What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

Rescue Efforts .

Avalanche-kills-30-Pakistani-soldiers-buries-100-others.jpg

It looks really bad.
These pics shows that the rescue workers will reach the trapped ones soon to save them...Insha-Allah.....

Manmohan just delivered the diplomatic one-two, follwed by an upper cut and a checkmate on a nearby chessboard. If Pakistan decides to take Indian help, the we look weak. If we decline it, we look like pompous ***** who put their pride before the well being of their men. It's the Gov's call now. I think that the offer will be declined though, there isn't much India can offer us under such circumstances, we have a division strength manforce digging away, heavy machinery has already been airlifted into the area and a field hospital has been established on site. The same announcement about 24hrs ago might have left the military and civilian hierarchy facing a puzzling conundrum as we had none of this about 24hrs ago.

A very noble gesture none the less.

Sadly, not a practical one.

Actually there's been a lot of talk about this in some circles, and I've been listening in. It all hinged on what practical good we can do. It's been pointed out that for our choppers to be deployed, they would have to fly all the way to the top, to our positions, and then across and down again. In avalanche conditions, it is very dangerous to have heavy choppers chuntering around, and people get testy and irritable if that happens. Secondly, ferrying across second echelon troops might not be a brilliant idea if they do not happen to be the acclimatised set.

It turned out that perhaps the only sensible help we could give would be help that is unfortunately not realistically possible - it would be to re-deploy our front-line troops for search and rescue operations down the slope. Today, with the government weak, and facing charges of mishandling the Army and the Army Chief in particular, nobody in Delhi is going to take THAT decision. Pity.

Frustrating discussion, really...

Some more pictures.

avalanche.jpg

siachen-avalanche.jpg

It looks hardened and worse now.

Last edited by a moderator:
saddest day in the history of pakistan
both india & Pakistan must to think about their soldiers

I think by this time Rescue team was supposed to reach the HQ building

I think Siachen area should be demilitiarized , we cannot afford to waste lives over egos , lets India enjoy the snow. Is there any thing strategic about Siachin ?

It's either pre-1984 position or it's status quo. No other option.

I HOPE PA WILL ACCEPT THE INDIAN HELP
THEY HAVE MI-36 WHO CAN TAKE MORE HEAVY EQUIPMENTS AS COMPARE TO ANY OTHER
2ND PA ALSO ASK USA FOR ASSISTANCE AND CHINOOKS

Pakistan should have accepted indian help......its a shame if helped was offered and Pakistan denied.....
Although i doubt if help was really offered...or just a media invention?

If they have denied India's help then it's good decision by Pakistan. No need to ask their help.

Politics being played by some Indians here! WTF? For God's sake fellas, there's a human tragedy being played out on the frozen heights of Siachen! Get out of that anti-Pak mode for once. It's not a war against India that the soldiers have died but in a war against nature. This is a 24X7 battle with the elements on those formidable heights. Only those who've been there know what the heck it is like. It is a frozen hell!

And some here treat this like some kinda joke. Get out of your straitjackets to try and get a feel of the enormity of this tragedy.

Well, Pakistani MI-17s are on the work too, but the fact is there could have been another snow slide yesterday due to the heavy thrust of Mi-17, hence lighter helos were used. Now that the snow has hardened and formed thick ice in some areas and it is safer for heavier work, machinery would have been moved which was hauled at Skardu Air base most likely.

i dont think we need more machinery there. Too much activity can result in another avalanche

I will pray to Allah for these men, that they may come out of it alive and for their families. Accha why can't India and Pakistan de-militarise Siachen, is it so much a necessary strategic point or is it just ego of some one???

I don't think the thin air can support a full loaded Mi-36 in any case. Secondly, we can only depend on helicopters to some degree, wash from the rotor blades may trigger the loose sheets of ice to trigger another avalanche.

Normally survivors are found in first 10-30 minutes not after 20-40 hours it would be nothing short of miracle if the building structure survived and people were inside it may had oxygen tank

The search folks should just concentrate on the building structure where it would stand approximately and dig it out first as its location is pretty certain

It was still a Search and Rescue operation this morning.
Only miracles can save the men. With this cold temperate, the body must have been seriously effected.. Brain and heart could have even stopped. There could have been men in coma..

it depends on many circumstances...
the soldiers were fully insulated...and snow itself is a very good insulator..thats why eskimos lived in.igloos?
if soldiers are completely immersed in snow..they will die due to lack of oxygen..
but if even one of the buildings survived and an air picket was created...there are chances somebody will come out alive...

If a building withstood, and is still upright, and people were together, still a search and rescue, although chances are slim.

Still to be on the optimistic side, search and rescue. Although there is a window of only 1 more day IMO if anybody is still alive.

Would need a miracle though.

Let's all hope and pray that the following news story is indicative of the miracle so needed at this time:

I heard on tv this morning that rescue workers could hear faint sounds of whistles coming from below the surface, a possible indication that there are survivors, but it's a long shot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom