What's new

Another Setback for Pakistan’s CAA: ICAO bars CAA from issuing any new licenses to pilots, crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhammadhafeezmalik

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
International Civil Aviation Organization bars organization from issuing any new licenses to pilots, crew

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has barred Pakistan’s Civil Aviation Authority from issuing new licenses to pilots, air traffic controllers, engineers, and flight attendants over concerns about its safety protocols.

According to sources within the CAA, the ICAO has directed the organization to halt the issuance of all licenses and submit a formal reply by Sept. 29. It has also urged the CAA to expedite the review process of all licenses that have already been issued to ensure they match international requirements.

The CAA is expected to submit a “written response” to the ICAO to alleviate its concerns, with sources saying that if the reply does not meet the international watchdog’s requirements, the ICAO could impose a “significant safety concern” status on Pakistan. This designation does not necessarily indicate a particular safety deficiency but, rather, indicates that the state concerned is not providing sufficient safety oversight to ensure the effective implementation of all applicable ICAO Standards.

According to the CAA sources, the ICAO has expressed dissatisfaction over CAA’s licensing process, claiming it ignores international safety standards.

The CAA has been under fire from international bodies since Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan claimed in Parliament that around a third of all registered pilots had “fake” or “dubious” licenses. The CAA has claimed this was misstated, as all its licenses are “genuine,” but admitted that some procedural lapses merited further investigation.

Thus far, around 150 pilots have been suspended over alleged license fraud. The CAA has also dismissed four officers.

International Civil Aviation Organization bars organization from issuing any new licenses to pilots, crew

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has barred Pakistan’s Civil Aviation Authority from issuing new licenses to pilots, air traffic controllers, engineers, and flight attendants over concerns about its safety protocols.

According to sources within the CAA, the ICAO has directed the organization to halt the issuance of all licenses and submit a formal reply by Sept. 29. It has also urged the CAA to expedite the review process of all licenses that have already been issued to ensure they match international requirements.

The CAA is expected to submit a “written response” to the ICAO to alleviate its concerns, with sources saying that if the reply does not meet the international watchdog’s requirements, the ICAO could impose a “significant safety concern” status on Pakistan. This designation does not necessarily indicate a particular safety deficiency but, rather, indicates that the state concerned is not providing sufficient safety oversight to ensure the effective implementation of all applicable ICAO Standards.

According to the CAA sources, the ICAO has expressed dissatisfaction over CAA’s licensing process, claiming it ignores international safety standards.

The CAA has been under fire from international bodies since Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan claimed in Parliament that around a third of all registered pilots had “fake” or “dubious” licenses. The CAA has claimed this was misstated, as all its licenses are “genuine,” but admitted that some procedural lapses merited further investigation.

Thus far, around 150 pilots have been suspended over alleged license fraud. The CAA has also dismissed four officers.

I guess CAA should have thought about the fallout before doing corrupt practices. It is necessary that CAA reviews licenses it issued for so called 'procedural lapses' for the safety of passengers in general.

I guess CAA should have thought about the fallout before doing corrupt practices.
Read it again:

"The CAA has been under fire from international bodies since Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan claimed in Parliament that around a third of all registered pilots had “fake” or “dubious” licenses. The CAA has claimed this was misstated, as all its licenses are “genuine,” but admitted that some procedural lapses merited further investigation."

Read it again:

"The CAA has been under fire from international bodies since Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan claimed in Parliament that around a third of all registered pilots had “fake” or “dubious” licenses. The CAA has claimed this was misstated, as all its licenses are “genuine,” but admitted that some procedural lapses merited further investigation."
I read it very clearly, it doesn't matter if you want to call it 'procedural lapses' , we all know what this fancy term actually means in Pakistan context. It was necessary to expose them before any further incidents happen, without going public these people don't budge.
I as a frequent air traveller demand that pilot's given licenses as a result of these 'procedural lapses' be properly scrutinized.

I read it very clearly, it doesn't matter if you want to call it 'procedural lapses' , we all know what this fancy term actually means in Pakistan context. It was necessary to expose them before any further incidents happen, without going public these people don't budge.
I as a frequent air traveller demand that pilot's given licenses as a result of these 'procedural lapses' be properly scrutinized.

Some people are of the opinion that it's worth murdering our citizens in hundreds as long as the corruption and danda is allowed to continue

Some people are of the opinion that it's worth murdering our citizens in hundreds as long as the corruption and danda is allowed to continue
Brushing the issue under carpet is never a viable option. The setback may be temporary but recognizing and accepting the issue and rectifying it is the only way to avoid further incidents.

We've had way too many crashes in recent years, most if not all due to incompetence of flight crew.
Pilot error is a common occurrence but not like "oh inshallah we'll make it" before the jahil pilot destroys the aircraft and the passengers with it.
That's not an error. That's sheer incompetence! Most of these "pilots" should be banned permanently.
Read it again:

... The CAA has been under fire from international bodies since Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan claimed in Parliament that around a third of all registered pilots had “fake” or “dubious” licenses. ...

After doing an own goal, what has the Aviation Minister done to improve the situation?

After doing an own goal, what has the Aviation Minister done to improve the situation?

Well I guess alot had happened CAA itself suspended licenses of multiple pilot's due to fake documents. CAA officials were also fired who were involved.

Crashes happened before as well right? Matter was put under the carpet and all was well after a few days of media hype. Guess this time it was different. Don't you agree?

Well I guess alot had happened CAA itself suspended licenses of multiple pilot's due to fake documents. CAA officials were also fired who were involved.

Crashes happened before as well right? Matter was put under the carpet and all was well after a few days of media hype. Guess this time it was different. Don't you agree?

I know licenses were cancelled after the EU ban but what is the Aviation Ministery doing to improve the situation?

Are they sending pilots abroad to be trained? Have they suspended, brought to justice all those who were involved in the malpractice? Have they allocated further funds to the CAA?

A slap on the wrist of CAA is not an improvement.

I know licenses were cancelled after the EU ban but what is the Aviation Ministery doing to improve the situation?

Are they sending pilots abroad to be trained? Have they suspended, brought to justice all those who were involved in the malpractice? Have they allocated further funds to the CAA?

A slap on the wrist of CAA is not an improvement.

I hate to say this aviation minister has done more than expected of him. If he didn't make it public all these pilot's would still be flying flights. His primary task was to identify and remove the unqualified pilot's and remove the CAA officials involved, as far as pilot's are concerned he has fulfilled his responsibility, as for CAA I do not believe only 3 were involved, we will learn more as the inquiry continues.

Bro we don't need to send pilot's to train outside, the issue was some of them used political connection or bribe to gain their licenses. There is definitely no need to provide more funds to CAA, instead a broader investigation needs to be done.

Last edited:
Airport security needs a major rethink. Just an example every year people from CAA get runway passes and for its clearance an IB guy comes on a designated day and takes money fixed amount in a marry go round fashion and issues clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom