What's new

Al-Khalid 2

Can someone explain would Ak-II have a Active Armour protection system?

Well it would definitely have a APS, but it has to be seen whether it would be a Soft Kill or a Hard Kill system or both may be.

APS systems have become a necessity.

Hi Mughaljee,

We have provided you with enough training and education in the last one year and seven months that you have been on this board to come up with your own analysis and input. I believe that it is high time that you show us what you have learnt over here.

Thankyou.
Sir, Thanks , i asked this a bit long time ago.:wave:
again many thanks.
"what you have learnt over here"
Sir,
1-My english is not high as like yours, this is because i ask many question rather then reply.
2-And i have net facility only in my office, i visit this forum, on my spare time, and feel happy
3-If every one put himself in a Speaker Category then who will be in listener Category? and i think you are a good speaker
anyhow i love all of you.

Last edited:
Sir, Thanks , i asked this a bit long time ago.:wave:
again many thanks.
"what you have learnt over here"
Sir,
1-My english is not high as like yours, this is because i ask many question rather then reply.
2-And i have net facility only in my office, i visit this forum, on my spare time, and feel happy
3-If every one put himself in a Speaker Category then who will be in listener Category? and i think you are a good speaker
anyhow i love all of you.

Oh My,

I almost had a heart attack---you can't do this to me. Almost a ten line response from you. :victory:

I can appreciate what you said about time restraint and net oppurtunity---at times, some of us would also like to hear what the quiet ones have to say, but thankyou very much for listening. You have a wonderful day.

Today I read a news that Peru is going to buy MBT 2000 / Al Khalid tank from China.
I want to know if China also manufacturing these tanks and also exporting>
I thought before that only Pakistan is building and exporting them.

its a joint project.

I'm sure HIT will be assisting them with after-sales support, but im sure someone more familiar on the topic would know more

Today I read a news that Peru is going to buy MBT 2000 / Al Khalid tank from China.
I want to know if China also manufacturing these tanks and also exporting>
I thought before that only Pakistan is building and exporting them.

They have already bought them and shown on their parade too.

There is a separate thread too, can check it out for pics and videos.

Well China and Pakistan manufactured the tank jointly, so China can sell it on their own, plus its not the Original MBT-2000 configuration, rather an updated one with some minor modifications and its all Chinese. AK has some western equipment too.

And Pakistan has not exported any of the AKs.

its a joint project.

I'm sure HIT will be assisting them with after-sales support, but im sure someone more familiar on the topic would know more

Don't think so, this one is fully Chinese, we have western equipment plus some local manufactured equipment.

And ours hands are for the time being full for our own production, can't go for exports and can't give after sale service, as the peru version has Chinese engines and everything else too.

The actual project was initiated purely by China under the name Type 90. Pakistan was looking for a suitable mbt to replace its aging fleet of t-59s, 69s and so on. It was at this stage that Pakistan found interest in Type 90 but they wanted it as per their requirements hence the revised version became the type 90 II M. This was the version that was picked by Pakistan and this later became Al Khalid. Since the original design was made purely by China, i don't think that in Peruvian deal, we will get any share. BUT, if the Peruvian MBT 2000/VT1-A is the Chinese equivalent of our Al Khalid then it is a different story. The news is that the MBT 2000/VT1-A had to face a stiff competition from T-90, T-84, Leopard 2A6 and even polish PT-91 twardy. The initial version did not perform upto the expectations and Peruvians rejected it straight away but then Chinese came up with a serious modification (Al Khalid influence maybe?) and it performed on par with others in the competition. The deal was sweetened by very easy long term payment plans provided by China.

The tank looks highly digitized and formidable. Check out the video

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think so, this one is fully Chinese, we have western equipment plus some local manufactured equipment.

And ours hands are for the time being full for our own production, can't go for exports and can't give after sale service, as the peru version has Chinese engines and everything else too.

i watched the video.....those arent even the same config.

and yes --we havent exported tanks. In fact, only thing HIT exported thus far was Talha APC for Iraq National Army

Another important aspect is that Al Khalid is a joint project with contributions from China, Pakistan and Ukraine. This is not the case with original MBT 2000 since China and Ukraine did not co-operate on it. Ukrainian co-operation is exclusive only for Al Khalid so far. Maybe they have some in Peruvian deal as the engine seems to be the Ukrainian 6td-2. One thing is very clear that MBT 2000 and Al Khalid are only externally similar as Pakistan has done so many changes as per their own requirements that has made Al Khalid essentially a different Tank.

After looking at video I can say without any doubt that it has lot of influence from Al-Khalid, which it self is a different class.
What Peru got is a down graded version as compare to Al-Khalid.
Al-Khalid has integrated battle management system, has better computer and LCD display etc. has better cooling system for hot weather. Counter measures and Ukrainian engine is also quite good.
I doubt Peruvians got any of above features but still it is much advance by their standards.
In the video lot of technical experts and media has inspected the tank and factory.

That's why i said "Chinese version of Al Khalid" as there are some similarities and changes that were not visible in the MBT 2000. Chinese learned quickly as they were impressed with innovations Pakistan Army made in Al Khalid. The data link and BMS were introduced back in 2005-06 along with French Thermal Imagers and Ballistic computer. Even the initial version was impressive as Pakistan Army went on a different route. I have seen the interior and is remarkably similar with that of VT-1A/MBT 2000. Especially the laser counter and Autoloader Stats display. No BMS is rather sad and is a little less digitized as compared to Al Khalid but never the less it looks way better than Ukrainian and Russian MBT interiors. Remember the T-90 and T-84 interiors?

for comparison

T-90 interior

daaeb591849a5a546c33497aeb2dbd97.jpg

T-84 interior

d2c5c431e7e5a371228eeb3fb179e9f6.jpg

And interior of Al-Khalid is like an Erieye operating station.

If compared with the above two, it sure is!

Back
Top Bottom