As Obama visits, signs that India is pushing back against China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy_Bottom

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
(Reuters) - When Sri Lanka unexpectedly turfed out President Mahinda Rajapaksa in an election this month, it was the biggest setback in decades for China's expansion into South Asia - and a remarkable diplomatic victory for India.

Despite New Delhi's protestations, diplomats and politicians in the region say India played a role in organizing the opposition against pro-China Rajapaksa.

His successor, President Maithripala Sirisena, has said India is the "first, main concern" of his foreign policy and that he will review all projects awarded to Chinese firms, including a sea reclamation development in Colombo that would give Beijing a strategic toehold on India's doorstep.

India has pushed back against China elsewhere in the region since Prime Minister Narendra Modi took office in May, improving ties with Japan and Vietnam, both locked in territorial disputes with Beijing, and contesting a port project in Bangladesh that could otherwise have been a cakewalk for China.

The new robust diplomacy, which Modi calls "Act East", has delighted Washington, which has been nudging India for years to dovetail with the U.S. strategic pivot toward the region.

When President Barack Obama makes a landmark visit to India starting Sunday, he will be the chief guest at New Delhi's showpiece Republic Day military parade, and rarely for a presidential trip, is not scheduled to visit any other country before returning to Washington.

Evan Medeiros, Obama's point man for Asian diplomacy, told a conference at the Brookings Institution on Wednesday that Obama would discuss Modi's shift from “Look East” to “Act East” when he was in India.

"We are looking very seriously at ways in which the U.S. and India can work more together in the Asia Pacific on a whole range of issues," said Medeiros, director for Asia at the White House's National Security Council.

Medeiros also referred to a trilateral security dialogue involving the United States, Japan, and India.

Washington made no bones about its distaste for Sri Lanka's Rajapaksa, who critics accuse of war crimes, corruption and nepotism. But until last year India was indecisive, perhaps afraid of pushing the hero of the war against Tamil separatists even closer to China.

That changed in September, when Rajapaksa allowed a Chinese submarine to dock in Colombo, without informing India, as it was bound to under an existing agreement.

"That was the last straw," a senior Indian diplomat said.

"He told Modi: "the next time I will keep you informed,"" the diplomat said, a promise that was broken when the submarine visited again in November.

In the build up to the Jan 8 election, India played a role in uniting Sri Lanka's usually fractious opposition, for which the station chief of India's spy agency was expelled, diplomatic and political sources say.

"At least that was the perception of Mahinda Rajapkasa," said M.A. Sumanthiran, a prominent member of the Tamil National Alliance, a coalition of parties close to India. "He managed to get one of their top diplomats recalled."

The Indian government denies any of its officers was expelled. But Sumanthiran said Modi had in a meeting encouraged the Tamil alliance to join forces with others in politics.

"The Indians realised that you can't do business with this man and they were hoping for a change," he said.

"FAMILY MATTER"

On Friday, Sri Lanka said it would review a $1.5 billion deal with China Communication Construction Co Ltd to build a 233 hectare patch of real estate on redeveloped land overlooking Colombo's South Port.

In return, China was to get land on a freehold basis in the development. This is of particular concern for India, the destination for the majority of the trans shipment cargo through Colombo.

"The message is clear, that you do not ignore Indian security concerns," said the Indian diplomatic source.

Modi is looking for similar good news elsewhere in South Asia. He has already visited Nepal twice, becoming the first Indian prime minister to travel to the Himalayan buffer state with China in 17 years, and signing long delayed power projects.

India has muscled into an $8 billion deep water port project that Bangladesh wants to develop in Sonadia in the Bay of Bengal, with the Adani Group, a company close to Modi, submitting a proposal in October. China Harbour Engineering Company, an early bidder, was previously the front-runner.

"Modi is willing to engage on long-term issues that stretch beyond India's border, including maritime security in the South China Sea, as well as North Korea and Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria," said Richard Rossow at policy think tank CSIS.

"That's when we start to think about India as a regional global provider – or as a global provider of security."

However, the bonhomie has limits - India and the United States do not see eye-to-eye on Pakistan, New Delhi's traditional foe that enjoys substantial funding from Washington.

Tricky conflicts over trade and intellectual property hold back business, and India has limits to its ability to project force outside its immediate neighborhood.

But Modi's policies mark a departure from India's traditional non-aligned approach to foreign power blocs.

"Having the U.S. president at the Republic Day celebration is a good thing, he is blessing Modi," said Mohan Guruswamy, of the Centre for Policy Alternatives, a think-tank.

"And that is a lesson to the Chinese that you have to mend your fences with us."

As Obama visits, signs that India is pushing back against China| Reuters

All south Asian states favor China over India. Only thing big about India is its population and its size. Find me one South Asian country that can be regarded as an Indian 'ally'...there is none due to India's own silly quest for hegemonic control of the region which won't come to fruition.

All south Asian states favor China over India. Only thing big about India is its population and its size. Find me one South Asian country that can be regarded as an Indian 'ally'...there is none due to India's own silly quest for hegemonic control of the region which won't come to fruition.

It becomes really difficult to debate with Pakistanis like you, because you come with this historical baggage of ill will . How do you define favor? China is buying its way to some friendship but they have not created any ill will towards India by its neighbours( other than Pakistan) . Does that make other countries favor China or just take advantage?

Outsiders who do not have your baggage see it quite differently. Countries are reaching out to India to engage with better and stronger ties and are not shying away from India. If they had hegemonic ideas we would have seen proof of it. I get it that nothing will change your view, but an objective study will show I'm correct.

And who told you that we need allies?
We need good friends and neighbours.
SL is a good neighboursof us.In fact except Pakistan all others are our friends .
You know,We know and entire world know China is outrightly checkmated by India in SL.In BD Adani group is in a process for port development that is challenging Chinese Company in there.

--
can you prove it.. with proof?
yes china have many thing to offer than india.. but same time china have plan to take many thing from those countires either by hook or crook ..
india just showing ... how to not mess with us .. simple ...you dont need war for that..
sometimes your silence is more poweful than voice so same we doing

It becomes really difficult to debate with Pakistanis like you, because you come with this historical baggage of ill will . How do you define favor? China is buying its way to some friendship but they have not created any ill will towards India by its neighbours( other than Pakistan) . Does that make other countries favor China or just take advantage?

Outsiders who do not have your baggage see it quite differently. Countries are reaching out to India to engage with better and stronger ties and are not shying away from India. If they had hegemonic ideas we would have seen proof of it. I get it that nothing will change your view, but an objective study will show I'm correct.

When someone's entire foreign policy outlook is two words - ''hate Hindu'', debating the nusanses of international relations becomes futile. These religiously blind people keep cheerleading china imagining all kinds of weird narratives. For example they will say Bangladesh ''favors'' china because they have given them infra projects and bought military hardware from them, but when they get another fit of hinduphobia will start saying how BD govt is controlled by India. So which one is it? BD govt is controlled by India but favors China? The sheer stupidity of these claims is intellectually disappointing.

BTW the article missed out on Myanmar. Do you think India has played a part in their opening up? As everyone, but these chinese cheerleaders know, an isolated failed nation is in china's favor.

Last edited:
China is the future of Asia, india may play second fiddle at best. Sure it is a viable market for the US, there are monetary gains to be made, scope for strategic-mutual-cooperation, with the added connotation of limiting the Chinese influence across the continent. Which i suspect wont happen anytime soon, China is still and will be the 'big boss' of Asia, for many years to come. When we look at the grand scheme of things, consider Asia in it's entirety, india is then relegated by stronger economies and militaries.

Just to put things into perspective and to shed some light on the issue:
Indian members tend to overlook the fact that the Chinese have a nominal GDP around 5 times that of theirs, (PPP) GDP, around 2.5x that of india, exports of around $2.2 trillion approx, which is in stark contrast to india's apparent $315bn (approx) export. Moreover, China's foreign reserves amount to just under $4 trillion, dwarfing india's $320bn by manifolds. In conjunction to the vast economic-chasm witnessed between the two countries, there is the vast-military chasm which China enjoys also. All of which to say, China has all the advantages over india, given it's astute/shrewd leadership and will maintain it's monopoly over Asia for many years to come.

Last edited:

Well said.

Most here are unable to raise themselves from shallow relationships where they see ' friends' as more important than national interests.

The friendships cherished here are mostly one sided - the " I take , you give' type. In exchange all they have to offer are national assets as these nations have nothing worthwhile to offer.

As regards baggage, S Asians have two things which hold us back - large memories & even larger Egos.

Last edited:
...As if indian's don't come with a 'historical baggage' of 'ill-will' and are inherently immune to it. What an absolute buffoon. Some people need to introspect and slap themselves for their constant-bias.

Where have I absolved India & Indians from historical baggage ?

A closer look would indicate that the Indian sub continent is also called S Asia which finds a mention in my post.

You may like to revisit your hasty comments.

...As if indian's don't come with a 'historical baggage' of 'ill-will' and are inherently immune to it. What an absolute buffoon. Some people need to introspect and slap themselves for their constant-bias.

And you Chinese need to grow a pair of stones and post under your real flag.

... And you fingered your sister and found your dad's wedding ring, i guess incest runs deep in your family.. Which further explains your one too many impairments, clearly a 'slow burner' in the thought process. Now you can't take my comment, wait 'can't take it all' sounds like your mum again.

No one is asking you to project your fantasies onto others. You Sister told me that you were a scat whöre of your dad, while your mommy liked to entertain her brothers with a beastality show with family pigs.Looks like debauchry runs deep in your family.

Heard that you still work as a go-go girl in your neighbourhood's gloryhole.

I think you left your 'insults book' in your tata-motor-car. I'm falling asleep here..

No one is asking you to project your fantasies onto others. You Sister told me that you were a scat whöre of your dad, while your mommy liked to entertain her brothers with a beastality show with family pigs.Looks like debauchry runs deep in your family.

That's right ignore your compatriot @lavenge lavenge who started it all.@Horus @waz. It's a case of an indian, sticking up for another indian, whom started it and managed to embarrass himself by the end of it. @SarthakGanguly is clearly being biased here. I wouldn't pay too much attention to him or @third eye @nair. Both displayed a bias also. (Indian-indian bias), i wouldn't pay much to attention any of them. Thanks mods.

@waz @Horus - Please check this gentleman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom