What's new

Car consuming too much fuel :(

Elmo

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
I need some advice.

How much mileage should a suzuki alto give on petroleum?

A friend's Alto is giving her terrible mileage on petroleum: 75 km per 1000 rupee fuel (that is 10 liters aprrox.)

Mechanic says that there is nothing wrong with the rmp, it is tuned for petroleum, nothing up with the plugs, carborator and no leaks.

So what else could be wrong?

P.s. only serious posters reply

I am not sure about the mileage that it gives, but there are some steps you can take that can keep fuel consumption normal. Make sure that the oil is changed on time, and after a certain number of oil changes its time for a tune up. Try and get good quality petrol, make sure the tires are good, and not low on air. The alignment is good. Well those are a few steps that your friend can take to make sure that the engine is good, and not eating up on the fuel.

Yara that is horrible average for an Alto. Can you tell the engine capacity cc?

I need some advice.

A friend's Alto is giving her terrible mileage on petroleum: 75 km per 1000 rupee fuel (that is 10 liters aprrox.)

Mechanic says that there is nothing wrong with the rmp, it is tuned for petroleum, nothing up with the plugs, carborator and no leaks.

Yara that is horrible average for an Alto. Can you tell the engine capacity cc?

That is indeed, I didnt read the milage part earlier.
@Elmo is your friends car dishing out smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
When was the last time it got serviced? Get it serviced, oil change, filter change, get the wheel alignment done.

A good place to start is with the fuel injection nozzle (I am hoping alto is not carbureted ), also check the engine/cylinder seal gasket

Isn't Alto something in the range of 650cc - 800 cc?? If that's true, it should do approximately 160km - 180km @Rs1,000.

There is definitely something wrong.

Check:

Does the engine make a heavier noise?
Smokey?
Heating up?

That is indeed, I didnt read the milage part earlier.
@Elmo is your friends car dishing out smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
To start with maybe you can ask your friend to keep lower RPM's.. that's by selecting right gear to the right speed.

Isn't Alto something in the range of 650cc - 800 cc?? If that's true, it should do approximately 160km - 180km @Rs1,000.

There is definitely something wrong.

Check:

Does the engine make a heavier noise?
Smokey?
Heating up?

From my exp the only thing I can think of is that it is smoking out the fuel. Now if it is black color smoke then the engine can be repaired I think, if it is white, then it is time for a new engine. Oh and also it could be that some belt might have broken or too tight, now that could end up putting extra pressure on the engine too.

Nahin yaar, can't be any of the belts. Alto's technology is from stone age, however, very easy to fix. I reckon it's something really simple that needs fixing. Most probably may need engine overhaul, that is relatively simple work in Pakistan.

From my exp the only thing I can think of is that it is smoking out the fuel. Now if it is black color smoke then the engine can be repaired I think, if it is white, then it is time for a new engine. Oh and also it could be that some belt might have broken or too tight, now that could end up putting extra pressure on the engine too.

I need some advice.

Depends on where she drives - I assume it's within city terrific & i think avg. is not good but not that much bad as well (specially for a lady).

I guess new 1000cc avg. in traffic like Lahore is 8-10km

Thats bad for an alto . i used to get 17-18kmpl in cities you need to get the car serviced . i recently bought a skoda superb 2l diesel, and even that gives me 9 kmpl in the city.

Back
Top Bottom