What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

India doesn't even have the industrial capability to build the 2000 tanks in a decent timeframe.

I think 500 should have been okayed though

This is old news , read the source it is dated may 29, 2009

The first regiment is already inducted , and has participated in the march 2010 trials.

dscn1539x.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I have a question that what are the barrels at the back for, if they are for storing fuel dont that make the tank venerable to RPG or any other kind of fire.

I have a question that what are the barrels at the back for, if they are for storing fuel dont that make the tank venerable to RPG or any other kind of fire.

I too was wondering what it is? but the fuel cant be of just two barrels.

Arjun Fuel capacity is 430 gal and in that sense there needs to be at least 10 barrels out there.

Is there anybody who can shed some light here on those two barrels at the back.

I think those barrels are for when it is moving thru enemy territory, you have to get to the battle before you start the fight?

Tank transporters are not feasible in hostile territory. The diesel drums increase the range of the tank.

When the site of the battle is reached they can be jettisoned. In any case the tank is made in such a fashion that it is protected from the front so some one has to sneak up to the rear and then these are also designed to blow away from the tank in case they are hit. Such are the costs of war, that you cannot plan conservatively.

I think those barrels are for when it is moving thru enemy territory, you have to get to the battle before you start the fight?

Tank transporters are not feasible in hostile territory. The diesel drums increase the range of the tank.

They do increase the range but what about and rpg attack from the back or even a strayed bullet, and it can spell disaster for the tank. There should be some other explanation for the 2 tanks, may be Indianarmy sir can shed some light on it.

When the site of the battle is reached they can be jettisoned. In any case the tank is made in such a fashion that it is protected from the front so some one has to sneak up to the rear and then these are also designed to blow away from the tank in case they are hit. Such are the costs of war, that you cannot plan conservatively.

Thats possible but then I have not seen any new gen tanks with such an open display of a fuel tank on the.

They do increase the range but what about and rpg attack from the back or even a strayed bullet, and it can spell disaster for the tank. There should be some other explanation for the 2 tanks, may be Indianarmy sir can shed some light on it.

Carrying fuel drums are not a New technology, Have a Look at T-72.. The main purpose is its range, Its as vulnerable as the other parts of the tank, it would not catch fire if some bullets are hit, it has extra coating Of Armour than Given to the chassis .

When You are advancing towards the enemy territory Your tanks shouldnt stop... So for extra range this is Helpful, and Look How its protected...

This indeed was a wise decision to make

Have a feeling there is room for 2 more barrels in the cradle where the number 221 is painted or it may be that is a reserve position and the tanks have to be raised to allow fuel flow under gravity.

Have a feeling there is room for 2 more barrels in the cradle where the number 221 is painted or it may be that is a reserve position and the tanks have to be raised to allow fuel flow under gravity.

That would be an Over kill, Scientists are trying to reduce weight and You want to Increase it???

2 by itself is more, 1 is more than enough...

Why should we reduce weight? Is the idea to create a size zero tank or one that offers a judicious mix of mobility, firepower and protection?

Also if the drums are raised as high as they are the gun/turret probably cannot rotate 360 degrees so this raised position is effectively an engage position, kind of like the engage position for reserve fuel in old bajaj scooters and when not required they can be lowered into the cradle reducing the tanks silhouette and allowing 360 degree freedom of movement for gun. My 2 cents.

Reducing weight would be helpful in Logistical support, and why cannot the turret rotate 360 degrees? carefully look at the pictures, it perfect.... You dont need to lower it as You are not gonna Kill a Mouse or a Cat with that turret, but a Medium size vehicle.. So This is perfect configuration... Turret can Move freely , The Barrel will not collide with the Drum,New Arjuns turret can do a 360 in 9 seconds and has elevation/depression angles of +20 degrees and -9 degrees

The Arjun MBT's Final Trial By Fire Detailed

arjun.JPG

The photo of Arjun MBTs above and the following detailed account appears in the latest DRDO newsletter: Comparative trials between MBT Arjun and T-90 tanks were held during 15 February to 12 March 2010, to evaluate the utilisation strategy by the Indian Army. The evaluation parameters were firepower, mobility, maintainability and medium fording. The trials were conducted in four phases.

Phase I: This was conducted at 180 Armoured Brigade, Bikaner. Acceleration, turning radius, stab performance, ergonomics, static fuel consumption, and serviceability and mean time to repair were checked for various subsystems of the tanks. Phase II: This was conducted at Hisar, Haryana. Check was made for medium fording capability. Phase III: This was conducted at Mahajan Ranges, Rajasthan. Bridge crossing, night driving, maximum speed on cross-country and on hard ground, tilt driving, firing of primary and secondary ammunition, firing at night with thermal imagers (TI), consistency, rate of fire, thermal signature, TI capability and firing of small arms and Air Defence (AD) Gun were compared. In this phase, approximately 100 rounds were fired and 150 km of mobility run was completed by each of the 14 MBT Arjun tanks. Phase IV:This was conducted at Ranjitpura, Rajasthan. Mobility in the desert and tactical cruising range were evaluated by running three tanks each for additional 150 km. MBT Arjun displayed its capabilities and successfully passed all the trials. :smitten:

Text & Photo Copyright DRDO

arjun.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Comparative trials between MBT Arjun and T-90 tanks were held during 15 February to 12 March 2010, to evaluate the utilisation strategy by the Indian Army. The evaluation parameters were firepower, mobility, maintainability and medium fording. The trials were conducted in four phases.

Phase I: This was conducted at 180 Armoured Brigade, Bikaner. Acceleration, turning radius, stab performance, ergonomics, static fuel consumption, and serviceability and mean time to repair were checked for various subsystems of the tanks. Phase II: This was conducted at Hisar, Haryana. Check was made for medium fording capability. Phase III: This was conducted at Mahajan Ranges, Rajasthan. Bridge crossing, night driving, maximum speed on cross-country and on hard ground, tilt driving, firing of primary and secondary ammunition, firing at night with thermal imagers (TI), consistency, rate of fire, thermal signature, TI capability and firing of small arms and Air Defence (AD) Gun were compared. In this phase, approximately 100 rounds were fired and 150 km of mobility run was completed by each of the 14 MBT Arjun tanks. Phase IV:This was conducted at Ranjitpura, Rajasthan. Mobility in the desert and tactical cruising range were evaluated by running three tanks each for additional 150 km. MBT Arjun displayed its capabilities and successfully passed all the trials.

Back
Top Bottom