What's new

Car consuming too much fuel :(

Check your tyres as well...whether they are original or second hand.

Original tyres.

Assuming that this work makes the engine okay, the next step would be check rolling resistance, for example dragging brakes or bad bearings, or even something as simple as low tire pressures due to slow leaks.

Edit: How is the consumption being calculated? The correct answer is given by filling the tank, noting the odometer reading. Then driving for at least half to 3/4th tanks, then filling up again and noting the odometer reading. Kilometers traveled divided by the amount to refill the tank is the consumption, noting that the tire size has to be the original stock size that came from the factory.

Assuming that this work makes the engine okay, the next step would be check rolling resistance, for example dragging brakes or bad bearings, or even something as simple as low tire pressures due to slow leaks.

Tyre pressures fine at 30.

Brakes got changed 2 months back.

Bearings have to be checked, but nothing creaks.

Edit: How is the consumption being calculated? The correct answer is given by filling the tank, noting the odometer reading. Then driving for at least half to 3/4th tanks, then filling up again and noting the odometer reading. Kilometers traveled divided by the amount to refill the tank is the consumption, noting that the tire size has to be the original stock size that came from the factory

Do tyre sizes change over time? Shrink? :undecided:

Consumption got calculated withe full tank and then dividing the amount travelled.

Original tyres.

Do tyre sizes change over time? Shrink? :undecided:

Consumption got calculated withe full tank and then dividing the amount travelled.

Tyres do get stiffer with time due to heat cycling, specially with our hot roads and this can increase their rolling resistance. The change in diameter by the tread wearing away is actually small so not very important.

But even then, for a small car to be drinking fuel at 8 km per liter does not make sense, unless the driver is in stop and go traffic or racing all the time, if the car seems to be in good mechanical condition.

Dragging brakes, alignment and bad bearings could be the culprits, or even something more rare as the master cylinder.

This car needs a good mechanic to look it over properly.

Tyres do get stiffer with time due to heat cycling, specially with our hot roads and this can increase their rolling resistance. The change in diameter by the tread wearing away is actually small so not very important.

But even then, for a small car to be drinking fuel at 8 km per liter does not make sense, unless the driver is in stop and go traffic or racing all the time, if the car seems to be in good mechanical condition.

Dragging brakes, alignment and bad bearings could be the culprits, or even something more rare as the master cylinder.

This car needs a good mechanic to look it over properly.

From a very American "tire" to a very British "tyre".... why the skip across the Atlantic? :D

Yes a good mechanic would ease life, but is hard to find.

I wish I had done a few courses of physics and automobile mechanics, might as well start now.

Is your friend married? If she is, then she should bug her husband about the car.
If she isnt, she should get married so she may get a better car.

If its a he, and isnt married.. he should get married and ask for a car in Dowry.

If he is married, then he better have the engine looked at seriously by a mechanic. I recommend the guys in Ph-II ext with the shop on the intersection corner.Its either on 24th commercial or the Nadra office street 4th sunset.

A Car is worth it :woot:

Depends on where she drives - I assume it's within city terrific & i think avg. is not good but not that much bad as well (specially for a lady).

I guess new 1000cc avg. in traffic like Lahore is 8-10km

Exactly... :lol:

p.s.

Damn I never checked whats the average of my car, it gives a bad taste to our relationship, and I am driving this car for 11 years now :D

From a very American "tire" to a very British "tyre".... why the skip across the Atlantic? :D

Yes a good mechanic would ease life, but is hard to find.

I wish I had done a few courses of physics and automobile mechanics, might as well start now.

It depends on the dictionaries installed in the public computers that I can use in various places. Both types of spellings are in use generally in Canada.

Theoretical courses are mot much use in actual practice in Pakistan for cars. A good ustaadjee is all that car needs. :D

I need some advice.

How much mileage should a suzuki alto give on petroleum?

A friend's Alto is giving her terrible mileage on petroleum: 75 km per 1000 rupee fuel (that is 10 liters aprrox.)

Mechanic says that there is nothing wrong with the rmp, it is tuned for petroleum, nothing up with the plugs, carborator and no leaks.

So what else could be wrong?

P.s. only serious posters reply

Is it the Pakistani model (mean the one assembled in Pakistan) or the japanese one that comes reconditioned....the former one is known to have not that good fuel efficiency but still it should give 13km per litre ...may be sumthng wrong with engine rings or piston .....is the car giving out smoke?

sumtyms leakage is hard to pick ...if you run ur car too much on cng and not use petrol that often...the oil pipe shrinks ....whenever u convert the car on petrol it gives smell (is that the case with your car?) also there can be leakage under the bonnet/hood , the point where fuel pipe connects with the carborator ...the leakages happens only if you pump the accelerator upto a certain extent and is sumtyms hard to pick

for third reason check out the carborator ....check it out immediately after u start the car ....is there petrol in there....coz that happens if there is a mising problem or sumthng wrong with the ignition ....

thats wat i can contribute

I need some advice.

How much mileage should a suzuki alto give on petroleum?

A friend's Alto is giving her terrible mileage on petroleum: 75 km per 1000 rupee fuel (that is 10 liters aprrox.)

Mechanic says that there is nothing wrong with the rmp, it is tuned for petroleum, nothing up with the plugs, carborator and no leaks.

So what else could be wrong?

P.s. only serious posters reply

It actually depends on the engine size. If it's 1/1.2 litre car then it's bound to happen. That engine just smoke the fuel.

But 75 km for 10 litres is about 46 miles for 2 gallons of petrol. So it's miles per gallon is around 23 which is not bad for a small car in a city. Because traffic is also a really big factor. In south asian cities. Traffic is terrible and all the while you're stopped your engine is still idle and is doing 700 revs per minute.

I have 1.2 litre corsa and it gives me 30 miles to the gallen in the city with no traffic just the signals. Which is about 95-100 kms per 10 litres. Not brilliant. And it gives me almost 125 kms to 10 litres in countryside

Eureka!

The correct solution is to send the car to Agha Waqar Engineer to get a Water Generator Kit installed as was shown on TV and drive on 100% water.

Problem solved. :D

Back
Top Bottom