you not become specific about that it is that you claim is not true (you don't have to reveal anything, only become specific about what part you think is not correct). I've used open source material where possible because others can verify that. Since when is that a bad thing? And since when can one not discuss a topic without revealing operational details. To me it just sounds like 'acting mysterious'. There are plenty professionals out there who discus topics without 'revealing operational details' .

If you serve(d), may I ask what kind of PN ship (class) and roughly when (e.g. pre or post 2000, if the former, pre or post 1995 and if the latter pre or post 2007?\

Or is 'can neither confirm nor deny', or 'could tell you but would have to kill you'?

There is noone being optimistic about anything. Quite the contrary, I'm tryging to arrive a a reralistic assessment. For that purpose, I've invited you - and still am - to share your knowledge. I am not asking you to reveal anyting secret. But you are not forthcoming. When you claim I'm saying things that are not true, why to you not become specific about that it is that you claim is not true (you don't have to reveal anything, only become specific about what part you think is not correct). I've used open source material where possible because others can verify that. Since when is that a bad thing? And since when can one not discuss a topic without revealing operational details. To me it just sounds like 'acting mysterious'. There are plenty professionals out there who discus topics without 'revealing operational details' .

If you serve(d), may I ask what kind of PN ship (class) and roughly when (e.g. pre or post 2000, if the former, pre or post 1995 and if the latter pre or post 2007?\

Or is 'can neither confirm nor deny', or 'could tell you but would have to kill you'?

Being realistic is good and we all need to do that.
But being realistic on such public forums can cause more harm than benefit.

I very humbly decline to share any personal or official information on a public forum.
I am not "acting mysterious". I am sorry I led the discussion to this extent anyway.

We should keep the discussion limited to the open source material already available openly.
There is nothing bad in that.

That's beyond an overkill, and way too expensive.

The other branches of Pakistan's military will suffer to buy and upkeep all that.

well, in a perfect world, in a perfect world......

That's why i said ultimately......

Being realistic is good and we all need to do that.
But being realistic on such public forums can cause more harm than benefit.

I very humbly decline to share any personal or official information on a public forum.
I am not "acting mysterious". I am sorry I led the discussion to this extent anyway.

We should keep the discussion limited to the open source material already available openly.
There is nothing bad in that.

I respect and appreciate the sensitivity in relation to the issue of operational security and personal information. My apologies if I've pressed too much.

06vlmica06.jpg

stock-photo-5121999-headache-horizontal-black-portrait-one-indian-youth-man-male-pain.jpg

shipejk.jpg

070716.jpg

Arrival of 3 OHP frigates will offer a formidable check on Indian Navy , and equipped with Genesis Upgrades
shm311.jpg

Last edited:
Some sort of SAM system (preferably RIM-162 Evolved SeaSparrow Missile (ESSM) or may be Umkhonto surface-to-air missiles as i believe Chinese options are out question for US provided ships) is a must have along with Harpoons onboard these ships

I think so that US might refuse in the end as it used to do. But I will prefer getting some Chinese Twin Engine Propeller planes for MPA roles and about 11 of them with Avionics and Sensors that can detect and engage Submarines and Ships...

Well 4 OHP offers some serious improvements plus our 4-8 F22P frigates offer a ample deterrent to any misadventure by our neighbors

ohp_deck_view.gif

F22P and OHP offer a great improvement for performance for Pakistani Navy

F22P Pakistan
25_108309_ddb50f899dedbf6.jpg

Why it is said that old OHPs are ahead in terms of tech to our F-22Ps? and what advantage they have over F-22Ps and what we can install at them?

We have everthing in here why dont we even tried to built one ourselves .. We need to achieve self efficiency in field of military

Why it is said that old OHPs are ahead in terms of tech to our F-22Ps? and what advantage they have over F-22Ps and what we can install at them?

OHP class is frigate but F-22P is competing with our Corvettes & OPVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom