What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

tidbits by eaglehannon
JFT and FC20 did not come into existence as mere air superiority fighters. From the design board, they were meant to be MULTIROLE. 2ndly, if this was the reality, I am sure the project directors and other seniors would never have said “FC20 is our high end platform”
J-10A the first J10 to go into production, unlike what you said was a dedicated Ground attack fighter. J10 had SAR since a long time; JL10 fire control radar onboard J10A version has already incorporated inverse ISAR capability. I had this debate before on another green forum, regarding SAR capability of J-10A version, later I came to know through by Chinese sources (not some bloggers but actual operator) that the primary mission since 2007 for initial batches of J-10s was ground attack and protection of South China Sea and complement SU30s. The reason for J10A rejection by PAF was that with JL10 fire control radar and almost no sensor fusion, J10A was hardly a middle tier aircraft. In 2009, even Chinese sources confirmed that JF-17s fire control radar requirements were higher than that of ”then” J-10. J-10A WAS NOT BOUGHT BECAUSE IT IS NOTHING MORE THAN A MIRRAGE REPLACEMENT. This is also the reason why Chinese air force was not interested in JFTs as they had a same capability aircraft with little long legs and higher payloads.

FC20 on the other hand is totally new approach to fire control radar. Chinese requirement to replace their aging high end force (and self reliance for this category) dictated the firm cooperation with Pakistanis with experience and access to advanced fire control radars. The AESA, sensor pods, integrated IRST and a lot of sensor fusion and composites made FC20 sit comfortably in the league of 4.5 generation EU birds. FC20 is what PAF is interested in and it DOES give capability enhancements over blk52s.

If you ask me how would FC20 be the top tier AC? Well, to start with, FC20 insures that all the indigenous OFFENSIVE munitions can be incorporated in a bird which is open to Pakistan and which has sensors to complement the weapon which then can be taken at long distances with precision and full effectiveness. I DON'T SEE THIS LEVERAGE WITH F16s which shall be carrying no other weapon but of AMERICAN origin in limited numbers with unreliable supplies and LIMITED OPERATIONAL USE. F16s will limit us to use US weapons and leave us with no platform with longer legs to take current weapons H2/H4/Raad and many more to come along with continually improving air launched Chinese weapons. WHY DO WE NEED TO HAVE AN AIR LAUNCHED WEAPONS PROGRAME AT ALL IF THERE IS NO PLATFORM TO CARRY IT AND USE IT WITH FULL OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVES? This translates in ANOTHER DEPENDANCE OF US WEAPONARY WITH I REPEAT “LIMITED OPERATIONAL ENVELOPE”.

FC20 ensures, we may acquire techs from here and there develop it AS WE LIKE, add sensor for it on the platform or use the existing AS WE LIKE, produce as many AS WE LIKE, CONTINUE AND EXPAND OUR AIR LAUNCHED PROGRAME AND MAKE USE OF THAT OF OUR ALLIES instead of putting all our eggs in one basket and stay operationally dependant on a unreliable, fair weather supplier.

FC20 gives a new life to indigenous air launched weapons program. Gives the flexibility of Operational use over long distances and comes with excellent new generation sensors we can base our new weapons production on.

Yes it is since it's a picture posted several months ago,and at that time all the J-10s are using the AL-31FN.Unless new picture rleased.we can not prove if the rumor is true that they are testing the FWS-10A on the J-10B.

Personally,i think that PAF FC20\ J10B with WS 10A is impossible.
infs
127 AL31FN for export and spare parts (The contract has been signed by avic and salut)
137AL31FN(MAX)(The contract is under negotiation in Beijing)

I think they are busy with testing on J11. If it is evolved enough then.... When that will be? I expect 2014-2015 be real turning point. And 127 engines are for the J11 in service. I think those next engines are for FC20. But I do not think that with the cash the Chinese are investing right now that it will take that long. If you look at the number of UAV's now... They can afford it. The engine issue is much more important. We can trust them to be taken serious.

Personally,i think that PAF FC20\ J10B with WS 10A is impossible.
infs
127 AL31FN for export and spare parts (The contract has been signed by avic and salut)
137AL31FN(MAX)(The contract is under negotiation in Beijing)

It could be true that it's a logistic reason that the PAF believes to maitan two Russian engines(RD-93 and AL-31FN) is easier than one Russian and one Chinese(FWS-10A).Also current FWS-10A has some bugs on it.But still it doesn't mean the PLAAF will give up the efforts to install the FWS-10A on the J-10B because the current problems we met on the FWS-10A we will have to face them again on the WS-15.We have no choice but to solve it one by one and step by step.The FWS-10 is the first time that the Chinese defence industry tried to designe,develope and massively produce a heavy tubofan engine,I believe the AVIC and the PLA won't abandon it even we still have the opptunity to import the Russian engines.So the PAF will choose the AL-31FN,but we have to rely on our FWS-10 series.

^post 4221

AMF is a project with Pak. ??? is it fc20 or 5th gen fighhter?

AMF = Aircraft Manufacturing Factory (A Part of PAC)

AMF = Advance Medium FIghter ( Rumored name given to JF-17 uprgraded versions)

Which one. J10b or J10A???

BCZ j10b have to take a place in line now .you know PLAAF is NO.1 and PLAN is NO.2,PAF is NO.3.
But PAF can not wait to equip J10B in 2014,so PAF first to equip some j10a and j10s(new aircraft electronic system),,,,,,then PAF will equip j10B in 2014

Back
Top Bottom