What's new

Car consuming too much fuel :(

I need some advice.

How much mileage should a suzuki alto give on petroleum?

A friend's Alto is giving her terrible mileage on petroleum: 75 km per 1000 rupee fuel (that is 10 liters aprrox.)

Mechanic says that there is nothing wrong with the rmp, it is tuned for petroleum, nothing up with the plugs, carborator and no leaks.

So what else could be wrong?

P.s. only serious posters reply

That is 7.5 KMPL. Wow that is even less that what my car gives me. Just that She is V6 3.7 L with 307 HP.

This can't be normal. Did she get her Alto Modified.

Also get the car hooked up to a diagnostics computer..
Unlike the previous carburator engines these EFI engines have too many sensors and if any sensor is messed up,it will raise fuel consumption...
The check sensors only way is to hook it up to a diagnosis computer..
Usually its the lambda sensor or mass air flow sensor that gets messed up and effects air fuel mixture..

Oil & Oil filter should be changed along with cleaning air filter on regular basis...

Getting good fuel economy is important:

Hike in petrol price by Rs1.50, cut in diesel by Rs2/- proposed | Business - geo.tv

Hike in petrol price by Rs1.50, cut in diesel by Rs2/- proposed
May 27, 2013 - Updated 1210 PKT

ISLAMABAD: The summary for the revision of petroleum products’ prices has been prepared, which would be sent to the ministry of petroleum on May 30, Geo News reported on Monday.

Sources said that the petrol price hike by Rs1.50 and a cut in diesel price by Rs2.00 have been proposed in the prepared summary.

OGRA sources said that kerosene price cut expected by paisa 15 per litre, while light diesel price likely to go up by paisa 5 and HOBC by paisa 50 per litre.

Petroleum products’ new prices would be effective from June 1.

I am not sure about the mileage that it gives, but there are some steps you can take that can keep fuel consumption normal. Make sure that the oil is changed on time, and after a certain number of oil changes its time for a tune up. Try and get good quality petrol, make sure the tires are good, and not low on air. The alignment is good. Well those are a few steps that your friend can take to make sure that the engine is good, and not eating up on the fuel.

tell her to change the Gas station

I would get the year of the car and specific model (it looks like there are different versions of the Alto) look up what the manufacturer stated the mileage should be (though obviously those figures are based on optimal conditions and based on the terrain she's driving, the quality of fuel she's using, how old her car is, how many people are diving with her, etc...) and compare them to what she's stated.

If it's way off then something might be wrong but if you have taken it to two or three mechanics and no one sees anything wrong with the car than it's probably just an old car and no longer as fuel efficient as it used to be.

If she's concerned about gas prices I would think switching over to natural gas might be better since it's technically cheaper though I'm not sure what prices are like in Pakistan.

Thank you to the rest of you all!

- but you cannot drive in karachi without putting your foot on the clutch
- the car is not smoking anything - black or white

I think the car has a leak.

Will keep you posted on this!

Sorry to say this Elmo ji,if you have to keep your foot on the clutch all the time,no matter what the traffic is,you are a bad driver and your car will be messed up too.

@MastanKhan

I believe you can help.

Hi,

Thank you.

Elmo---first check---if someone is in need of fuel---like someone syphoning it off.

Is she buying the gas from the same gas station---what if their guage is offset---try using another gas station

What was the gas mileage prior to this problem? Is she getting the maintenance done at the same place---.

What is the manufacturers advertised gas mileage per litre.

By the way---how old is the car and how many miles on it---

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is the same model, but wow it does give great petrol consumption:

Driving for Economy: Suzuki Alto gets 117 mpg in Global Green Challenge

Driving for Economy: Suzuki Alto gets 117 mpg in Global Green Challenge

By Jeremy Korzeniewski RSS feed Google+

Posted Nov 3rd 2009 3:01PM
--

Proving once again that the way you drive is equally as important (and perhaps more so) than what you are driving is the Suzuki Alto. While the little Japanese runabout is certainly a fuel miser in its own right, we wouldn't have guessed that it could achieve over 100 miles per gallon no matter how light its accelerator were pressed, but that's exactly what happened at this year's Global Green Challenge.

In fact, the Suzuki Alto managed to churn out 117 miles from each and every U.S. gallon of gasoline (this equals 141 mpg in the UK with carbon emissions of 89.9 g/km). The route took the little car a total of 1,900 miles in seven days from Darwin to Adelaide in Australia. That performance was good enough that the Alto took home top awards in the Light and Small categories as well as the scoring the Best Urban Cycle trophy.

[Source: Suzuki]

PRESS RELEASE:

ALTO ACHIEVES 141MPG IN CITY DRIVING

COMPLETES 1,900 MILE AUSTRALIAN FUEL CONSUMPTION CHALLENGE AVERAGING 72MPG

After a successful New Zealand North-South drive at an average of 64mpg last month, the highly fuel efficient Suzuki Alto has taken part in a further MPG marathon, this time down through Australia, managing to complete the journey at an average consumption of 72mpg overall, an 18.5 per cent improvement over the official Australian combined figure (+13 per cent over European figure) and a staggering 141mpg (2.0 litres per 100km) attained in City traffic – the lowest recorded of any entered vehicle.

The Global Green Challenge ran North-South from Darwin to Adelaide and placed conventional and alternative fuel cars against each other in a 1,900 mile real world test. The winner of the challenge was the vehicle judged to have recorded the biggest improvement over its official fuel consumption figure.

Alto won the 'Light' and 'Small' car categories; 'best urban cycle' category and an overall CO2 emission of 89.9g/km, using just 123 litres of fuel for the seven day trip.

Despite some extremely trying conditions for drivers and cars alike, with most teams opting to turn off the air conditioning to save fuel even in temperatures soaring to 43 degrees centigrade, the 1.0-litre petrol engined Alto continued to defy expectations by showing some of the much more expensive diesel cars the true meaning of fuel economy.

Using a simple combination of lightweight design, aerodynamic efficiency and a small and efficient 1.0-litre petrol engine the Alto managed to outrank similar size diesel cars including the Ford Fiesta ECOnetic Turbo Diesel and MINI Cooper D which recorded an overall improvement in mpg of 15.4 per cent and 12.2 per cent respectively.

The Alto is one of the lowest emission vehicles on sale in the UK at 103g/km with an annual VED charge of just £35. Alto is priced from £7,495 for the SZ2 grade and is available under the Government Scrappage scheme from just £5,495.

For more information on the Suzuki product range visit Suzuki - Way of Life!.

Alto made in Pakistan are of very poor quality..
can't compare it to alto made abroad...

I can help your friend personally if she is pretty :D

Alto made in Pakistan are of very poor quality..
can't compare it to alto made abroad...

That may be true, but that story shows just how big a difference driving style can make in petrol consumption. I also think that the driving in our cities with lots of stop and go and slow speed driving gives poor mileage.

Back
Top Bottom