What's new

Can Volvo RM-12 Jet Engine Replace Thunder's RD-93 ?`

Reportedly there are two Engines in development.

1:
Engine:

Taishan (WS-13) Guizhou Aero Engine Group

Platform:

FC-1 ? 2010? 80-86.37kN / (17,980-19,391lbs) 7.8 Development started in 2000; based largely on RD-33/93 but with substantial new inputs; 2,200 hour life span; reports of 100kN/22,450lbs thrust version in development

2:
Unknown engine:
China Gas Turbine Establish-ment (GTE)

Platform:

(Chengdu) FC-1 ?; new Chengdu twin-engine fighter? 2010+? 9,500kg / (20,940lbs) n/a Revealed at the 2008 Zhuhai Airshow; reported derived from WS-13; FADEC and axisymetric thrust vectoring nozzle; GTE is designer, but manufacturer is not known .

It seems that tiamikhan's wishes of Thunder having a 100ktn Thurst Engine would come True soon maybe even a TVC variant.:cheers:

Now what i want to know is that if we Install WS-13 with 100KTN Thurst , what Impact would it have on the overall performance of Thunders ?

:china:

Source: International Assessment and Strategy Center > Research > October Surprises In Chinese Aerospace

Regards:

Last edited:
Planned upgrades

The first 50 JF-17s entering Pakistan Air Force service will most likely incorporate only Chinese avionics and other systems, however this may only be temporary. Once JF-17 enters full production, retractable in-flight refueling probes will be added and avionics from other sources may be integrated.

Subsequent modifications to the JF-17 design will be made, such as:

* Greater use of composite materials in the airframe to decrease weight and increase thrust-to-weight ratio.
* Internal Infra-Red Search and Track (IRST) system, possibly the Type Hongguang-I Electro-optical Radar (虹光-Ⅰ型光电雷达) developed by Sichuan Changhong Electric Appliance Corporation (currently the IRST must be carried externally).
* More powerful engine, potential options include the Chinese WS-13 Taishan and Russian Klimov RD-93B turbofans, giving 10% greater thrust than the current RD-93
* Minor airframe modifications to reduce the aircraft's radar cross-section by adding stealthy features.

Beyond the initial 50 PAF JF-17, the remaining production aircraft may also be equipped with European avionics, radars and weaponry. Pakistan had begun negotiations with British and Italian defence firms over potential avionics and radars for JF-17 during initial development. Some of the radar options for JF-17 are the Italian Galileo Avionica Grifo S7 and the French Thomson-CSF RC400 (a variant of the RDY-2), along with the MBDA MICA IR/RF short/medium range air-to-air missiles. The Vixen 500E AESA radar has also been offered to the PAF for installation on the JF-17 by the British company SELEX, but the PAF may be looking for a more advanced AESA radar.

JF-17 Thunder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

enginez.jpg

This image had come up recently on a Chinese forum, and by the looks and the specifications & position of gear box it is most probably WS-13 CGI image and its specifications.

So if this is taken as reality, the 9500Kgf when converted to kN, it gives a 93kN figure, thus may be the Chinese would be able to reach 95kN or even 100kN as of now or in near future.

Thus, no need to worry, RD-93 and WS-13s would be more then enough to satisfy our requirements.

And with a 95 or 100kN engine, JF-17s flight characteristics would improve, its weapon load will also increase, with composites and DSI intakes its overall weight would be and has been decreased alot and with a more powerful engine, it can carry more heavy load.

yep bang on.......

WS-13 would have 100KTN of Thrust with A.B so i believe it is way better than current RD-93 Engine.

Can someone explain that how a 100KTN Engine would increase the speed and payload capacity , short Take off ?

what about thrust vectorin it will enhance the capability of our jet

yes so what you think should we buy it or not or get tot of it which is very hard do china has something similar to it

yes so what you think should we buy it or not or get tot of it which is very hard do china has something similar to it

Well i dont think we need Engine Technology at this time.
We rather should focus on integrating our new jets into the fleet & i believe this TVC engine would end up in Thunder at some stage , maybe in Block III.

We need TVC Engine along with an advanced JHMCS.

Well i dont think we need Engine Technology at this time.
We rather should focus on integrating our new jets into the fleet & i believe this TVC engine would end up in Thunder at some stage , maybe in Block III.

We need TVC Engine along with an advanced JHMCS.

Do you want to loose another decade like 90's

please correct me if im wrong but i think sweden has banned any future sale of weapons systems to pakistan.... and also Volvo is a licenced production of F404 so i don't know about sweden but if we want to have volvo then why not try to get F414 or F404 from US directly ... and i m not an expert but i think Chinese systems are best for us... so chinese engine would be the best choice... and please if any one disagrees with my little knowledge be polite in your reply... :smitten::cool:

please correct me if im wrong but i think sweden has banned any future sale of weapons systems to pakistan.... and also Volvo is a licenced production of F404 so i don't know about sweden but if we want to have volvo then why not try to get F414 or F404 from US directly ... and i m not an expert but i think Chinese systems are best for us... so chinese engine would be the best choice... and please if any one disagrees with my little knowledge be polite in your reply... :smitten::cool:

Who sold us the SAAB AWACS ?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom