What's new

Arunachal in China? That is not the reality, says PM Manmohan Singh

Here's an interesting scenario.

The Dalai Lama is keeping quiet for now about Tibet's own claims on Arunchal P. because he needs Indian support but if there is to be a settlement between China and the Tibetan exiles I wonder if these exiles would then press their claim against India.

That is even the birth place of (former) Dalai Lama and he is really spineless and do not even have guts to tell India that is part of Tibet.

Since Tibet including South Tibet was firmly control by Dalai Lama and his monks, those South Tibetan did not pay tax to that guy (Dalai Lama) in Budala Place or Dalai Lama did not collect tax from there???!!!

Just a thought. I heard it mentioned by a Tibetan scholar at a record conference for the Sino-India border issue.

I see, it is quite a complex issue and I understand the chinese perspective a bit better after the points raised by many chinese members. btw thanks to all for keeping the discussion relatively civil.
One question comes to mind though, between india and china, who stands to gain more from AP issue resolution?
Or better yet, can one of the experts list out the benefits each nation will stand to gain from a resolution?

Last edited:
Do people seriously still believe that China actually WANTS Arunachal?

China keeps the claim as a diplomatic tool, nothing more nothing less.

I see, it is quite a complex issue and I understand the chinese perspective a bit better after the points raised by many chinese members. btw thanks to all for keeping the discussion relatively civil.
One question comes to mind though, between india and china, who stands to gain more from AP issue resolution?

Can't say it's not really bothering either country physically. The land has no strategic significance, nothing economically going for it. It's mostly a head game. It should have been settled a long time ago.

How can you tell if they dont want it? They wanted some of the claimed land from Tajikistan(and got it), what makes you think they still dont want Arunachal?

India will never give up Arunachal like the Tajikistan deal.

Like Joe said, China had been more or less amenable to settling the issue by preserving the status quo, AKsai Chin for AP. So if the dispute is a political bargaining chip, you guys kept it alive until now.

How can you tell if they dont want it? They wanted some of the claimed land from Tajikistan(and got), what makes you think they still dont want Arunachal?

If you want to join in on the discussion at least learn something of the situation.

Can't say it's not really bothering either country physically. The land has no strategic significance, nothing economically going for it. It's mostly a head game. It should have been settled a long time ago.

so apart from fueling rivalry, it doesn't seem to serve any other purpose?

How can you tell if they dont want it? They wanted some of the claimed land from Tajikistan(and got), what makes you think they still dont want Arunachal?

China only got a token amount. Tajikistan kept most of the diputed land as far as I recall. Mature decision by CPC I think

China may be big, but not one speck of dust is extra.

To be fair China gave up a helluva alot post founding of the PRC, to keep the peace with its neighbours. This rationale about "one speck of dust" doesn't fly with China's record on border settlements.

If you want to join in on the discussion at least learn something of the situation.

Idc about the past deals. Respect modern borders thats it.

China only got a token amount. Tajikistan kept most of the diputed land as far I recall. Mature decision by CPC I think

India will not give no damn token amount to big @ss China.

We will do it when you give Manchuria back to Japan or something. Back off India's damn territory.

Lay claims to the whole of Mongolia while your at it..

Last edited:
so apart from fueling rivalry, it doesn't seem to serve any other purpose?

Can't agree on what the border is and India is not willing to enter negotiations only talk (yes I have sources for this). So what can we do?

Oh and attitudes like this doesn't help either.

arrow-down.gif

Idc about the past deals. Respect modern borders thats it.

India will not give no damn token amount to big @ss China.

Or better yet, can one of the experts list out the benefits each nation will stand to gain from a resolution?

To keep it civil is better.

I think both nations will gain from a resolution since after this dispute is gone, there is no more dispute between China and India.

The relation between both will be much normal and warmer than the de facto.

You see, historically, China has never fought a "war" (this term is too big, I still think it is a border conflict) with India until 1962.

Chairman Mao and Premier Zhou has warned Nehru so many times about his going east policies and telling him China has and will never recognized those treaties signed between Tibet and Britain, since China has never agreed with it and Tibet is part of China and not an independent country. Both has informed him through diplomats many times that such a inheritance of imperialist Britain policy towards another giant country who just got out of so many brutal imperialist invasions will be disastrous. I think Nehru just turned a blind eye to those...

Can't agree on what the border is and India is not willing to enter negotiations only talk (yes I have sources for this). So what can we do?

For some reason, GOI seems more comfortable making LACs as intl. borders (similar offer to pakistan) , it could be for political reasons why any administration doesn't want to be blamed for giving up land (even if it is a token amount)

For some reason, GOI seems more comfortable making LACs as intl. borders (similar offer to pakistan) , it could be for political reasons why any administration doesn't want to be blamed for giving up land (even if it is a token amount)

This is why India hasn't agree to enter negotiations yet. (at least the reason given by the speakers at the talk) By negotiating, India will have to give up at least some land/claim.

Back
Top Bottom