What's new

3 Year Extension for COAS Pakistan

Congrats to you and COAS for another 3 year extension, he is truly a remarkable and able General. I am sure he will do lots for the PA in the extension period. But I personally feel the term of Chief of Army should not be extended beyond its retirement, as there are lots and lots of other capable People to lead the army. This process leads to frustration and demoralization amongst the ranks. The army is a place of equal opportunity. The Generals even after retirement do continue to guide and advice the working at various levels. Still heartiest congratulations to General Kiyani.

People criticizing the extension in term of COAS General Kayani perhaps forget that Pakistan is in a state of war. Military history is full of examples where a change in command during an ongoing war produced disastrous results. Though most people seem to agree that Kayani should have been given extension, the criticism has mostly fallen on the duration – three years. It may seem to be a lot, but such is the state of affairs. The war we are fighting is in it’s critical stages.

I agree with people who put institutions before personality cults, but even army’s staunchest critics admit General Kayani’s achievements. Why not make the most of such a man’s leadership at a time when it is most required?

I agree that a three year extension will deny at least one or two generals their rightful place, but I don’t think that is such a big price to be paid at this point in time. Those who claim that Kayani should have set a precedent for the future by rejecting the offer like Kakar are right in their place.

But what will it achieve? Will it ensure army’s institutional progress? Will it guarantee against army’s political ambitions? I don’t think so. All military coups were products of political inaptitude and were orchestrated by ambitious chiefs. General Kakar’s refusal to hold onto the chair did not deter Musharraf from booting out the civilian government.

Gen Kayani’s extension should not be seen merely in the context of local politics. That would be short-sightedness. It should be viewed rather in the backdrop of the new great game being played between the world powers in the region. I hope Gen Kayani can deliver the goods in this war. We owe a lot to him already, but i hope that he oversees US withdrawal process from Afghanistan ensuring that Pakistan’s interests are safeguarded.

In my opinion, more good will come out of Gen Kayani’s extension than people can think of.

:pakistan:

Pakistan is fighting an internal war, INTERNAL war!

Military history is full of examples where a change in command during an ongoing war produced disastrous results.

Lets stay in a circle for a while. Give me some examples of generals who got extension in the U.S., India and Pakistan. Lets analyze the background in which thOSE generals were given extension.

Keep in mind that we are fighting an internal war. If a three year extension was inevitable than I should assume that the U.S. and India were right; Pakistan is and was going in the hands of Taliban. Do you really think that the new COAS would have called all his soldiers back the very next day of his appointment?

I agree with people who put institutions before personality cults, but even army’s staunchest critics admit General Kayani’s achievements. Why not make the most of such a man’s leadership at a time when it is most required?
Please tell me the names of the staunchest critics.

Gen Kayani’s extension should not be seen merely in the context of local politics.
So you acknowledge that there is a political aspect too?

PM delivering the speech at night--Gen was retiring tomorrow? No, PM had enough time to deliver that speech during the day, no? Perhaps, some boots came in and Pakistan tujhe salam!

Precisely. This is a time when we should be uniting against the enemies instead of career concerns . Seniority alone is not a criterion to become the COAS. We can hardly afford a COAS who will further destabilize the already volatile situation in Pakistan. General Kayani is doing well and why should we replace him. Everything regarding the extension has been been done within the capacity of the constitution.

You are saying this because you are not that unfortunate general who will not be promoted as the other fellow got three years extension, am I right?
So you do not trust your commanders? Maybe, Gen Kiyani is the last general surviving..

What a shame! We are worried that the next lot of generals are not capable--
:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

real professional soldiers retire with dignity when their time comes & are definitely the exponents of merit.

Adm. Mullen in the US is also operating on an extension I believe.

In the case of Gen. Kayani, the extension was offered by the GoP, and not a 'self imposed' extension.

One could argue, based on the Prime Ministers address to the nation, that the GoP made a very strong argument to the COAS that his acceptance of the extension was essential for Pakistan's security and stability. And in the presence of such an argument made by the leadership of the country, is it appropriate to fault the COAS for accepting the extension?

If anything, if you disagree with the extension, the criticizm should be primarily directed at the GoP for offering it, and not at Gen. Kayani for accepting it.

Adm. Mullen in the US is also operating on an extension I believe.

In the case of Gen. Kayani, the extension was offered by the GoP, and not a 'self imposed' extension.

One could argue, based on the Prime Ministers address to the nation, that the GoP made a very strong argument to the COAS that his acceptance of the extension was essential for Pakistan's security and stability. And in the presence of such an argument made by the leadership of the country, is it appropriate to fault the COAS for accepting the extension?

If anything, if you disagree with the extension, the criticizm should be primarily directed at the GoP for offering it, and not at Gen. Kayani for accepting it.

The U.S. is in Afghanistan and Iraq fighting war. Thus, their extension makes sense as they are in foreign land.
Where are we fighting? The tribal areas of Pluto? No, we are fighting an internal war and other generals are also capable to take over the position.

Last edited:
While there is no doubt regarding the law which states the Gen Kiyani's retirement is now due, there are multiple circumstances in military personnel have been called out of retirement or their retirement delayed primarily due to their expertise in a certain situation.
Now the question arises is that why this was done?
Its true that Gen Kiyani is a through professional and will NEVER step out of line with the civilian leadership. So if this is the primary reason why the PPP leadership decided to extend his tenure then most likely there would have been some disgruntled generals at the last corp conference.
If there is such a case then while the generals may object to this, they might not be able to act, again.Gen Kiyani is very popular with the troops, after all conditions and pay have improved considerably in his tenure.. In case there are disgruntled voiced, unlike before they might not be effective in bringing a change..since the troops respect Gen Kiyani and wont go against him.
(If one remembers certain meetings that happened between Gen Kiyani and President Zardari in a recent judicial and parliamentary crisis it can be sensed that a corp commanders meeting had much to do with it and it was Gen Kiyani voicing the concerns of his round table to the President. Perhaps it is fear of a rogue Gen in the staff that has the PPP govt extending Gen Kiyani's tenure.

On the other hand, it could be that it is during Kayani's tenure as COAS that the War against the Extremists has seen a brighter day compared to the follies in Musharraf's time. It is also possible that this has been noticed by our erstwhile masters the Americans and have conveyed their wish to see Kiyani in office. The relationship between Gen Kiyani and Mullen is generally positive.. not so with Gen Petraus.. but to the American Policy Makers a Man directing focus on the western front and keeping the pressure off their troops is worth the effort of making a phone call to our President.

It was the necessity of time not to have another Martial Law after Musharaf era. People of Pakistan would have chopped their (generals) head off if Pakistan tujhe salam went for another Martial Law.
The question is not BS 'jamhuri pasand general'--
The question is how to chop the head of the past dictators so the coming generations can foresee their future!

Gen Kiyani has done a lot but there are other generals too who can do the same if not more..

The U.S. is in Afghanistan and Iraq fighting war. Thus, their extension makes sense as they are in foreign land.
Where are we fighting? The tribal areas of Pluto? No, we are fighting an internal war and other generals are also capable to take over the position.
How does fighting a foreign war necessitate continuity and a domestic war not so?

This argument makes no sense.

While there is no doubt regarding the law which states the Gen Kiyani's retirement is now due, there are multiple circumstances in military personnel have been called out of retirement or their retirement delayed primarily due to their expertise in a certain situation.
Now the question arises is that why this was done?
Its true that Gen Kiyani is a through professional and will NEVER step out of line with the civilian leadership. So if this is the primary reason why the PPP leadership decided to extend his tenure then most likely there would have been some disgruntled generals at the last corp conference.
If there is such a case then while the generals may object to this, they might not be able to act, again.Gen Kiyani is very popular with the troops, after all conditions and pay have improved considerably in his tenure.. In case there are disgruntled voiced, unlike before they might not be effective in bringing a change..since the troops respect Gen Kiyani and wont go against him.
(If one remembers certain meetings that happened between Gen Kiyani and President Zardari in a recent judicial and parliamentary crisis it can be sensed that a corp commanders meeting had much to do with it and it was Gen Kiyani voicing the concerns of his round table to the President. Perhaps it is fear of a rogue Gen in the staff that has the PPP govt extending Gen Kiyani's tenure.

On the other hand, it could be that it is during Kayani's tenure as COAS that the War against the Extremists has seen a brighter day compared to the follies in Musharraf's time. It is also possible that this has been noticed by our erstwhile masters the Americans and have conveyed their wish to see Kiyani in office. The relationship between Gen Kiyani and Mullen is generally positive.. not so with Gen Petraus.. but to the American Policy Makers a Man directing focus on the western front and keeping the pressure off their troops is worth the effort of making a phone call to our President.

Why erstwhile?

Too many holes in this argument, Santro.

To avoid the vertigo it causes please refer to Saad's comments #93,
"You are saying this because you are not that unfortunate general who will not be promoted as the other fellow got three years extension, am I right?
So you do not trust your commanders? Maybe, Gen Kiyani is the last general surviving..

AoA
My personal opinion is this 3 year extension is a bad decision and reflects poorly on the army top hierarchy. WOT the way is being fought should have a unanimous support from the generals. So there is no reason why some other general cant take over where Kayani has left.Until and unless there is a conflict among them.
Also I don't think the decision for this extension would have been taken without involving Kayani himself. Obviously he agreed and that's why the decision was made public. Not very professional for someone who's action so far has been otherwise.

AoA
My personal opinion is this 3 year extension is a bad decision and reflects poorly on the army top hierarchy. WOT the way is being fought should have a unanimous support from the generals. So there is no reason why some other general cant take over where Kayani has left.Until and unless there is a conflict among them.
Also I don't think the decision for this extension would have been taken without involving Kayani himself. Obviously he agreed and that's why the decision was made public. Not very professional for someone who's action so far has been otherwise.

There is always danger of Masrshal Law and history of Ayub,Zia ,Musharaf could repeat itself.

We need to strenghten our democratic institutions and justice system.

Miltery structure of India is same as Pakistan but their Generals never try to destroy the democractic process.

Why??????

All is well.................................If Ends WELL.............. Lets see.

You are saying this because you are not that unfortunate general who will not be promoted as the other fellow got three years extension, am I right?

:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Extension of Kayani may be part of Musharaf deal with PPP&MLN Etc.

Gilani's choice of three years was a surprise. But not by mere coincidence, Gilani's government also has three years remaining in its tenure. And so it's certainly possible that there is a deal between Gilani's Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and Kayani, perhaps involving foreign guarantors, to let this ship sail for three more years (with Gilani wearing the captain's hat steering an imaginary wheel and Kayani actually in control). Indeed, Gilani alluded to a possible deal when he said today that Pakistan's four major "stakeholders" -- the president, prime minister, army chief, and Supreme Court chief justice -- are in a "secure position" till 2013. [...]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-mull/general-kayanis-silent-co_b_657928.html

General Kayani's "Silent Coup" in Pakistan: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised at how Members here , are happy about this extension.

I would have imagined , past experience with leaders who would not respect term laws. Would have made people opposed to such decisions.

Even if the General is an respectable man , even as to set the right example would people have not have preferred him to have stepped down.

Or am i mistaken in my view that Pakistan has had bad experience's with leaders who would not step down ?

Back
Top Bottom