What's new

Car consuming too much fuel :(

Nahin lala, took it for a test drive one week ago, handles just fine. Nothing special about it. R8 on the other hand, bites baaaaaaaaaaaad.... :blink:

Janaab, Panamera causes a lot of accidents because of onlookers losing focus (So, better be careful)... R8 on the other hand is like a Mr Olympia after winning a show (fabulous and curvy and powerful on that day)... But, they are mere mortal mechanic things made by mechanically genius Germans...

Driving car on the real German auto bahn should be artistic & definitive and thus, it has to be a bit Italian... The engine, the smoothness, the rubber and the leather... 458 Spyder please. Everything else is just a illusion of greatness!!! But, one has to earn and deserve that piece of art...! Had the privilege to drive one few days ago and i have made a separate piggy bank for that momma!

Coming back to the real life question on Alto... Bhai, get a complete service at a nice suzuki showroom... on AC, 11-12kmpl is a must even for a hectic city like Mumbai suburbs! Take it from a guy, who had an alto in India...

I need some advice.

How much mileage should a suzuki alto give on petroleum?

A friend's Alto is giving her terrible mileage on petroleum: 75 km per 1000 rupee fuel (that is 10 liters aprrox.)

Mechanic says that there is nothing wrong with the rmp, it is tuned for petroleum, nothing up with the plugs, carborator and no leaks.

So what else could be wrong?

P.s. only serious posters reply

That is 7.5km per litre?

It seems high usage. Its a 800 CC car right? I'm get 8.4 on a 3000 CC car. That is based on the fact that I get 494 km out of a full tank. Full tank costs about AED 100 at AED 1.72/litre.

If the car is old, (like 10 years old, and not maintained regularly) it will eat a lot of petrol. Since it has a carburetor, I'm guessing its old. Engine cleaning (oil flushing), new oil should help a bit... On and off use those carburetor cleaners added to the fuel (should be added when the fuel tank is almost empty).

You may also check out the wheels, if the wheels are not original specification and you may have put on heavy duty tires which will also burn some more fuel.

Time to sell the car.

@Elmo:Its indeed horrible for an Alto,in India an average of 16-19 km/ltr is guaranteed for Maruti Suzuki Alto.
Anyway,
-Be careful that you don't rest your foot on clutch while driving. Replace the clutch plate if neccessary.
-Check your tanks and other parts for carbon deposits caused by use of impure fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to the rest of you all!

- but you cannot drive in karachi without putting your foot on the clutch
- the car is not smoking anything - black or white

I think the car has a leak.

Will keep you posted on this!

On those small engines there is some tming called random cylinderi misfire....
It happens when higher amount of current passes through the electric cables going into the plugs..
Even if the plugs are fine the cables wont give enough current for spark...
Only happens at higher rpm.....wont happen when idling or going slow...

Remedy is to change fulll set of HT cables...which shouldnt cost much...

Other thing to check is the fuel itself..
Wnere she gets the fuel from?
If it is from the same filling station everytime?
Then the filling station is selling bad fuel....

And yes...the fuel filter in petrol cars nobody checks...but they do get choked and disrupt fuel flow..that effects air fuel mixture and causes bad combustion increasing fuel consumption...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom