Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Front Page
A welcome divorce
Girl responds to dowry demand on wedding day

A welcome divorce

Staff Correspondent

_56723739_image0675.jpg

Ms Yasmin said her husband was a 'rogue' to demand dowry payments

Farzana Yasmin, who caused waves throughout the country last Friday by repudiating her husband right at the wedding after her in-laws demanded dowry, has said she wants everyone to take lessons from the incident.

“Dowry has become a cancer of society,” she told BBC Bangla Service yesterday. “I've read in newspapers about it and have always wondered why this happens.”

She called upon all to take note that girls can rise against this social menace.

“When it happened right before my eyes, something happened inside me. I felt like speaking up against it and doing something about it.”

Farzana, who recently completed her masters from Eden College, Dhaka, yesterday narrated to the BBC the details of the incident which occurred in Borguna on Friday.

“Everything was complete,” she said. “They were about to take me to the wedding car.”

She realised something was wrong while seated on the stage. “I tried to understand what it was. But as I was the bride I remained on the stage while people were taking photographs.”

Amidst the commotion, she heard her in-laws demanding “gifts”. “They said, 'Where are the gifts?' They didn't call it dowry.”

“My elder sister reacted, 'We are going to give you our girl; nothing else was promised',” said Farzana.

At one point, an aunt of her just-wed husband Shawkat Ali Khan came to her and said, “We are going to keep this girl hanging for five years. If we don't receive a TV and refrigerator, we won't take her home.”

Farzana said, “I was dumbfounded! I asked my husband, who sat beside me, 'What is this?'”

He replied, “My aunt's words are my words”.

“Aunt's words are your words? What is that supposed to mean? Then it's not possible for me to remain here,” she told her husband.

“I'd rather leave than stay with people who ask for dowry at a wedding.”

Farzana left the stage and changed back into her usual clothes. Her family members and neighbours rushed to her, asking her why she had done that.

“I explained everything to them, and asked them what decision I should take,” she told the BBC.

“I said I'd rather commit suicide than go with that man, that rogue of a man.”

Although her family members, friends and neighbours found it difficult to support her decision in the beginning, they later appreciated the move.

Farzana Yasmin will soon take legal steps to file for divorce.

“I have no regrets,” she told the BBC. “Maybe I haven't changed the lives of ten people, but I want people to take the lesson that girls can do something.”

Shame on him.

Best of luck for the lady for future, she have just get rid of blood sucker leech.

Basically his phupu (sister of his father) asked the dowry and he said he can not say anything over her phupu.

Point to be noted they were asking them as gift not as dowry and they initially did not ask for neither dowry or gift as was expected like most other girls this girls family will also provide them with gifts like motor bike, tv, freeze of latest model etc. But her phupu get angry when they did not see any gift from the bride side to be given to the husband.

I think it is a custom in the subcontinent to give gifts during wedding along with the daughter. But this girl said this is curse for them as her parents had to send her and other siblings to dhaka for study and it cost a lots of money. Even though it is a fashion in the rich society...

Basically his phupu (sister of his father) asked the dowry and he said he can not say anything over her phupu.

Point to be noted they were asking them as gift not as dowry and they initially did not ask for neither dowry or gift as was expected like most other girls this girls family will also provide them with gifts like motor bike, tv, freeze of latest model etc. But her phupu get angry when they did not see any gift from the bride side to be given to the husband.

Gift = Dowry in this case. I'v never actually heard of people "asking for gifts". lol.

I think it is a custom in the subcontinent to give gifts during wedding along with the daughter. But this girl said this is curse for them as her parents had to send her and other siblings to dhaka for study and it cost a lots of money. Even though it is a fashion in the rich society...

Dowry is usually wrapped sweetly and named gifts instead. Its custom to gift during marriage worldwide but not an obligation.

In India also its common to call it gift and not dowry as its against the law.

Salute to brave lady.

go to hell bastard you wanna sale yourself for few home appliances idiot.?

and my best wishes and salute to brave lady

He already got into trouble... as a government official he came into focus more... departmental inquiry has been launched from primary education wing of education ministry.

This guy also supposed to be a Head Master of a primary school ...:P

Dowry is usually wrapped sweetly and named gifts instead. Its custom to gift during marriage worldwide but not an obligation.

In India also its common to call it gift and not dowry as its against the law.

Salute to brave lady.

If you like it or not this corrupt practice has come from India and some corrupt converted hindus has still maintained this practice in muslim countries like Bangladesh. But the problem is so severe in India regarding this dowry. In Bangladesh voice should be raised against this hinduani chaal.

Al Zakir can give some input regarding this. :flame:

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Watch this music Video...:::

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly it is usually the women of the groom's side who are the hardliners for dowry as seen in this case. It is a weird world we live in.

This kid of news doesn't belong here. I already posted in member section. Please don't post this kind news in defence section.

Back
Top Bottom