What's new

China reveals its cards for investing $20 billion in Pakistan

I don't think Pakistan has much to lose here. These are just power projects. Worst case scenario, the contracts will go to Chinese companies instead of domestic companies, which mind you is not a bad thing . Chinese civil construction companies today are as good as any other in the world, if not better. They have the expertise, they have the experience, they have the man power, something which majority of the Pakistani companies lack or are not big enough to deliver the project on time.

Win win for both countries I reckon. Besides this is how Line of Credit works anyways, I lend you money on one condition that you use that money buy my product and services.

I don't think it is as simple as 'you use that money and buy my products and service' . There is also the question of at what price you are going to buy my products and services.

And I think in the long run, Pakistan is going to loose. But yes, it is win-win because given the security situation in Pakistan I doubt any other player is going to invest that amount of money in Pakistan.

If the Chinese agree to hire the labor force locally then this is a good deal, it is not like Pakistan has options anyway.

I don't think it is as simple as 'you use that money and buy my products and service' . There is also the question of at what price you are going to buy my products and services.

And I think in the long run, Pakistan is going to loose. But yes, it is win-win because given the security situation in Pakistan I doubt any other player is going to invest that amount of money in Pakistan.

Of course this is not ideal, far from it. But given the circumstances its good deal for Pakistan.

Its a cunning trick to loot bleeding economy of pakistan just read the some important lines from the news it says.

this mean they will loot pakistan in name of investment without any competitive international bidding they will quote any price for their low quality stuff and pakistanies will have to obey it and pay from their nose. :angel:

May be a good deal for Pakistan ..........
Don't know for sure. But with limited resources they don't have much choice either.......

If china is willing to invest so much I think

Considering the alternatives, this is a pretty good option.

China wins and Pakistan manages to not lose.

Its a cunning trick to loot bleeding economy of pakistan just read the some important lines from the news it says.

this mean they will loot pakistan in name of investment without any competitive international bidding they will quote any price for their low quality stuff and pakistanies will have to obey it and pay from their nose. :angel:
But is India willing to make a better offer? (joking)

Not happy about this at all but what can u do when ur countries reserves are only 3 billion....
Really? Is it still confusing? The solution is to step up, take responsibility and move forward if not atleast try move of your own.

Guess what. The same statement was said post Independence (Our reserves are zero) and accepted 'Masters not friends' policy and today your ancestors' mistake is screwing your present and future and 'surprise!!!!! ', even after 65 odd years the dialouge is still the same and seems Pakistan is gonna take the same route once again. Is it Good or Bad for you, You decide. You guyz aint become that bigoted still. Changing internal laws for externals is the root mistake any country shud commit. On the contrary it shud be dealing with externals on basis of internal laws and thats what India always did.

Even we guyz said the same dialouge in 1991 and see where we are today only after 20 yrs. Bottomline is, when it comes to India you guyz are ready to get nuked for sake of ur fake ego and bravery. Hope you guyz sustain the same when it comes to fighting for your soverginity. You guyz chicken out when you see urselves in shambles. Infact it shud be here where bravery needs to be shown and not in case of nukes.

This is just one face of the coin not the complete picture to reach on any conclusion.

Its basically kind of Built-Operate-Transfer deals that Chinese are interested in. Pakistan gave similar contract to Chinese in Saindek Project (Gold and Copper). In the end what Pakistan got was really a small fraction of the pie (about 10paisas from 1 rupee).
These are the kind of projects which can be of great interest to any global company and consortium of willing investors could also be formed but... our government and bureaucratic setup is corrupt and lazy.

Problem with Nawaz government is that they are extremely corrupt and always looking after their own personal financial and business interests. During his previous regimes he was extremely gracious towards awarding everything to South Koreans. During his current tenure he is similarly inclined towards Turkish and Chinese firms. Inside story we may never know but eventually in future lots of corruption stories will surfaced.

One benefit of doing grey deals with Chinese is that if one ever caught, the special relation between Pakistan and China force the government to stop investigations then and there in fear of decline in friendly relations. This was the case when Chinese firms supplied third class railway locomotives but our government push the matter under the carpet.

If Pakistan invite international tenders for these projects, it will be the benefit of Pakistan as we will eventually get the best deal. Even Chinese companies can win such open competition.

So Indians, out of no where have become our 'friends', today....ain't that priceless? :D

If our friends, in China are investing up to $40 billion dollars in Pakistan, we ought to make trivial adjustments to make that happen.

It will fix our energy crisis, heal our economy and bring stability....its a win win.

its a bad deal from pakistan's perspective
but a very gud deal from china's perspective

china is asking for big power projects without any bidding.......they must have done their mathematics

Since when do we Pakistanis require our enemies to tell us, whats good and whats not for 'our' nation.?

Good or bad, timely fulfillment of our mega projects WILL boost our GDP growth, create jobs, businesses, infrastructure and will be another mile stone in our alliance with our best ally, China.

Last edited:
What assets Pakistan will be selling? o_O

They are not investing money so there is no buying and selling from any side. They are offering long term loans for these projects but they want full control over the construction work, After completion they will hand it over to PK gov and then will seek timely repayments of money they provided for the projects. Same thing happened with Gawadar Port they built it with their own money and then handed it over to PK gov.

Back
Top Bottom