What's new

BANGLADESH: People Pay More To The Police Than To Their Government

Whatever it is you must buy free govt services and overpay for a paid service. Any taxes you pay to the govt is going to be misused. So it's always better and wiser to evade taxes.

It's a bad cycle and dilemma for us general people. If we don't pay our tax, govt. can't run state machinery, on the other hand while paying tax, ruling party thugs are swallowing our hard earned money. However, I think we shouldn't evade tax, I pay mine first to be clear to me not to state (because I know state machinery is run by bunch of thugs).

It's a bad cycle and dilemma for us general people. If we don't pay our tax, govt. can't run state machinery, on the other hand while paying tax, ruling party thugs are swallowing our hard earned money. However, I think we shouldn't evade tax, I pay mine first to be clear to me not to state (because I know state machinery is run by bunch of thugs).

I just described the common psyche. Imagine the money we pay to corrupt government officials went to the govt treasury instead! Did we have to declare a deficit budget?

We need introduce an awareness building program, maybe as a part of the secondary level curriculum, focusing on facts like:

1. The govt can't create wealth out of thin air. It needs a source of income, imposing taxes constitutes the largest part of the earning activities of a govt.

2. Literally every one of us is paying taxes. Majority of the people don't have any clear idea about how they pay taxes and hence think misuse of public wealth doesn't affect them on the personal level.

3. Any amount of money spent by the govt above its earnings ultimately results into inflation, that is, less purchasing power of money.

4. Evasion of payment for govt services, like railway fares, electricity, water bills etc by a single individual will result into higher payment for the rest of the service takers who pay.

Back
Top Bottom