What's new

Bangladesh Army

If you happen to be a defence expert please tell us why MBT-2000 are required by BD where terrain is unsuitable for movement of heavy tanks.

you heavily misunderstood my post, as i was actually asking the same question :lol:
If Nazis could do this in 1940, why not BD army in 2012??
i still think it will hamper the effectiveness of the tanks, anyway, tanks are not stuff Bangladesh needs right now xD the air force is embarrassing

you heavily misunderstood my post, as i was actually asking the same question :lol:

i still think it will hamper the effectiveness of the tanks, anyway, tanks are not stuff Bangladesh needs right now xD the air force is embarrassing

Yes. Our air force is way behind than navy and army . But we don't have the luxury to buy modern aircrafts right now. Cost of 44 3rd Generation battle tank = 2/3 4.5 generation Fighters, Plus we will pay for those tanks in installments with lowest interest rate! Thanks to China...! Our army lacks fire power, India and Pakistan both moved to 3rd generation tanks but we use obsolete T69, a renowned Cold war tank!!!

I am not also an expert or any knowlegeable about tank warfare. But, BA has quite a good number of tanks. It has 640 used Main Battle Tanks (MBT) and 140+ used Light Battle Tanks. The China made MBT-2000 will be the 1st batch of 44 new MBTs. So, with MBT numbering 640 plus 44, and light tanks at 140+, the total number of tanks in BA is 824+. This is not an insignificant number.

I agree that the terrains in BD is unsuitable for a tank war. But, this can be attributed to enemy tanks which cannot move in our wet lands. The entire country is wet even in January because of IRRI rice cultivation. If winter is unsuitable, then other seasons are more unsuitable.

Enemy tanks will bog down in the muddy CLAYEE soil of Bangladesh. India sent a few light tanks weighing only 15 ton each in 1971 war. But, all of them bogged down. MBTs are more than 40 ton each. So, India cannot send its heavy tanks. These are suitable for war with Pakistan.

So, the logical conclusion could be our tanks will be used to resist enemy tanks in the NW where the land is strong and sandy. Our tanks can even penetrate into enemy land here and engage the enemy in case of a war. A concentrated tank mobilization at the chicken neck point will be very important to safeguard our territory from being used by both India and China if there happen to be a war between those countries.

I am not sure if there can be tank battles in our NE border with India and SE border with Burma. But, I have reasons to believe that Arakanese (Rohingya) Mujahids know the terrain very well and BA's human assets inside Arakan already know the terrains suitable for tank war. However, the tanks must cross Naaf Daria.

I am not also an expert or any knowlegeable about tank warfare. But, BA has quite a good number of tanks. It has 640 used Main Battle Tanks (MBT) and 140+ used Light Battle Tanks. The China made MBT-2000 will be the 1st batch of 44 new MBTs. So, with MBT numbering 640 plus 44, and light tanks at 140+, the total number of tanks in BA is 824+. This is not an insignificant number.

That's.....just too many tanks :lol:

And those Type-59s are getting very old.

I am not sure if there can be tank battles in our NE border with India and SE border with Burma. But, I have reasons to believe that Arakanese (Rohingya) Mujahids know the terrain very well and BA's human assets inside Arakan already know the terrains suitable for tank war. However, the tanks must cross Naaf Daria.

The border territory with Myanmar is not very suitable for tank warfare.

Much of our tank divisions are meant against India.

I agree with anime though, our air force is seriously lacking. And improvements for the navy should not have any limits whatsoever.

But seriously, that's just way too many tanks.

The border territory with Myanmar is not very suitable for tank warfare.

Much of our tank divisions are meant against India.

I agree with anime though, our air force is seriously lacking. And improvements for the navy should not have any limits whatsoever.

but then as u have said they are old very old . probly army conseiders them useless ?:undecided:

We have 10 tank regiments each consisting 44 tanks! Yes we bought 700+ tanks but not all are operational. ..

The important fact is these older tanks going through major upgradation and after the upgradation is complete,all our older tanks will be capable of night warfare and will also have laser targeting or something like that.Is it true that India's T-72s are night blind??

That's.....just too many tanks :lol: And those Type-59s are getting very old.

The border territory with Myanmar is not very suitable for tank warfare. Much of our tank divisions are meant against India.

BA is now upgrading all the 59/59II tanks. Moreover, It is also converting Type-62 Light Tanks to tracked Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs). BA has 323 units of amphibious tyred APCs of which Russia supplied 313 units and USA 10 units. More to the above, it has so far converted more than 80 units of Type-62 LTs to tracked APCs. So, the current APC total of 400+ is also not insignificant for a country like BD.

A poor BD has only one piece of small clothe which it cannot use to hide both the top and mid-part simultaneously. So, this is why it is strengthening only navy at present with the purchase of Frigates, LPCs, OPCs, Corvettes, Patrol Boats and many others. IOn the other hand, it is also building anti-aircraft SAM systems with a small money instead of buying expensive planes. A 30 million dollar enemy plane can be destroyed with the use of a half million dollar SAM.

So, in my opinion, when unless our clothe becomes a little larger we cannot purchase many jets, we can fit our land with many batteries of SAMS at a fraction price of jets. BAF will induct also BGIs. Some people who have seen the design drawings say, these are BGI only in name. They do not look like F-7. I am not sure, but the name F-7BGI may be used to deceive our enemies, who knows!

So, in my opinion, BA, BN and BAF are equally or a little unequally are being made strong now-a-days by overstretching our small piece of clothing a little.

BA is now upgrading all the 59/59II tanks. Moreover, BA is also converting Type-62 Light Tanks to tracked Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs). BA has 323 units of amphibious tyred APCs of which Russia supplied 313 units and USA 10 units. BA has so far converted more than 80 units of Type-62 LTs to APC. So, the APC total of 400+ is also not insignificant for a country like BD.

A poor BD has only one piece of small clothe which it cannot use to hide both the breasts and mid-part. So, this is why it is strengthening navy with the purchase of Frigates, LPCs, OPCs, Corvettes and many hundred others. It is also a right approach to build a anti-aircraft SAM system with a small money than to buy expensive planes. A 30 million dollar enemy plane can be destroyed with the use of a one million dollar SAM.

So, in my opinion, unless our clothe is a little larger we cannot purchase many jets. However, we can fit our land with many batteries of SAMS at a fraction price of jets. BAF will induct also BGIs. Some people who have seen the design drawings say, these are BGI only in name. They do not look like F-7. I am not sure, but the name F-7BGI may be used to deceive our enemies, who knows!

So, in my opinion, BA, BN and BAF are equally or unequally strong now-a-days with our small piece of clothing being a little overstretched.

but seriously whats the purpose of these tanks , if bd and indias NE is not really suitable for tank warfare, i read in the above post that these are meant to be used against india :undecided:

BA is now upgrading all the 59/59II tanks. Moreover, It is also converting Type-62 Light Tanks to tracked Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs).

Please note the corrections. BA is now upgrading its 59/59II to 59G or Al-Zarrer grade of Pakistan. PA was supposed to help us with its experience and technical knowhow. But, I do not know about the present picture if PA is helping BA without sending experts. BA does not divulge sensitive information.

Since all the 140+ Type-62 Light Tanks will be converted to tracked APCs, therefore, total number of tanks will go down as a result. These small tanks are becoming obsolate, but converting these to tracked APCs will give them new lives.

but seriously whats the purpose of these tanks , if bd and indias NE is not really suitable for tank warfare, i read in the above post that these are meant to be used against india :undecided:

To be more perfect theses are to be used against enemy. Regarding the terrain where tanks (heavy or light) are not suitable we have enough APCs. I believe our strategists thought of it and emphasized on APCs. Currently there are more cities with more roads than in 71...so heavy tanks can be used there or there are places where we can use them. There shouldn't be any worries regarding using heavy tanks on BD terrains. Anyway, one expert on BD terrains can shed light on this.

As a matter of fact, BA has more then 1200 APCs overall, 800+ of which are from Russia. I like this choice given the need of extensive mobility of ammunition and troops, especially in our terrain.

As we are moving forward, building our own cars etc., an APC factory isnt something far-fetched. Here we can tailor-make our own APCs. Should not be that hard compared to building tanks.

I remember suggesting this long back and shall advocate it once again, lets accumulate a certain proportion of money coming from the UN peacekeeping missions and get a factory going. Our govt. certainly is not 'miskeen' to not be able to maintain it.

Just my 2 cent.

Cheers!!!

As a matter of fact, BA has more then 1200 APCs overall, 800+ of which are from Russia. I like this choice given the need of extensive mobility of ammunition and troops, especially in our terrain.

As we are moving forward, building our own cars etc., an APC factory isnt something far-fetched. Here we can tailor-make our own APCs. Should not be that hard compared to building tanks.

I remember suggesting this long back and shall advocate it once again, lets accumulate a certain proportion of money coming from the UN peacekeeping missions and get a factory going. Our govt. certainly is not 'miskeen' to not be able to maintain it.

Just my 2 cent.

Cheers!!!

Can you prove your claim. cause, so far I know and as far as news goes, Bangladesh army has 128 BTR-82A on order, 144 BTR-80, 50 BTR-70, 88 MT-LB and 48 type-62 conversions. That gives you a total of 458 APCs.

Back
Top Bottom