What's new

Death penalty waived for 8 Indians

IFB

Reaction score
Country
India
A Sharjah court has waived the death sentence awarded to eight Indian youths for the murder of a Pakistani national after a Dubai-based Indian hotelier paid blood money to the family of the victim on their behalf. The murder took place on July 11, 2009 following which 10 men, eight Indians -- all fr
om Pubjab -- and two Pakistanis, were arrested.

The death penalty of two Pakistanis have also been waived off after Dubai-based hotelier SP Singh Oberoi paid blood money.

"Death penalty has been waived off for all the 10 accused, eight Indians and two Pakistanis. They have to serve three years of imprisonment of which they have already completed 21 months. So they will be free in another six months and will be deported directly to their home countries," Oberoi said following the verdict on Sunday.

Several such cases involving Punjabi youths embroiled in bootlegging turf battle have come to light in recent times.

The latest case involved murder of Pakistani national Mumtaz Yousuf, who hailed from Faislabad.

The Indians who were arrested are: Kuldip Singh, Sachin Kumar Sharma, Rakesh Kumar, Sukhpal Singh, Hardev Singh, Charanjeet, Amarjeet Singh and Rashwinder Pal.

Oberoi said that on November 24, 2009 he, alongside the victim's father, appeared in court and registered a compromise statement.

"The honorable Judge accepted our request and on February 1 this year I paid the blood money to Mohd Yousuf in court in the presence of the jury. I submitted the required documents in the court on February 6 following which the case was closed and February 28 was fixed as the judgment date. However, this date was then postponed to March 27 (Sunday) when the verdict was finally delivered," he said.

The Pakistanis who will be released include Mohammed Ansar Chaudhary and Shahid Hussain Ifthreen Rana from Multan Burewal.

Oberoi said that there are several such cases pending and involves over 60 young men from Punjab.

This case is, however, different from the case involving 17 Indians who were convicted of murder and have filed an appeal.

Death penalty waived for 8 Indians - Hindustan Times

strange judicial system but does anyone find it strange that their cops pick up such large number of men and accuse them all of commiting murder on one single individual? I mean who hires 9 people to kill one person ?

How much BLOOD MONEY was paid.

strange judicial system but does anyone find it strange that their cops pick up such large number of men and accuse them all of commiting murder on one single individual? I mean who hires 9 people to kill one person ?

yeah so if i kill someone and pay money i will be let off? why surprised at gangs killing people? it happens everywhere .

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

How much BLOOD MONEY was paid.

Dont know.

^^^ this makes no sense in the way the people where charged. I'm not saying a murder did not take place, i'm saying though that this looks like a whole bunch of innocent folks got pulled in. what was the other case in the article? 17 Indians charged on one murder?

it looks like their cops round up as many and hope one of them is the real murderer...

The number of people getting charged does raise some suspicion but who knows.

About the other case you were asking read this :

17 Indians sentenced to death for killing a Pakistani
Press Trust Of India
Dubai, March 29, 2010
First Published: 12:37 IST(29/3/2010)
Last Updated: 14:45 IST(29/3/2010)
Share more...
Comments Tweet
Email print
Seventeen Indians have been sentenced to death by Sharjah's Shariah Court for killing a Pakistani man and injuring three others in a vicious attack last year. Judge Yousuf Al Hamadi sentenced the 17 men to death after all evidence, including DNA tests, showed they had knifed the Pakistani to death,
related stories

* Govt instructs mission in UAE to help Indians file appeal
* Will help Indians on death row in UAE if they appeal: Krishna
* Families of 17 Indians seek Govt help
* Death sentence to 17 Indians is subject to appeal: UAE
* 17 Indians death row case: Witness fails to identify suspects

Khaleej Times reported on Monday.

The victim had died of his wounds after he was stabbed repeatedly on various parts of his body and had also suffered brain damage, police said.

The attack in January last year followed a fight over the control of the illegal liquor business in Al Sajaa area of Sharjah, one of the emirates of UAE, the paper said.

The police had said the suspects had attempted to kill three other compatriots of the victim, but they managed to escape and were rushed to Kuwaiti Hospital for treatment.

The convicted men are aged between 17 and 30 years. According to the three Pakistanis who survived, 50 people set upon them with knives on that fateful day last year.

Police had rushed to the area and arrested the 17, who had allegedly led the attack. The others were let off due to lack of evidence.

During court hearings, all the suspects confessed they had fought with and murdered the victim. Forensics reports and DNA tests also proved their role in the crime.

17 Indians sentenced to death for killing a Pakistani - Hindustan Times

Back
Top Bottom