What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

Just received these satellite images from my contact in the ISPR.
It gives an overall view of the area where the avalanche struck the PA camp with tragic consequences.

av1.png

av2.png

av3.png

av5.png

av4.png

av7.png

av6.png

So guess what, my map reading was correct ;)

Been a loooonnggggg time since i was there, but who could forget those mountains.

The number of potential casualties has been raised to 139 from 134 it seems.

Any confirmation of that new number?

According to ISPR, total number of people is 135 including 11 civilians. For complete list, see :: ISPR :: Inter Services Public Relations - PAKISTAN .

Yes, I am aware of that list, but this CNN story has a higher number, as yet unconfirmed:

Excerpt from: Pakistani rescuers resume search for 139 trapped in avalanche - CNN.com

Rescue crews continued their frantic search Sunday at a Himalayan military outpost near the Indian border where a massive avalanche buried up to 139 people, most of them Pakistani soldiers.

Guys, there must be an alternative to get there. Helis are not recommended because of he noise and wind blast their rotors make. Is it possible to use light powered para-gliders (capacity to seat 2) sorts from nearby peaks? They could be fitted with a thermal camera to help better identification of warm-blooded soldiers than nearby snow and ice.

Powered hang gliders also don't pose the danger that a helicopter does and therefore seems more reasonable.

Only downside is, it will take a lot of time to get the men out even if Pak Army manages to get 50 twin-seater gliders for the job.

Just a thought.

So guess what, my map reading was correct ;)

Been a loooonnggggg time since i was there, but who could forget those mountains.

What i find somewhat remarkable is that albeit some distance away, but the camp was established in the line of the Glacier.!!

av3.png

What i find somewhat remarkable is that albeit some distance away, but the camp was established in the line of the Glacier.!!

av3.png

Picture not showing, last set of pictures also not working.

is CNN and FOX more reliable than pakistani source and that too unconfirmed, how childish??

applaudable

The point is not reliability at this point but the number of sure-shot personnel that were stationed there. You lot must be having a regional command center where the names of those actively serving at the base would be there. That should help. But since reporters won't have access to this list, it is hard to tell for news channels other than based on some figures that the Army PR give.

is CNN and FOX more reliable than pakistani source and that too unconfirmed, how childish??

applaudable

Please see below before you fly off the handle with no justification:

This figure is also given in an ISPR Press Release, :: ISPR :: Inter Services Public Relations - PAKISTAN .

Excerpt from: :: ISPR :: Inter Services Public Relations - PAKISTAN

Press Release

No PR69/2012-ISPR Dated: April 8, 2012

Rawalpindi - April 8, 2012: Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani visited Siachen, today, to personally see the rescue operation launched to recover 139 soldiers and civilians trapped under the avalanche. COAS was accompanied by Corps Commander Lieutenant General Khalid Nawaz Khan.

So the toll may be 139. What a tragedy.

The point is not reliability at this point but the number of sure-shot personnel that were stationed there. You lot must be having a regional command center where the names of those actively serving at the base would be there. That should help. But since reporters won't have access to this list, it is hard to tell for news channels other than based on some figures that the Army PR give.

i think its because of the confidentiality reasons, but as the list is given by ispr which is the info source of the army, it must be taken as reliable

Back
Top Bottom