What's new

Can Volvo RM-12 Jet Engine Replace Thunder's RD-93 ?`

Here is JF-17 and the design seems perfect, all it needs is an engine and more composites to make it lighter.
jf17.jpg

this image is copywrited by me... dont use it again without permission... :chilli:

P.S Dont ban me for this plz

Last edited:
Thurst vectoring in a single engine aircraft look quite promising considering the X-31's performance it seems that a TVC engine with 100KTN of thurst would increase Thunder's maneuverability dramatically.

Rockwell's X-31

Rockwell-MBB_X-31_vectorpaddles.jpg

Thrust vectoring would help every aircraft out there.

It is a trade off with the cost. It is only feasible if the TVC adds considerably to the maneuverability at a lower cost. In case of JF-17 it would increase the cost of the aircraft, but add little to the performance.

So it is not feasible now. May be in next blocks of JF it might be added, but structural changes are required, as mentioned in the previous pots.

is this news correct that china is purchasing engine from Sweden
i think its fake news

Composites!!!! JFT can cut down on weight by increase usage of composite materials. This will eventually give it a better thrust to weight ratio or allow for a heavier engine and corresponding mounts.

Hello all:

As you all know that Chinese Company Geely Automobiles has bought out Swedish Volvo & Volvo Aero is its Subsidary which manufectures RM-12 Turbofan Jet Engine which is the Powerplant for JAS-39 Gripen Fighter jet.

RM-12 is a derivative of GE-404 which is the powerplant for F-18 hornet.

By China having as the owner of the Company can they award a contract along with GE to CAC & PAC to power JF-17 Thunder with this Engine ?

Specs

General characteristics

Type: Afterburning turbofan
Length: 154 in (3,912 mm)
Diameter: 35 in (889 mm)
Dry weight: 2,282 lb (1,036 kg)
Components

Compressor: Axial compressor with 3 fan and 7 compressor stages
Bypass ratio: 0.34:1
Turbine: 1 low-pressure and 1 high-pressure stage
Performance
Maximum thrust:

11,000 lbf (48.9 kN) military thrust
17,700 lbf (78.7 kN) with afterburner
Overall pressure ratio: 26:1

Specific fuel consumption:

Military thrust: 0.81 lb/(lbf·h) (82.6 kg/(kN·h))
Full afterburner: 1.74 lb/(lbf·h) (177.5 kg/(kN·h))
Thrust-to-weight ratio: 7.8:1 (76.0 N/kg)

new&

It will also Imrove thunder's speed (Possibly from current Mach 1.8 to Mach 2) and payload capacity .

Share your Ideas Please.

Regards: BB:china:

holy jesus..........who said THEYVE BOUGHT OUT VOLVO????????????China's Geely to buy Volvo Cars: report - The Local THEY JUST BOUGHT VOLVO CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The airframe of jf-17 was designed on plug and play concept i.e. it is able to accommodate different engines as they become available with very little modification. Four engines can be easily accommodated in it.

1. PW F100

2. Snecma M-53 pxx

3. RD 93, 33 MK

4. WS-13

Kilmov RD-93 was not a preferred option initially but American/Canadian PW engine was not available and Chinese WS-13 is still not in service. M-53 remains only viable candidate but is twice as expensive as RD-93 and WS-13. Not to forget that its technology is decades old now and other options offer more sophisticated technology such Crystal Blades and FADEC options. (Full Authority Digital Engine Control) coupled with a similar or higher thrust.

now with the frenchies 'lapping' up to the indians, the snecma option is out also. i dont see any option other than the RD-93 for the immediate future and frankly the chinese engine option is quite a few years down the line. china can easily supply 150 RD-93 engines to the PAF.

now with the frenchies 'lapping' up to the indians, the snecma option is out also. i dont see any option other than the RD-93 for the immediate future and frankly the chinese engine option is quite a few years down the line. china can easily supply 150 RD-93 engines to the PAF.

Sir Fatman
Add to that the fact that PAF at the moment appears to be pretty happy with the engine and its performance.I think under the current and forever existent financial constraints, till WS13 comes on line, we will go for the RD93. I strongly suspect that when WS13 is nearing completion The Russkies will bait us with an upgraded version of the engine,. They have a good deal going and dont want to upset the hand that feeds them. I think wqe will continue with the RD93 /WS13 combo.
Araz

No Western Engine will ever be approved for anything like the JF17 -- The West offers itself as a unified front, there are many divisions in the West, but when push comes to shove they close ranks admirably -- So Volvo, Finnemechanicca, BMW or the French, neither can be suppliers for the likes of JF17 -- and of course this is meaningful, it should explain to most in Pakistan that the West confronts them as a whole -- and while it makes sense to seek and develop divisions, this is a long and patient game.

Seek your own answers to your own problems, only in this way can there be salvation for the likes of Pakistan.

No Western Engine will ever be approved for anything like the JF17 -- The West offers itself as a unified front, there are many divisions in the West, but when push comes to shove they close ranks admirably -- So Volvo, Finnemechanicca, BMW or the French, neither can be suppliers for the likes of JF17 -- and of course this is meaningful, it should explain to most in Pakistan that the West confronts them as a whole -- and while it makes sense to seek and develop divisions, this is a long and patient game.

Seek your own answers to your own problems, only in this way can there be salvation for the likes of Pakistan.

yes i wld agree. the prime example of this policy is the Israeli LAVI program. the US made sure that this program fails and in return sold the F-16 to the IDFAF. the Israelis had spent over 1B USD on its R&D.

Back
Top Bottom