What's new

6 trillion barrels oil in Baluchistan?

Cannot say if its true or not, but the geographical location of Balochistan, gives rise to a thought about something more than normal being buried there.

BUT, it should be made clear that we make our selves stronger and capable of handling the resoure- refiing factor,, and the resource- media and hype factor, before any real transformation.

I too think that the resources may not be or are not 6 trillion.But the correct estimation based on the geographical location of Balochistan makes it possible that Pakistan can at least become self sufficient in ENERGY.

As I said earlier the Baloch coast is only few miles away from Dubai.

And yes we have to be first of all self sufficient and able to protect our resources before going for vigorous explorations.The greatest threat is American presence in Afghanistan.

The way they are supporting the Baloch insurgency there must be some thing More than normal buried there which they might know and we may not.

I too think that the resources may not be or are not 6 trillion.But the correct estimation based on the geographical location of Balochistan makes it possible that Pakistan can at least become self sufficient in ENERGY.
As I said earlier the Baloch coast is only few miles away from Dubai.

Who is preventing you? N.Sharif has ruled Pakistan from early 80's to mid 90's but it never occured to you to go and tell the donkey head the secret of prosperity.
Now when lot of exploration and development is going on in Baluchistan, people like you want to change the course.

And yes we have to be first of all self sufficient and able to protect our resources before going for vigorous explorations.The greatest threat is American presence in Afghanistan.

What? How come American presence in Afghanistan is more threat than American or Israeli presence in India?

No state can bring any harm to Pakistan without the support of India.
It is strategic balance; Pakistan must deal with US while it is only in Afghanistan.
Don’t forget, India was the first country in the world which offered US not only its territory but also its logistical support if he wishes to overrun Pakistan.
The way they are supporting the Baloch insurgency there must be some thing More than normal buried there which they might know and we may not.

How about Zardari, what is he upto?

Still...sizeable coal and gas reserves does give Pakistan the opportunity to enter the hydrogen age. Investing in systems that could allow us to use coal based synthetic fuel for heavy local consumer use, and convert gas to LNG for local industrial complexes. So long as we cut our energy imports and keep natural resources like coal and gas - a bloodline - at home in government hands, we can regulate our own economic growth. However one cannot deny that the export of synthetic fuel and LNG can bring in a lot of capital revenue - money that could be spread into education, health and infrastructure. Plus after the coal/gas runs out, Pakistan could be a solid hydrogen producing state...so long as it continues investment in the field as it uses coal/gas.

I really don't think we'll find much oil just because it borders with iran doesn't mean it's as rich most of iran's oil fields are not in balochistan i don't think they have any there infact thought i might be wrong but they're all in the north near iraq and around the caspian sea.

Let us get the facts straight.

Pakistan’s current proven reserves of oil are in the 300 to 400-million barrel range. Total world reserves are about 1-trillion barrels, quarter of these are in the Saudi Arabia. To even think that we have 6 times the world total oil reserves is living in cuckoo land; and to think that educated and rational members of this column start believing this flight of fancy makes me wonder about the sanity of my countrymen.

First oil discovery in the area now Pakistan was in 1915 at Khor. That is why the company was called Attock Oil Company. We have been exploring oil in this region for more than 80 years and even if we had a fraction of 6-trillion barrels, some of it would surely have been found by now. Even Angolans and Sudanese have found oil. Most optimistic estimate of Pakistan’s potential are 50-billion barrels. Even if we find 20-billin barrels, we would be lucky.

Most of the discoveries in Baluchistan have been gas fields. Our current gas reserves are about 32-TCF and with luck we might triple this figure. Even 100-TCF is puny compared to 975-TCF in Qatar and Iran.

Most of Pakistani coal is brown coal or lignite. This type has only 25% carbon content and is good for power generation only. For comparison; anthracite has approx 95% carbon content and the bituminous coal has 50 to 80% carbon content.

I am as much a patriot as any Pakistani, but patriotism does not mean we should let go of the reason and start believing in fairy tales.

Firstly about discoveries; with the use of modern technology and satellite photographs, according to most expert opinions nearly all of large reservoirs (5-bilion barrels or more) have already been discovered and the remaining large discoveries will be in the 1-billion to 3 – billion barrels deposits. This includes even off shore oil wells. Middle East discoveries are in the shallow fields, that is Cretaceous zone. Pakistani discoveries in the Attock area much deeper; normal exploration depth is 16,000 ft and can sometimes be even deeper and down to Jurassic rocks.

Most of the new oil/gas wells are capped until the time facilities and infra structures for exploiting these can be developed. North Sea oil was first discovered in 1960 but first commercial production started 11 years later in 1971. Another reason can be that the reservoir is very small and not in commercial quantity. This limit changes over time. For example Stanvac (discoverers of Mari gas field) found a few small gas field but these were capped because in 1960’s, price of oil made these uneconomic. These blocks were released and later purchased by other companies when oil prices went up. A few of the north Sind gas fields are among these. While I have no way of knowing why the gas wells mentioned in one the post were capped, but there are always genuine reasons and not out of spite towards the country.

There is no doubt that oil and gas exploration in Pakistan has not received as much investment as we would like. One of the reasons is lukewarm interest by the oil companies in Pakistan. Once at the occasion of IP dinner in London, Chairman of Lasmo Company was on my table. They had about 1-TCF gas reserves in the northern Sind. His opinion was that international oil companies consider Pakistan as a gas producing country and a maximum potential of 100-TCF reserves. (As a very rough indication, one can assume 10-TCF as equivalent to 1-billion barrels of oil). Gas is not easily exportable and therefore they are not jumping over each other to grab exploration blocks in Pakistan. IMO probability of finding large gas fields in Pakistan is definitely there. About large oil deposits I am not so sure.

We have to remember that finding large deposits of oil and exporting the same is no panacea. I have had the opportunity of visiting Nigeria many times. Before Oil, Nigeria was an agricultural country and average Nigerian was probably better off. After oil, there was the civil war, oil producing region Biafra wanted to secede. (With the polarization in Pakistan, the possibility that Sind or Baluchistan would like to separate if they found huge oil deposits in their Province remains) After the civil war, people left their fields and gravitated towards Lagos making it one of the biggest slums in the world. Nigeria takes the cake when it comes to corruption. How do you think Pakistanis will react??

I sincerely hope that enough deposits are discovered in Pakistan to us self sufficient in energy but no more.

Excellent analysis as expected from you Sir! :cheers:

Dr Salman recently claimed that we'll be using advances satellite mapping system for the first time in our history in order to get better estimates of out mineral potential since major parts of the country are still untouched.
The $72 billion of Cooper and Gold field in Balochistan which was discovered in 2005 is a result of that technology.
What are the chances that we'll discover more gas and perhaps oil in our coastal area's and Indus Delta?
We still haven't covered all blocks in Makran coast or Arabian Sea Plate.

Excellent analysis as expected from you Sir! :cheers:

Dr Salman recently claimed that we'll be using advances satellite mapping system for the first time in our history in order to get better estimates of out mineral potential since major parts of the country are still untouched.
The $72 billion of Cooper and Gold field in Balochistan which was discovered in 2005 is a result of that technology.
What are the chances that we'll discover more gas and perhaps oil in our coastal area's and Indus Delta?
We still haven't covered all blocks in Makran coast or Arabian Sea Plate.

why isnt the world running to Isld to sign mining rights for the copper and gold fields?

at the moment it is not cost-effective to mine these sites. the overall costs are prohibitive as per my information - pls correct me.

I think he refers to the Reqodiq discovery in Chagi, it is known that it is very rich in gold element.
This is also known as worlds second biggest found reserves of copper/gold, only second to Escondida Chile.

We have to be care ful while making contracts with foreign companies. they are always try to get the most.
I'm against giving ownership to foreign companies in the form of share.
We should invest by our self possibly through public loans.

I think he refers to the Reqodiq discovery in Chagi, it is known that it is very rich in gold element.
This is also known as worlds second biggest found reserves of copper/gold, only second to Escondida Chile.

We have to be care ful while making contracts with foreign companies. they are always try to get the most.
I'm against giving ownership to foreign companies in the form of share.
We should invest by our self possibly through public loans.

Thats correct, but our reserves are world's fifth largest, not second.

Fifth largest gold, copper reserves found in Balochistan
Thursday October 12, 2006

QUETTA: World’s fifth largest reserves of gold and copper were discovered here in Chaghi area here on Wednesday.

According to Voice of America (VoA), Maqbool Ahmed, Director General Provincial Department of Mineralogy told two multinationals Canadian and Chilean firms who were issued licenses ten years earlier for exploration of gold in the Rekodik area. They have completed the exploration work and have chalked out a project for the extraction of gold and copper. In the preliminary stage the two companies will invest a billion US dollars in the project.

According to Maqbool Ahmed 0.2 million tons of copper and 0.4 million ounce gold will be produced annually through the said project. This is the fifth biggest reserve in world that will turn the fortune of the area.

The Balochistan government will get a share of 25%. With the start of the project employment opportunity will be provided to 3000 youth of the province.

According to Maqbool Ahmed there are gold reserves in Zhob and Lasbela districts of the province and 9 multinationals have been issued licenses for their exploration.

On the other hand the opposition parties in the province expressing their reservations charged that Islamabad wish to loot the resources of the province.

Opposition leader Jan Muhammad Baledi said the gold and copper project at Rekodik will meet the same fate as the Sui gas and Saindak projects and will not bring any good to the people of Balochistan.

Pakistan News Service - PakTribune

why isnt the world running to Isld to sign mining rights for the copper and gold fields?

at the moment it is not cost-effective to mine these sites. the overall costs are prohibitive as per my information - pls correct me.

Oh yes the world is running already mate, China, Chili, Canada and Australia sofar have shown interst as Russia is still trying to get lisence for mining in Balochistan.
Here are some reports I posted in a ralated thread:

Chilean co to invest in Balochistan

ISLAMABAD: Chilean Antofagasta Mining Company is planning to initially invest $75 million for the development of Rakodiq Copper project in Balochistan by training Balochs on site and in mines in Chile.

Chairman of the company Mr Jean Pual Luksic said at a meeting with Federal Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Amanullah Khan Jadoon on Monday. Mr Luksic said the initial investment would help to fast track and build the mine costing approximately $500-700 million.

"This will also create over 2000 jobs in Balochistan in the next 3-5 years", the Chairman of Autofagasta added. According to an official statement, the company is interested in expanding from South America into the Asian market and sees Pakistan as an area of focus because of its mining potential and strategic location, especially with the upcoming Gwadar Port, he informed.

Federal Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Amanullah Khan Jadoon assured the company that the government would provide all cooperation and facilities for investing in Pakistan, particularly in Balochistan.

However, the minister asked the investing company to set up a training facility in Balochistan to meet the technical manpower demand locally. Rakodiq Copper project had about one billion tons of copper along with deposits of gold in their mines, Mr Jadoon added.

Autofagasta recently acquired 50% of Thethyan Copper Company by investing $133 million. The company is also considered one of the 10 largest copper producers in the world and has a market capitalization of over $6 billion. Managing Director of Australian Thethyan Copper Company David Moore, Secretary Petroleum Ahmed Waqar, Chairman TCC/ Autofagasta Company in Pakistan Muslim Lakhani and senior officials of the ministry were also attended the meeting.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Oct 5, 2006

China digs Pakistan into a hole
By Syed Fazl-e-Haider

QUETTA, Balochistan - The Rs18 billion (US$297 million) Saindak copper-gold project in the Pakistani province of Balochistan has been run by a Chinese contractor on a 10-year lease without any independent monitoring for the past three years.

Higher-than-anticipated production of blister copper at the site in the Chaghi district may reduce the estimated 19-year life of the mine. If the rate of mining continues unchecked, the Chinese contractors will exploit all the resource within the 10-year lease period, leaving no copper or gold for Pakistan to mine from Saindak after the lease contract comes to an end.

Is the project really yielding a prudent return to Pakistan in the absence of any monitoring mechanism? Technical calculations and financial data need to be maintained about the project's return in terms of production and metal sales. Only on the basis of these data can one decide who is the real beneficiary of the Saindak project, China or Pakistan. Yet the Pakistani government has failed to find an independent monitor.

According to best estimates before the lease was signed, Pakistan should have nine more years for mining copper and gold from the Saindak project after the Chinese hand it back. But if there is nothing left to mine, Pakistan will be the ultimate loser.

The Saindak project was based on estimated ore reserves of 412 million tonnes containing on average 0.5 gram of gold per tonne and 1.5 grams of silver per tonne. The mine is reported to have produced about 50,000 tonnes since October 2003. According to official estimates, the project has the capacity to produce 15,800 tonnes of blister copper annually, containing 1.5 tonnes of gold and 2.8 tonnes of silver. The reported production results, however, have generally remained on average more than 2,000 tonnes per month, which means that more than production of 24,000 tonnes per year has been taking place.

The discovery of copper deposits at Saindak was made in the 1970s in collaboration with a Chinese engineering firm. The Saindak copper-gold project was set up by Saindak Metals Ltd (SML), a company wholly owned by the government of Pakistan, by the end of 1995 at a cost of Rs13.5 billion.

It was financed through Pakistani investment and guaranteed borrowings. The project was put on trial production during the period from August 1995 to January 1996, and it achieved the designed production capacity and quality. It produced 1,541 tonnes of blister copper containing 12 kilograms of gold and 198kg of silver during trial operations, which sere sold in the international market at a price of Rs280 million. The project was then shut down in February 1996 because of a lack of working capital.

The Bank of America and ABN Amro had agreed to lend Rs15 billion as working capital against guarantees of Islamabad. The two banks, however, backed out of their commitment because of the economic sanctions that were imposed against Pakistan after its May 1998 nuclear tests. This once again threw the project into abeyance. Then the Chinese contractors who had been involved with the project since its inception offered to take over the project's management. The Chinese proposals injected new life into the long-neglected project.

About Rs1.3 billion was put into the project in the late 1990s under the military government of President General Pervez Musharraf to revive the mine and the operation was leased to the Chinese company Metallurgical Construction Corp (MCC) for 10 years in September 2002. Pakistan and China signed a formal contract worth $350 million for development of Saindak copper/gold project. Under the lease agreement, MCC was to run the project on an annual rent of $500,000 plus a 50% share of copper sales to the Pakistani government.

It is primarily a fault on the part of those drafting the lease contract with MCC that they neglected to identify and discuss the issues relating to excessive mining or a monitoring mechanism to check and evaluate the production from Saindak. A technical body for monitoring and evaluation of the production and export of copper, gold and silver at the Saindak project should have been constituted before the copper and gold assets were handed over to Chinese.

An effort was reportedly made in 2004 to appoint a technical firm for this purpose, but only a single non-responsive bid was received and the Pakistani government had to cancel the bidding results. Officials say that the poor response for a monitoring contract was due to a lack of base-metal analyzing technology in the country. The option of engaging some international firm for the scheme was not considered because of high costs.

Bids were reportedly invited from financial institutions to undertake technical and financial monitoring of the project, which was not practical because such institutions did not have the capacity to monitor a highly technical project such as Saindak for a period of 10 years, and hence technical firms failed to meet the bid criteria. At present, two non-executive directors of the Saindak board are responsible for monitoring activities. As they are based in Islamabad, however, it is not practical for them to monitor the project.

The Chinese, simultaneously the producers and buyers of Saindak copper, are pioneers in transferring technology in metal mining, mainly in copper. They face few problems since they built the whole plant. They are committed to train Pakistanis by offering them on-the-job training facilities. The Chinese companies prefer to import copper from Chaghi, which is currently meeting the Chinese demand.

Since August 2003, a subsidiary of MCC has been operating in the Saindak project, with an initial investment of $26 million, and it had produced 18,000 tonnes of blister copper by September 2004. Such a high rate of production may end the life of the mine, previously estimated at 19 years, before the 10-year lease of the Chinese firm expires if excessive mining goes unchecked.

China's demand for copper has increased greatly because of rapid economic development and big expansion of infrastructure construction. According to one estimate, China's appetite in the past decade grew by more than 9% annually. In 2003, China consumed 2.5 million tonnes of copper, accounting for 16.5% of the world's total, ranking second after the United States. It was because of the strong demand from China that Chile's copper-export income doubled in October 2004 from the same month in 2003 to $1.4 billion.

Today China is a big market for Pakistani copper. The Saindak project produced about $70 million worth of copper during the last financial year and contributed about $10 million to Islamabad in export and royalty earnings. It was earlier estimated that the project would generate annual revenue of about $65 million. Copper exports from Saindak began in 2004 when Pakistan exported copper worth more than $30 million to China during four months, from July to October.

Pakistan is also bearing the environmental costs of the projects, as the production of copper is a long and dangerous process. The smelting of the copper ore emits arsenic and carbon monoxide, which pollutes the air and water near the mines. The copper is heated at high temperatures several times before the metal is ready for export. The impact of copper production on the country's environment is bound to grow at an alarming rate in the next seven years of the lease contract. Most threatened is the atmosphere in the immediate vicinity of the copper mine.

Asia Times Online :: South Asia news - China benefits from mining in Balochistan

Committee set up for mineral project

By Sajid Chaudhry

ISLAMABAD: A 14-member steering committee has been constituted for the development of 12.3 million tonnes of copper and 21 million ounces of gold resource at Rekodiq Copper-Gold Project, a senior government official told Daily Times on Friday.

The steering committee has been empowered to finalise the terms and conditions for the mineral agreement with M/s Tetyan Copper Mining Company (TCMC) and coordinate with federal and provincial government and serve as one window facility the investors and the government departments. The contribution of mineral sector to the GDP has increased on commercial exploitation of Saindak copper-gold deposit. Duddar zinc-lead deposit in Balochistan is in construction phase by a Chinese mining company and expected to start commercial production during 2008. M/s Tetyan Copper Mining Company has proved 12.3 MT of copper and 21 Moz of gold resource in Rekodiq in Balochistan.

The company, owned by M/s Antofogasta of Chille and Barrick Gold of Canada, is preparing feasibility study to commission a project to produce 250,000 tonnes of copper and 400,000 ounces of gold. A junior Australian company; Lake Resources is exploring precious metals in district Chaghi, in Balochistan. Rekodiq copper project is being undertaken by the Chilean Antofagasta Company with investment of $6 billion in Chaghi district of Balochistan which would place Pakistan on the world copper map shortly.

Minister for Petroleum and Natural resources Amanullah Khan Jadoon has been appointed as chairman of the 14 member steering committee which also includes Balochistan Minister for Mines government of, Chief Secretary, government of Balochistan, Chairman Central Board of Revenue (CBR), Secretary Petroleum and Natural Resources, Secretary Board of Investment, Secretary railways, Secretary Water and Power, Secretary Communication, Secretary Mines and Minerals Department Balochistan, Secretary Law and Justice government of Balochistan, Secretary Finance Balochistan, Chairman Balochistan Development Authority and the committee has been allowed to co-opt any other member of the ministries and departments concerned of federal and provincial governments respectively for all or any of the terms of reference.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Neo-thx for the details but reading between the lines tells me that the foreign companies are reluctant to invest heavily so that the mines of copper and gold can be run on commercial basis. these finds have not made a significant contribution to our economy and exports especially if the claim is that the reserves are the worlds 5th largest!

Mami Khel-1 well in Pakistan shows gas, condensate

By an OGJ correspondent

KARACHI, Mar. 28 -- Pakistan's Petroleum Ministry reported a discovery with the Mami Khel-1 exploratory well on the Tal Block in North West Frontier Province, saying it tested at 2,881 stock tank b/d of condensate and 45.8 MMcfd of natural gas.

Hungary's MOL Pakistan, which holds a 10% interest in the consortium that drilled the well, serves as operator for the group. Other members include Oil & Gas Development Co. Ltd. 30%, Pakistan Petroleum Ltd. 30%, Pakistan Oilfields Ltd. 25%, and Government Holdings (Pvt.) Ltd. 5%.

The consortium decided in fourth-quarter 2006 to drill the well following interpretation of data from a seismic shoot, which it said indicated "an attractive geological prospect."

The well was drilled to the planned TD and encountered hydrocarbons in the Lockhart limestone formation. It was tested at a depth of 2,878-2,930 m, with gas and condensate flowing through a 56/64-in. choke at 3,239 psig flowing wellhead pressure. Well results were based on data from open-hole logs, a modular [formation] dynamic tester, and the drillstem test.

This is the third discovery the consortium has made on the Tal Block since 1999, when it began exploration activities.

Following this discovery, MOL will conduct further appraisals through extended well tests to evaluate the optimum producing rate, scale, and economic viability of the reserves.

There is no doubt that Pakistan and specially Balochistan is very rich in oil and coal reservoirs. Every one at the moment is discussing about 6 Trillion oil resevoirs but our coal reservoirs are more than any one can expect.
If this is true that Balochistan has 6 Trillion oil reservoirs then these are more than saudi oil reservoirs which are 260 billion barrels.
There is no doubt that we can be one of the richest countries of the world but when?

I think Balochistan has a good potential for oil reserves. Region of Balochistan used to be a dense forest a few hundred million years ago with cycles of desertification and reforestation repeating over millions of years. All that deadwood lying deep beneath the surface of the earth gradually converts to oil, diamonds and other mineral resources under extreme pressures and temperatures. Its possible that the reserves lie deep beneath so it may not be easy to discover these wells and access it with current technology but something can be done about it in the future. :pakistan:

There is no doubt that Pakistan and specially Balochistan is very rich in oil and coal reservoirs. Every one at the moment is discussing about 6 Trillion oil resevoirs but our coal reservoirs are more than any one can expect.
If this is true that Balochistan has 6 Trillion oil reservoirs then these are more than saudi oil reservoirs which are 260 billion barrels.
There is no doubt that we can be one of the richest countries of the world but when?
when our politicians have fulfilled their greed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom