What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
Yes zero hour wings were supplied by Atlas; i am sure more have made their way over as well.
Reassembling is being done there without doubt. But what we are speaking is the actual fabrication of the entire wing as well airframes. Wings at Atlas under go a rigorous stress test prior to being dismantled and packaged for shipment.

Only for today Araz. Back on duty for next few weeks before being rolled off. The Covid situation been devastating here; on top we have a few renegade idiots via various electronic media disseminating bs; tracing the flipping source and getting resource to nab these guys for a good haircut in the slammer. complete prep for any riot situation etc.

It is good to see what is being done for the M3/M5. the radio upgrades are from my company on the M3/M5. and most likely a datalink may be there too.
IMO ... if the PAF opts to bring in new aerostructures for the Mirage III/5s, then that alone is telling: no new fighter (besides Block-III/JF-17B) until Project AZM. If not (and the upgrade is mostly electronics and new munitions), then things are still in the grey.

World can't stand still like we are now sooner or later life will get back to normal with or without COVID 19 vaccine hold like we now for long gonna destroy everyone. So learn to live with Corona virus.
well. depends... I am in the front line duty ensuring things are in place. Chinese have unleased WW3 without firing a single bullet. It is the poor people who have been impacted the most here. Heaven help any chinese here.

It will come around - we need time.

well. depends... I am in the front line duty ensuring things are in place. Chinese have unleased WW3 without firing a single bullet. It is the poor people who have been impacted the most here. Heaven help any chinese here.

It will come around - we need time.

Which part of South Africa are you in at the moment?
Are you are have a shut down enforced?

IMO ... if the PAF opts to bring in new aerostructures for the Mirage III/5s, then that alone is telling: no new fighter (besides Block-III/JF-17B) until Project AZM. If not (and the upgrade is mostly electronics and new munitions), then things are still in the grey.
I did not hear any new hardware being ordered so definitely no new structural upgrade is planned. The upgrade is around electronics in view of higher ECM being forecasted; for comms there is only one provider who fits in this profile and they are the world leaders in what is being sought.

Which part of South Africa are you in at the moment?
Are you are have a shut down enforced?
I am out of North west province. I have been called up on active duty. going back tomorrow for another 3 week rotation.

I did not hear any new hardware being ordered so definitely no new structural upgrade is planned. The upgrade is around electronics in view of higher ECM being forecasted; for comms there is only one provider who fits in this profile and they are the world leaders in what is being sought.

I am out of North west province. I have been called up on active duty. going back tomorrow for another 3 week rotation.

I see, stay safe brother! Keep us updated. :)

Best of luck. The forum will miss you.

If PAF intends to modify the Mirage fleet and keep it flying beyond 2025 it would be worth while if they can explore the Cheetah D modifications. They are much better than our current variants.

24b5avi%C3%B3n.jpg.jpg

Or maybe explore some KFIR variants through a third party!!
1Yi7s.png

I guess should keep focus on JF-17 development as it has great room for upgrades and possible R&D.

Hi, this post is more for Mr. MK. He has advocated getting the JH-7B, I also agree with his train of thought that the PAF and PN needs a heavy air strike element. This would give the JH-7B a long range capability to defend itself. The M3/5 are good strike platforms, but are in dire need of upgrades.

https://www.janes.com/article/95584/new-chinese-bvraam-spotted-on-plaaf-jh-7a-fighter-bomber

New Chinese BVRAAM spotted on PLAAF JH-7A fighter bomber
Gabriel Dominguez, London and Andreas Rupprecht, Mainz - Jane's Defence Weekly
17 April 2020

The same beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) that was first spotted on a People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) J-16 fighter aircraft in November 2016 has now also been photographed being carried by a JH-7A fighter-bomber.

The latest image of the missile, which is only the second photograph to have emerged so far, was posted on Chinese online forums in mid-April. It is unclear when and where the image was taken but it shows that the missile, the official designation of which has yet to be made public, is significantly larger than any other AAM operated by the PLAAF, including the new PL-15 BVRAAM.

Last edited:
After reviewing options available and future direction my recommendation is to upgrade needed mirage squadrons to same level and create single type of advance attack vaerient for next 10 years of service with target of replacing them with azm when it becomes available. Hopefully in next 10 years or less.

You can also solve the H2/H4 limitation by arming the JF-17 with the Raptor III. It's likely compact enough to fit under each wing of the JF-17 -- if not Block-I/II, then certainly Block-III/JF-17B. You could have a single JF-17B deploy to Raptor IIIs, one on fire-and-forget using INS/GNSS, and the other manual operation (with the WSO).

Interestingly, Denel Dynamics took the entire project offline after showing it off. So, it's possible that the PAF did buy out the project (i.e., @JamD's guess re: the boxed-out 'extended range smart weapon' tested in 2019).

23w8ln3fi0r11.jpg
pretty sure this is what PAF is thinking..
h4, H2 and even RAAD 1 will be retired with mirages..
and will be replaced by REK, raptor 3 iteration and RAAD 2 that will fit jf17

The H2/H4 are outdated in terms of their tech, requiring 2 aircraft to launch and guide a single weapon.
And yes, I'm fully aware of the performance of the Mirage/H2/H4 combo in operation Swift Retort. But, that doesn't remove the fact that the PAF could have done the same job at considerable less risk with the more modern stand-off weapon options it has.
@denel will second what I will say, the whole purpose of H2/4 is that it is highly resistance to being jammed by the enemy! That is the reason why it is operated this way.

Back
Top Bottom