What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Stealth vs stealth is going to be like the air to air version of submarine warfare. It's a nightmare for both sides.

One way for the J-20 to "defeat" the F-22 would be to bypass the F-22 completely and destroy the USAF aerial refueling tankers. If the F-22 can't even get to the fight, the J-20 wins by default. At the end of the day, the F-22 still has to operate from a limited number of fixed airbases and it doesn't have an infinite combat radius.

An even better strategy would be to destroy the airbase itself with conventional ballistic and cruise missiles.

usafbasescopy.jpg

every plane has passive detection. if what you said was true, every plane would just maintain radio silence... doesn't happen.
yes every jet may have passive detection but they dont have both ELINT & SIGNIT capabilty like alr 94 of f22 & spectra of
rafale(defensive & offensive ability) which separates them from the rest .LIke gambit sir had replied u earlier the same thing i am going to say to u that f22 doent need to turn on it's radar to detect j20 but j20 may have to turn on it's radar to detect it and once it's does ALR 94 detects it & cue it's aimraam 120d missiles towards it with out turning on it's own aesa radar for locking
it's target .The problem is j20 can detect f22 in passive mode, only & unless if f22 turns on it's radar which might not happen
until china develops a similiar system of it's own .Until then f22 has an unfair advantage to j20

thats why i insist u to read about passive detection abiliy of f22 then only u can understand what i mean
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-9268-start-0.html

Stealth vs stealth is going to be like the air to air version of submarine warfare. It's a nightmare for both sides.

One way for the J-20 to "defeat" the F-22 would be to bypass the F-22 completely and destroy the USAF aerial refueling tankers. If the F-22 can't even get to the fight, the J-20 wins by default. At the end of the day, the F-22 still has to operate from a limited number of fixed airbases and it doesn't have an infinite combat radius.

An even better strategy would be to destroy the airbase itself with conventional ballistic and cruise missiles.

usafbasescopy.jpg

Wow..... You think that Americans are so dumb?
:cheesy:

Different from sub wars because subs leave acoustic wakes which is sonar detected but there's no EM analog for planes, and acoustic detection in gases for supersonic objects is essentially impossible.

the sensors are optical, but usually in IR region. They can pick up a fighter sized target at about 70km head on, but at given altitudes and conditions. your optical sensor will not pick up a low flying target at 70km and an F-35 for example would not fly high all the time.

even so, it is hard to tell the vector of the plane in the IRST, and more over , even if the IRST sensor picks up the plane, a disturbing piece of news i got recently (last year) was that the IR sensor on an IRIS-T missile (state of the art) tracked the rear end of an F22 happily ... but could not get a lock on it ... and the F22 was close enough for the JHMS i.e. visual range .. that is really disturbing ..it means that even say an EF2000 were to drop behind an F22 by surprise and fired a salvo of IRIS-T missiles, some missiles would never acquire a lock on it.. the success rate of a missile that is fired without a lock on is ... a roll of a die at best..

gives an indication of how effective the nozzles on the raptor are. The russians claim the seekers on their short range missiles are more sensitive than the IRIS-T.. perhaps they are, but nobody knows for sure.

thermal IR is strongly attenuated by the atmosphere, which diminishes passive seekers like those used on IR trackers for IR missiles today. What about active IR/red vis laser tracking, or even combined sensors? Atmospheric attenuation of near IR/visible is only slightly lower than radar.

Also, I think TV guided AA missiles could be a valid choice. Nothing has optical stealth, and you can just get a TV guided missile and either get a gunner in the backseat or program the computer to look for the USAF rondel.

J-20 first ground test on new year 2012.01.08

thx to himitechworld uploading

original source 56.com:【56城事拍客-成都】æ*¼20新年首次亮相试飞 全动尾翼 -原创视频 在线观看 视频下载-56网视频
editor:汉魂雄风

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

J-20 first test flight on new year 2012.01.13

thx to himitechworld uploading

original source 56.com:j-20 2012
editor:汉魂雄风

Last edited by a moderator:
CANARDS ANGULATION & IT'S RELATION TO STEALTH
canardslocation1.jpg

ABRUPT CHANGES IN ANGULATION OF ALIGNMENT OF CANARDS IN J20
j20f22comparisoncopya.jpg

WELL NOW SEE RAFALE 'S CANARDS
RAFALEF22.jpg

rafalecanards.jpg

1. The J-20 is designed for stealth. Rafale is not. We can expect J-20 canards to be made of composites. The Rafale probably has a much lower composite content to minimize cost.

The much higher use of composites for the J-20 canards and canard-fuselage junction will lead to a significantly smaller RCS than the Rafale.

2. The J-20 canards and junction have RAM (radar absorbent material) coating. Rafale does not.

3. I have already calculated that the fraction of radar return for J-20 canard junction/gap is incredibly miniscule at 1.1745 x 10E-23 of the original power emission (see post #1262) prior to additional reduction from the RAM coating.

4. Australia Air Power has already simulated the J-20 radar return across nine radar bands and concluded it can achieve all-aspect stealth across all nine radar bands (see post #1277).

5. Since the J-20 is in the test flight stage until 2018, the Chinese engineers could easily modify the J-20 design to include a "structure to hide the canard gap" if they felt it was necessary.

6. The shape of the junction between the J-20 canard and fuselage is absolutely critical. My calculation was based on a flat surface junction. If, as I suspect, the J-20 canard junction is shaped at a 45-degree angle like the F-22 (see below) then the incoming radar signal will become similarly attenuated beyond detection and also deflected away.

F-22 Raptor airduct-fuselage gap is not a stealth hindrance

Normally, the gap between the F-22 Raptor airduct and the fuselage is poor stealth design. A gap permits additional radar reflections and it should be avoided. However, a close examination of the F-22 Raptor's airduct-fuselage gap shows no penalty in stealth.

G9WCP.jpg

The gap between the F-22 Raptor airduct and fuselage is clearly noticeable.

5fN7w.jpg

F-22 Raptor underside. The back of the airduct and fuselage gap is intentionally angled at approximately 45 degrees.

9BoFw.jpg

A ray-trace analysis of a radar beam shows a minimum of four reflections from the RAM-coated surface of the F-22.

The effectiveness of RAM coating is a 99.684% reduction (or 0.00316 left) in radar energy (see citation below).

To calculate the amount of the original radar energy that entered the F-22 airduct-fuselage gap and was able to egress/reflect out of the gap after striking the angled surface in the back, we have to reduce the original radar energy by four reflections from the RAM-coated airduct and fuselage walls.

Amount of original radar energy that can escape F-22 airduct-fuselage gap = (0.00316) ^ 4 = 9.97 x 10E-11

The maximum amount of radar energy that can escape from the F-22 airduct-fuselage gap is identical to the maximum radar energy that can escape from the F-22 S-duct. The radar reflections are both extremely low and virtually undetectable at 9.97 x 10E-11 of the original incoming radar energy.

----------

Citation for RAM coating reduction of 99.684% reduction in radar energy.

From my February 12, 2011 post:

Revised final estimate for J-20 canards' radar return energy is 1.035 x 10^-17

I find Gambit's arguments for a -25 dB reduction, instead of -50 dB, from RAM coating to be convincing. I have revised my calculations for the effect from China J-20's canards. Quickie is correct that -25 dB is equivalent to 99.684% reduction (e.g. 10^2.5; take inverse; and convert to percentage). Thank you to Delft for highlighting the issue.
After hitting the canards, we know that 99.684% of the reflected energy is reduced by the military-grade RAM. (See Radar-absorbing materials: Definition from Answers.com) This means that only 0.00316 (e.g. 1 - 0.99684 = 0.00316) of the impacting radar energy survives contact with the canard's RAM surface.

gambit said:
Even if you do not have relevant experience in the field, IF you actually read your source carefully, scant as it is, you would not have made the ridiculous claim that an airborne absorber would affect up to five-9s of the impinging signal.

Your quite general source reads...

The quarter wavelength rule is quite applicable to airborne absorber. As material DECREASING thickness approaches quarter wavelength of the targeted freq, absorber performances decreases. In most cases, the targeted freq is the X-band, which is the centimetric (cm) band. We found out a long time ago that increasing thickness to greater than quarter wavelength would incur an unacceptable weight penalty, especially if the absorber is of the magnetic type, which are ferrite particles in a dielectric containment, aka sheet or liquid applique.

Here is a source to prove that...

HYFRAL™ CATALOGUE - Types of absorbers (THEOREMS AND PRINCIPES) - ELECTROMAGNETIC ABSORBERS

The only type of absorber that can affect up to five-9s of the impinging signal would be the pyramidal type...

Absorber performance is highly dependent upon the targeted freqs, even if it is 'wideband'.

Here is an F-22 in an EM anechoic chamber...

f22_anecho_test_79.jpg

All those pyramidal absorbers would give us the most accurate RCS measurement of any object since they will absorb any chamber walls reflections that could constructively interfere with the reflections off the aircraft.

If absorber in general would affect five-9s of the impinging radar signal as you (falsely) claimed, there would be no need for shaping at all since whatever left of the signal -- the echo -- would lose even more energy on the way back to the seeking radar. What is that about energy loss to the square of the distance rule? Why not coat the whole aircraft with the stuff instead of just the canards? If this is true, we would have never built the F-117 in the first place looking funky as it is?

----------

I don't understand why Dr. Somnath thinks the J-20 canard junction could be a stealth hindrance. Australia Air Power has already modeled it across nine radar bands and concluded there is no design problem to match the F-22 in all-aspect stealth.

The key question is the lack of stealthy flat nozzles on the J-20. Will China be able to develop stealthy flat nozzles without significantly impairing the thrust output/engine performance of the J-20 by 2018?

Australia Air Power: J-20 is a "genuine Very Low Observable design"

59dUY.jpg

J-20 Mighty Dragon is a "genuine Very Low Observable design" except for round engine nozzles, which can be fixed.

The Chengdu J-20: Peace in Our Time?

"This study has therefore established through Physical Optics simulation across nine radio-frequency bands, that no fundamental obstacles exist in the shaping design of the J-20 prototype precluding its development into a genuine Very Low Observable design.

4LFqA.jpg

Above: L-band RCS, below X-band RCS head on, both in PCSR format (M.J. Pelosi).

BGXue.jpg

Engineers and Scientists who work in ‘stealth’ (AKA ‘Low Observable’) designs have a way for explaining it to lay people: ‘Stealth’ is achieved by Shaping, Shaping, Shaping and Materials (Denys Overholser).

The F-22A is clearly well shaped for low observability above about 500 MHz, and from all important aspects. (article continues)"

1. The J-20 is designed for stealth. Rafale is not. We can expect J-20 canards to be made of composites. The Rafale probably has a much lower composite content to minimize cost.

The much higher use of composites for the J-20 canards and canard-fuselage junction will lead to a significantly smaller RCS than the Rafale.
true rafale is not a stealth fighter everyone knows it ,but the motto of my posting rafale pics is to
clear say that angulation of canards with respect to it's body in rafale is more ideal for stealth
than j20 's canards .Thats why i posted a pics in my above post clearly saying the importance
of angulation of canards with respect to stealth

2. The J-20 canards and junction have RAM (radar absorbent material) coating. Rafale does not.
good but it has no role or atbest minimal role in preventing backscattering of reflected radar
waves from a constantly mobile canards
ram coating are not always effective clear example is F117 shot down by serbian due to weather
changes
Radar-absorbent material, or RAM, is a class of materials used in stealth technology to disguise a vehicle or structure from radar detection. A material's absorbency at a given frequency of radar wave depends upon its composition. RAM cannot perfectly absorb radar at any frequency, but any given composition does have greater absorbency at some frequencies than others; there is no one RAM that is suited to absorption of all radar frequencies.

A common misunderstanding is that RAM makes an object invisible to radar. A radar absorbent material can significantly reduce an object's radar cross-section in specific radar frequencies, but it does not result in "invisibility" on any frequency. Bad weather may contribute to deficiencies in stealth capability. A particularly disastrous example occurred during the Kosovo war, in which moisture on the surface of an F-117 Nighthawk allowed long-wavelength radar to track and shoot it down. RAM is only a part of achieving stealth.

3. I have already calculated that the fraction of radar return for J-20 canard junction/gap is incredibly miniscule at 1.1745 x 10E-23 of the original power emission (see post #1262) prior to additional reduction from the RAM coating.
well the calculation of reflected is based upon static condition only but the calculation abrupty
changes when the plane moves at different angulation or manuveurs

4. Australia Air Power has already simulated the J-20 radar return across nine radar bands and concluded it can achieve all-aspect stealth across all nine radar bands (see post #1277).
again that god damned PO algorithm drama that is based upon static condition only &
mathematical equations ,which automatically changes when the target is mobile or at different angulation .It has not been tested in real time with radar frequencies of all range .It is based on
calculation only.
One more thing i like to say is Kaapo is an alarmist.his ploy is to delibertley sully the image of JSF-35 & to acquire F22 from US for australian air force .

5. Since the J-20 is in the test flight stage until 2018, the Chinese engineers could easily modify the J-20 design to include a "structure to hide the canard gap" if they felt it was necessary.
yes it is in protype stages so u can say that changes can be made on it & i have to accept it.But my view is they should remove canards & have 3 axis TVC instead .But it wont happen i think

6. The shape of the junction between the J-20 canard and fuselage is absolutely critical. My calculation was based on a flat surface junction. If, as I suspect, the J-20 canard junction is shaped at a 45-degree angle like the F-22 (see below) then the incoming radar signal will become similarly attenuated beyond detection and also deflected away.
yes thats the key which j20 dont have but rafale has ,as their is abrupt change in angulation due
to DSI intake in j20 & that's what i am trying to say that these provide corner reflecting surface which is detrimental for stealth purpose

F-22 Raptor airduct-fuselage gap is not a stealth hindrance

Normally, the gap between the F-22 Raptor airduct and the fuselage is poor stealth design. A gap permits additional radar reflections and it should be avoided. However, a close examination of the F-22 Raptor's airduct-fuselage gap shows no penalty in stealth.

The gap between the F-22 Raptor airduct and fuselage is clearly noticeable.

F-22 Raptor underside. The back of the airduct and fuselage gap is intentionally angled at approximately 45 degrees.

A ray-trace analysis of a radar beam shows a minimum of four reflections from the RAM-coated surface of the F-22.

The effectiveness of RAM coating is a 99.684% reduction (or 0.00316 left) in radar energy (see citation below).

To calculate the amount of the original radar energy that entered the F-22 airduct-fuselage gap and was able to egress/reflect out of the gap after striking the angled surface in the back, we have to reduce the original radar energy by four reflections from the RAM-coated airduct and fuselage walls.

Amount of original radar energy that can escape F-22 airduct-fuselage gap = (0.00316) ^ 4 = 9.97 x 10E-11

The maximum amount of radar energy that can escape from the F-22 airduct-fuselage gap is identical to the maximum radar energy that can escape from the F-22 S-duct. The radar reflections are both extremely low and virtually undetectable at 9.97 x 10E-11 of the original incoming radar energy.
true but it doesnt act as corner reflecting surface like canards while it's backscaterring is absorbed 90-95% by body while canards 's back scaterring of radar waves is impossible to absorb 100% even if it may be build of 100% composites & have RAM coating in canard fuselarge juntion while it
is mobile constantly

----------

----------
I don't understand why Dr. Somnath thinks the J-20 canard junction could be a stealth hindrance. Australia Air Power has already modeled it across nine radar bands and concluded there is no design problem to match the F-22 in all-aspect stealth.
well thats why i clearly posted the pics explaining the importance of canards location with respect
to it's body regarding stealth & also u can see from the pics below as there is abrupt changes in
alignment angle of canards due to gap between DSI & CANARDS
j20f22comparisoncopya.jpg

The key question is the lack of stealthy flat nozzles on the J-20. Will China be able to develop stealthy flat nozzles without significantly impairing the thrust output/engine performance of the J-20 by 2018?
well this is another factor, but JSF also has round nozzles with saw tooth edges & also u cannot
have 3 axis TVC if u have 2d nozzles.But most important aspect of stealth is Frontal radar cross
section as this is the key for most aerial bvr combat & that's why canard has always raises doubt
regarding stealth aspects of plane as compare to rear tail fins of F22 & pakfa though canards have
more advantage in manuverabilty as compare to rear tail fins of F22 & pakfa

Australia Air Power: J-20 is a "genuine Very Low Observable design"

J-20 Mighty Dragon is a "genuine Very Low Observable design" except for round engine nozzles, which can be fixed.

"This study has therefore established through Physical Optics simulation across nine radio-frequency bands, that no fundamental obstacles exist in the shaping design of the J-20 prototype precluding its development into a genuine Very Low Observable design.

Engineers and Scientists who work in ‘stealth’ (AKA ‘Low Observable’) designs have a way for explaining it to lay people: ‘Stealth’ is achieved by Shaping, Shaping, Shaping and Materials (Denys Overholser).

The F-22A is clearly well shaped for low observability above about 500 MHz, and from all important aspects. (article continues)"

well same thing as i said above no reapeat on this

BUt i want to ask a simple question answer me

ARE CYLINDERS LESS STEALTHY COMPARE TO FLAT SURFACE?

In this context it should also be noted that a flat plate focuses its backscattering
on a very narrow angular sector, with a high RCS value.
A sphere, by contrast, has a low RCS value which is uniform at all angles.
Thus, on a limited angular sector around the specular direction, spheres
and cylinders give the lowest RCS values. If otherwise, RCS must be kept
low on a wide angular sector, then it is better to use very narrow-beam
shapes such as the flat plate, correctly aimed in order to avoid the specular
flash [7].
http://hamwaves.com/stealth/contents/chapter_01.pdf

can the jet engine have stealth features it self?

are single piece canopies more stealth than two pieces if so what about F-35, B-2 or F-117?
imgp76.gif

f-22-raptor-turns.jpg

F-22 flat nacelles only give a very big RCS when the radar is on a perpendicular direction to the radar,

Square trihedral corner reflector Strongest radar return due to triple reflection of incident wave

geo02.jpg

Right dihedral corner reflector Second strongest radar return due to double reflection of incident wave; decreases from maximum slowly with changing θ and rapidly with changing φ
geo03.jpg

Flat plate Third strongest radar return due to direct reflection of incident wave; decreases rapidly as incidence angle changes from perpendicular

Right circular cylinder Strong radar return as aspect (θ) changes, but decreases rapidly as azimuth (φ) changes

geo04.jpg

Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - Radar Cross Section

From a frontal view the F-22 is very stealthy
F22Taxying12oClock.jpg

however radars will see the F-22 from angles more like this
F22TakeoffWithMountain.jpg

Dr. Somnath, I agree with you that the J-20 and F-22 are imperfect. From an angular side-view, there is more surface area for a radar reflection. However, the radar return will be minimized by the RAM coating and shaping to deflect the radar away from the emitter.

My point is that you seem to focus on what I consider to be minor matters on the J-20. It is inconsequential if the J-20 has a less-clean angle regarding the air-intake and canard than a Rafale. It is more than offset by the J-20 canard's composite construction, RAM coating, and probably 45-degree-angle-shaped canard-fuselage junction.

Your posts are rather strange (and somewhat like Gambit's). You can't just look at a minor design choice and ignore the J-20's strengths. You have to weigh a design choice against the J-20's strengths (e.g. composites, shaped canard to deflect away radar, RAM coating, and shaped junction) to determine whether it makes any difference stealth-wise.

Attention to detail allows the J-20 and F-22 designers to circumvent or minimize the broad general problems that you mention.

For example, the F-22 airduct-fuselage gap is a poor design choice. However, my ray-trace analysis and calculations have shown that the gap is inconsequential to the F-22's stealth. This is called thoroughly examining a perceived weakness and properly analyzing it against its strength (e.g. 45-degree angled backface).

That is all that I want to say on this issue. As customary, I will give you the last word.

----------

If you do a ray trace of the J-20's edge along the air-inlet and canard area, it should be obvious that incoming radar waves will be minimized by the RAM coating and deflected away.

59dUY.jpg

7IZJz.jpg

This is a closer look at the J-20 canard from the picture above. Look closely at the careful shaping of the edge along the air-inlet and canard area. The J-20 designers had carefully used a continuous-curvature shaped surface to minimize and deflect the incoming radar.

Dr. Somnath, I agree with you that the J-20 and F-22 are imperfect.
now u r getting me completly wrong when did i say j20 & f22 are imperfect ,i was just stating an example from stealth point of
view only .U r doing great injustice to me & f22 raptor that f22 is imperfect ,raptor is a great jet no doubt about it.BUt j20 is in developmental stages only so it's very premature for me to say it as perfect or imperfect .YEs i had also stated some flaws in pakfa but that doesnt mean that pakfa is imperfect .

From an angular side-view, there is more surface area for a radar reflection. However, the radar return will be minimized by the RAM coating and shaping to deflect the radar away from the emitter.
well material is secondary but 1st is shaping & angulation ,the motto for our stealth jet should be to reflect as less radar waves/
energy to it's tracker's jet/ awacs/sam radars as much as possible

My point is that you seem to focus on what I consider to be minor matters on the J-20. It is inconsequential if the J-20 has a less-clean angle regarding the air-intake and canard than a Rafale. It is more than offset by the J-20 canard's composite construction, RAM coating, and probably 45-degree-angle-shaped canard-fuselage junction.
minor matters may be round engine nozzles for radar evading issues only ,but for IR signatures may be it's important .
But canards angulation is important for reduction of FRONTAL RADAR CROSS SECTION though u can say many reasons to deny it like composties ,ram coating.
U see even russian had mig mfi fighter which had canards also sukoi flanker derivaties had canards but russians sticked to LERX &
LEVCONS instead of CANARDS in pakfa why ? becoz they gave importance to FRONTAL radar cross section as compare to general
airframe .

Your posts are rather strange (and somewhat like Gambit's).

:lol: now i have tried my level best to explain my POV regarding stealth aspect as clearly as possible within my capabilties.though
if u cant get it or u dont want to get it that i cant do anything.
Well every guy has it's own POV whether it may be gambit sir ,MIG 23 mld or PDtm 3 ,so it's upto u to decide & compare my
views with them or not .
You can't just look at a minor design choice and ignore the J-20's strengths.
You have to weigh a design choice against the J-20's strengths (e.g. composites, shaped canard to deflect away radar, RAM coating, and shaped junction) to determine whether it makes any difference stealth-wise.
well j20 is in developmental stages but it still has many good stealth features apart from certain flaws & i had to accept that .
YES u have to consider some negatives point also along with positive points about any plane in a fair way that includes every jet

Attention to detail allows the J-20 and F-22 designers to circumvent or minimize the broad general problems that you mention.

For example, the F-22 airduct-fuselage gap is a poor design choice. However, my ray-trace analysis and calculations have shown that the gap is inconsequential to the F-22's stealth. This is called thoroughly examining a perceived weakness and properly analyzing it against its strength (e.g. 45-degree angled backface).
well the same explanation i had given above about it ,i am not gonna repeat that same thing again & again

----------

no need to fix instead have a supercruise engine with 3 axis TVC would be more useful i assume

7IZJz.jpg

This is a closer look at the J-20 canard from the picture above. Look closely at the careful shaping of the edge along the air-inlet and canard area. The J-20 designers had carefully used a continuous-curvature shaped surface to minimize and deflect the incoming radar.
but this pics is from a certain angle only if u look it from another angle when the canards are mobile the whole scenario changes ,a stealth plane should remain stealthy from all aspect like B2 bomber.

Also the angulation of canards is wrong regarding J20 & i have shown in the pics

That is all that I want to say on this issue. As customary, I will give you the last word.
hmm plz dont say that as there are many more issues still left to debate :lol:

Yes, the canards are horrible but all the moving control surfaces on the F-22 are just fine. :cheesy:
It is the locations of structures that are the issues. Your post shows you know little about this subject. Use the 'Search' feature and learn.

Back
Top Bottom