What's new

Any questions regadring Sri Lanka - 2

And again just like any community Burghers also have different economic strata.. Not all Burghers are affluent.. A lot of people lived in deprivation

AFAIK many Burghers do not have lands of their own. I have seen many of them living in rented out houses. I suppose they have got used to the setup now.

Nope it means Sri Lankan of mainly Dutch descent but those who have Portuguese , Belgian, French, German and British lineage also consider themselves Burgher..

We're Eurasians, Like Anglo Indians but that does not make us Indians.. Anglo means mainly English.. Burghers are mainly Dutch/Germanic

The word Burgher means "Town people" in Dutch

And again just like any community Burghers also have different economic strata.. Not all Burghers are affluent.. A lot of people lived in deprivation
I had heard that Eurasians and Burghers are two groups in Sri Lanka. Like Burghers are connected mainly to Portugese and Dutch...while the Eurasians are British. I have always heard Eurasians who lived in central parts of SL considered them superior to others including sinhala, tamil, moor and even burghers.

And that during colonial times marriage between eurasian and a burgher was also rare.

Also do you like Carl Muller. I read jam Fruit tree. Funny stuff. How do the burghers rate his book? Like the Burghers who are like elite, educated and rich unlike the background Muller is coming from.

Preety Good thread... I hope it becomes sticky

How will you rate cricket here....

1. What are the major problems Srilankans face from India?

2. What are the demands Srilanka has from India..?

3. What Indian companies are big in Srilanka..?

1. Not much except from TN. Sri lanka is going through a smooth phase regarding ethnic matters after war. So meddling by TN is not helpful. Other than that india is considered good.

2. Keeping TN out of Sri Lanka.

3. we import a lot from india, but we dont see much indian companies operating here. We have ICIC bank which targets indians in SL. SL has a indian expat community. We once had Apollo hospital. but it was bought by a Lankan company later.

What do Burghers look like? :D

It is varied....mostly they are white and someone can think they are europeans, some are fair but not like europeans.....some are black like the rest of SL ppl.

Last edited:

Jacqueline Fernandez is a Burgher.

AFAIK many Burghers do not have lands of their own. I have seen many of them living in rented out houses. I suppose they have got used to the setup now.

That's some of their lifestyle. Some of them prefer condos, traveling more often etc.

3. What Indian companies are big in Srilanka..?

IOC (Indian Oil),
Airtel,

Last edited:

It depends on the back ground

I had heard that Eurasians and Burghers are two groups in Sri Lanka. Like Burghers are connected mainly to Portugese and Dutch...while the Eurasians are British. I have always heard Eurasians who lived in central parts of SL considered them superior to others including sinhala, tamil, moor and even burghers.

And that during colonial times marriage between eurasian and a burgher was also rare.

Also do you like Carl Muller. I read jam Fruit tree. Funny stuff. How do the burghers rate his book? Like the Burghers who are like elite, educated and rich unlike the background Muller is coming from.

Probably true.. Most Eurasians in SL live in the East Batticaloa and Trinco as far as i know
Mullers books are quasi fictional.. While most traits he highlight are quite true but some he tends to exaggerate.. Enjoyable reads though based around the middle class Bughers

More famous Burgher people

Dav Whatmore - Cricketer

143201.jpg

Michael Van Dort - Cricketer

574dc390297963e07a2f704cb2e9_grande.jpg

Jacqueline Fernandez - Actress

Jacqueline-Fernandez-bollywoodshare-3.jpg

Michael Ondaatje - Author

85349.jpg

Nigel Barker - Model/TV host

nigelbarker.jpg

Prof David De Kretser - Governor Gen of Victoria)

325350-de-kretser.jpg

Carl Muller - Author

z_p92-writing.jpg

But we come in all colors and shades

Desmond Kelly - Musician

des-kelly.jpg

Dominic Kellar - Actor

10171738_243130935878578_4851914910616955170_n.jpg

Last edited:

Probably true.. Most Eurasians in SL live in the East Batticaloa and Trinco as far as i know
Mullers books are quasi fictional.. While most traits he highlight are quite true but some he tends to exaggerate.. Enjoyable reads though based around the middle class Bughers

More famous Bugher people

Dav Whatmore - Cricketer

143201.jpg

Michael Van Dort - Cricketer

574dc390297963e07a2f704cb2e9_grande.jpg

Jacqueline Fernandez - Actress

Jacqueline-Fernandez-bollywoodshare-3.jpg

Michael Ondaatje - Author

85349.jpg

Nigel Barker - Model/TV host

nigelbarker.jpg

Prof David De Kretser - Governor Gen of Victoria)

325350-de-kretser.jpg

Carl Muller - Author

z_p92-writing.jpg

But we come in all colors and shades

Desmond Kelly - Musician

des-kelly.jpg

Dominic Kellar - Actor

10171738_243130935878578_4851914910616955170_n.jpg

They seem to strongly retain their South Asian features and skin colour

They seem to strongly retain their South Asian features and skin colour

Yeah.. After all we're Eurasians not European.. Some have very light skin some have very dark.. But the features tend to be more South Asian than European

More famous Burgher people

Dav Whatmore - Cricketer

143201.jpg

Dav Whatmore is look like my uncle! XD

Yeah.. After all we're Eurasians not European.. Some have very light skin some have very dark.. But the features tend to be more South Asian than European

Yea I suppose it makes sense. I was wondering because my relatives or family friends that have interracial marriages tend to have very European looking kids. Of course it differs.

Back
Top Bottom