What's new

China conducts test on ground-based midcourse missile interception

I guess this is to tell the Obama administration: you don't wanna break off the military communication as a big new anti-means added into the PLA unclearness list.

I am starting to believe that many assessments of China's military capabilities are just mere guesses. It's becoming a tradition in January (whether 2007 or 2010) for China to show us a new technological capability.

For some unknown reason, the CIA cannot seem to obtain information about China's weapons development. In contrast, for example, Western intelligence gathering and projections of Russian or Iranian military capabilities have been fairly accurate. There have been no real surprises coming out of Russia or Iran.

I don't know how China manages to keep its military secrets in the modern world of spy satellites and communication intercepts. Based on their track record, I can only conclude that Western intelligence agencies don't really know what's going on with the PLA.

In the last few years, the Pentagon has been surprised by the following:

J-10: China takes a jump from Mig-21s to F-16s technology.

052C: Chinese Aegis-class destroyer; Pentagon had been puzzled by talk of Chinese "magic shield" naval ship (hint to the Pentagon: Aegis in Greek means "magic shield")

KJ-2000 AWACS: U.S. went to great lengths to block Phalcon deal between China and Israel in year 2000. China builds an AESA AWACS on her own.

I can't remember whether Type 093 and Type 094 nuclear submarines were deployed ahead of the estimated dates by the West. I think the nuclear submarines were deployed in 2004 and the original Western estimates were 2009 or 2010, but I'm not sure.

ASAT in 2007. U.S. Pentagon general gave a briefing on that very afternoon on Capitol Hill saying that Chinese conventional ASAT capability was "at least 10 years away."

Underground "Great Wall:" Chinese 5,000 KM strategic nuclear counterstrike capability. I had never heard of this project until photos showed up on Chinese tv of the massive underground (and/or under-mountain) tunnels.

Chinese NMD: China successfully intercepts a ballistic missile during mid-course. China has proven that she is making great strides in building a national ballistic missile defense.

Oh, lest I forget, during the 60th anniversary parade, I think we saw the Chinese Anti-ship ballistic missile (i.e. ASBM) that had been in development for 13 years. The ASBM is designed to destroy large naval ships with a terminal velocity of Mach 10.

And, only recently, the Pentagon was saying that a Chinese stealth fighter would not be deployed until 2025 at the earliest. A few months later, while being interviewed on tv for the 60th anniversary of the PLAAF, a deputy general said that the Chinese stealth fighter will be deployed by 2017-2019.

What I want to know is: What other surprises can we expect from the PLA? Also, when is the CIA and military intelligence going to give us a "heads-up" on the PLA weapons programs?

I am starting to believe that many assessments of China's military capabilities are just mere guesses. It's becoming a tradition in January (whether 2007 or 2010) for China to show us a new technological capability.

For some unknown reason, the CIA cannot seem to obtain information about China's weapons development. In contrast, for example, Western intelligence gathering and projections of Russian or Iranian military capabilities have been fairly accurate. There have been no real surprises coming out of Russia or Iran.

I don't know how China manages to keep its military secrets in the modern world of spy satellites and communication intercepts. Based on their track record, I can only conclude that Western intelligence agencies don't really know what's going on with the PLA.

In the last few years, the Pentagon has been surprised by the following:

J-10: China takes a jump from Mig-21s to F-16s technology.

052C: Chinese Aegis-class destroyer; Pentagon had been puzzled by talk of Chinese "magic shield" naval ship (hint to the Pentagon: Aegis in Greek means "magic shield")

KJ-2000 AWACS: U.S. went to great lengths to block Phalcon deal between China and Israel in year 2000. China builds an AESA AWACS on her own.

I can't remember whether Type 093 and Type 094 nuclear submarines were deployed ahead of the estimated dates by the West. I think the nuclear submarines were deployed in 2004 and the original Western estimates were 2009 or 2010, but I'm not sure.

ASAT in 2007. U.S. Pentagon general gave a briefing on that very afternoon on Capitol Hill saying that Chinese conventional ASAT capability was "at least 10 years away."

Underground "Great Wall:" Chinese 5,000 KM strategic nuclear counterstrike capability. I had never heard of this project until photos showed up on Chinese tv of the massive underground (and/or under-mountain) tunnels.

Chinese NMD: China successfully intercepts a ballistic missile during mid-course. China has proven that she is making great strides in building a national ballistic missile defense.

Oh, lest I forget, during the 60th anniversary parade, I think we saw the Chinese Anti-ship ballistic missile (i.e. ASBM) that had been in development for 13 years. The ASBM is designed to destroy large naval ships with a terminal velocity of Mach 10.

And, only recently, the Pentagon was saying that a Chinese stealth fighter would not be deployed until 2025 at the earliest. A few months later, while being interviewed on tv for the 60th anniversary of the PLAAF, a deputy general said that the Chinese stealth fighter will be deployed by 2017-2019.

What I want to know is: What other surprises can we expect from the PLA? Also, when is the CIA and military intelligence going to give us a "heads-up" on the PLA weapons programs?

Personally, I feel there is way too much arrogance in the western world. They feel ONLY they can achieve everything so end up underestimating everyone else!

This is a real hot topic. What is REALLY SURPRISING is how quickly articles are written about this successful test immediately after it occured. And this is all over the world. Which indicates how closely China is followed by the world. There are more news around the world about China (most positive, only a few mis-construed) in EVERY COUNTRY! Contrast this with only 10 years ago and no one paid any attention. Now every peoples are linked to one another.

hi, guys, what will you do if you were the Chinese leader? Do you want to test such an hi-tech strategic weapon at such a sensitive moment? What if the test turns out to be a failure?

So one thing I am quite sure is this time it was NOT a test. Our government already know the result before the "testing", which means this weapon has been already tested again and again. This time our government was not "testing" but "showing" the weapon.

Last edited:
Personally, I feel there is way too much arrogance in the western world. They feel ONLY they can achieve everything so end up underestimating everyone else!

My theory is that after 9/11/2001, most of the U.S. intelligence resources have been focused on the Arab world. By the time that the U.S. finishes its wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, and who knows where else, the New China won't look anything like the old China from 2001. Strangely enough, to me, the New China is starting to militarily resemble the United States.

For your information, the U.S. has a tradition of naming some of her ships after states (i.e. the first sub of the Virginia-class was the "Virginia."). Similarly, China named one of her 052 Aegis-class destroyers after a Chinese city, Shenzhen.

I am starting to believe that many
I don't know how China manages to keep its military secrets in the modern world of spy satellites and communication intercepts.
No, they konw that.
Those are some satpics about China's larg-phased array fire control radar in Xinjiang. They knew China will do that,maybe just dont know when.

One Chinese web user who live in Xinjiang ,he post a thread in a web forum in China half-hour before the Xinhua news. He said he saw a impressive astronomy sight out door. he said the phenomenon occupy half sky.and he represented details of the phenomenon.

2010Äê1ÔÂ11ÈÕ20ʱ×óÓÒµÄÌìÎÄÆæ¹Û£¬ÓÐûÓÐÈËÒ²¿´µ½ÁË£¿_ÌìÑÄÔÓ̸_ÌìÑÄÉçÇø

o, BTW, he lived nearby that large radar.

Oh, China rocks!
I am living in japan, personally i am very scared of my motherland's militory power. I hope before china do something to japan somebody could tell me, and i will pack up and come back to china as soon as posible.:smokin::china:

No matter wherever you live and work, always try to contribute to your mother, China. Even if you have to contribute your life to your mother, do not hesitate.

And also try to convince the Japanese individuals you meet that Chinese are their brothers-in-DNA. May be, they are culturally different. They must embrace each other to survive. China Japan together can easily counter indian threats.

:china: :china: :china:

Oh, China rocks!
I am living in japan, personally i am very scared of my motherland's militory power. I hope before china do something to japan somebody could tell me, and i will pack up and come back to china as soon as posible.:smokin::china:

Brother, why do not you invite some Japanese members to join this forum?

You see there is not a single Japanese member in this forum. If you know Japanese, then please visit some Japanese forums and invite them.

I am 110% sure, after seeing some indian members' remarks with racist overtones, the newly joined Japanese members will be supporting China.

:pakistan: :china:

China is in my blood, and I am China.:china:

Ohh.. brother... we, the people, salute you.
c6837e360ced1951b7a9e23d06b29273.gif

:china: :china: :china:

Brother, why do not you invite some Japanese members to join this forum?

You see there is not a single Japanese member in this forum. If you know Japanese, then please visit some Japanese forums and invite them.

I am 110% sure, after seeing some indian members' remarks with racist overtones, the newly joined Japanese members will be supporting China.

:pakistan: :china:

This could have been avoided.

Back
Top Bottom