What's new

Deoband fatwa: It's illegal for women to work, support family

It has nothing to do with India specifically.

Muslims do not treat women right. According to the Global Gender Gap (GGG) report, the planet's ten-worst offenders are: Yemen, Chad, Pakistan, Nepal, Saudi Arabia, Benin, Morocco, Turkey, Egypt and Oman. Of the ten, nine are Muslim-majority states. At the other end of the spectrum, the planet's best countries for women to live in are: Sweden, Norway, Finland, Ireland, New Zealand, Philippines, Germany, Denmark, Ireland and Spain. Not even one of the top-ten is a Muslim-majority state.

By Dr Farrukh Saleem
THE NEWS
Sunday January 14, 2007

" Azra Jabeen "

Kia aurat 'naqisul aqal' hoti hai? (Are women mentally deficient?) Azra Jabeen is for real, and so is her story. Born in Bangalore to Muslim parents living in a Hindu-majority dirty mohalla. In the midst of India's Silicon Valley, Azra's father, a small shopkeeper, brings home a paltry five thousand rupees a month but insists that raising half a dozen children would make him a better Muslim. Azra, third in line with five siblings, grew up always being told "aurat naqisul aqal hoti hai" (women are mentally deficient).

Munira, Azra's much brighter older sister, was married off at the age of 16. Azra was sent to school just because all the Hindu girls her age in the neighbourhood went to school. Abdul Bari High School, run by Maulvi Abdul Bari, charged Rs15 a month. Between the school and Azra's house was a library. Azra's mother and her grandmother thought books were a waste but Azra somehow developed a secret love affair with books. "I was 10 when I read 'Zorba the Greek' and the novel more than anything transformed my life," recalls Azra. After school, Azra memorised half of the Holy Quran.

Azra, severely asthmatic, wearing thick glasses, was never good marriage material. Marriage proposals came but from families that were even worse off than Azra's. "Sending Muslim girls to college was like giving up your daughter to prostitution," remembers Azra. Good luck and bad asthma kept Azra from getting married while thick glasses got her through college. "All through college years my entire wardrobe contained two sets of cotton shalwar-kameez and a single three-meter duppata," remembers Azra.

After a B.A. in Economics, Azra somehow made a good impression on an old Brahmin gentleman who gave Azra a job at the British Airways office. Azra wanted more. The old Brahmin made British Airways reimburse Azra for GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) and TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) fees. In GMAT, Azra came in the top two percentile.

Santa Clara University, a Jesuit-affiliated university, in California not only accepted her for admission but gave her a tuition scholarship as well. The State Bank of India loaned her enough to buy a ticket plus $200. She had $200 in her purse and parents who refused to see her face. Once in California, an MBA plus a nine-month internship, Compaq became her first real employer. Azra is now the G & A Controller at Symantec Corporation, a $20 billion, California-based, Nasdaq-100 company. At Symantec, Azra now manages a $2 billion budget, five managers report to her and she reports directly to a VP (hoping to be a VP in two years). Her colleagues at Symantec look at her as a rising eastern star.

Azra found her life partner over the Internet; a scientist with a Ph.D. from Bowling Green State University. He is Shia, she is Sunni. She is religious, he is not. So far, she has had multiple miscarriages (perhaps, because of the medications she has been taking for her asthma). It's her husband who keeps on trying to "undo three decades of self doubts and indoctrinated inadequacies".

Azra now wears thousand-dollar Channel suits and tells me that she feels guilty walking into her wardrobe. Last week, she told me: "When I look at Munira I look at lost opportunities. She was much smarter than I ever was. When I look at my house in California and my bank accounts I wonder if it's a dream. Sometimes I pinch myself to see if it's all real." Two others issues that continue to agitate Azra's mind are: One, "I always wondered why on aqeeqa one goat was sacrificed for a girl and two for a boy". Two, "why my testimony was less than my brothers".

Azra is working on computerising Abdul Bari High School. Her dream is to save up some $5 million and then return to India, become a full-time social activist and "work on my fellow Muslim women, disconnect them from their chains".

Unfortunately, this year Muslim parents around the globe will give birth to some 20 million Azras and then tell them that "aurat naqisul aqal hoti hai". Is this why our Muslim Ummah is unable to compete with non-Muslim societies? Is this why we are failing in each and every aspect of human endeavour?

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

The poison may be produced in India, but it was spread in our schools by our government using Saudi money.

It's obvious that these lunatics churn out their nonsense fatwas like clockwork, but reasonable people ignore them. It is our fault that we give attention to this poison.

It has been introduced in India artificially. Its not native to our land.

Why do you try to pollute every thread with your standard rant about Muslim conquest of India?

Why are you blaming India rather than the attitudes of a section of one community that are also common across the Muslim world?

Check this:

Muslims do not treat women right. According to the Global Gender Gap (GGG) report, the planet's ten-worst offenders are: Yemen, Chad, Pakistan, Nepal, Saudi Arabia, Benin, Morocco, Turkey, Egypt and Oman. Of the ten, nine are Muslim-majority states. At the other end of the spectrum, the planet's best countries for women to live in are: Sweden, Norway, Finland, Ireland, New Zealand, Philippines, Germany, Denmark, Ireland and Spain. Not even one of the top-ten is a Muslim-majority state.

We are talking of right now right here.

India's Dar Uloom Deoband is equivalent to the Wahabi monarchy in Saudi Arabia... they do not want the betterment of the general Muslims, they just want to remain in power. Dar Uloom Deoband has got plenty of calls from Hindu parties over a period of time of getting shut down, and their recent change of hearts aka bootlicking to their masters comes from the threat they face to their existence.

Why are you blaming India rather than the attitudes of a section of one community that are also common across the Muslim world?

Check this:

Don't talk about other religions right now, we are discussing Dar Uloom Deoband specifically. Dar Uloom Deoband India is a reality that you can't change. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please don't derail the thread. Thank you.

I am not blaming 'India'.
I am blaming the mullahs who issue these idiotic fatwas and the people who follow them.

Nobody can deny that Muslim societies are amongst the most misogynistic today. The link I posted was intended to show that this behavior is not condoned by Islam and that the Muslims have been misled by opportunistic patriarchs.

Don't talk about other religions right now, we are discussing Dar Uloom Deoband specifically. Dar Uloom Deoband India is a reality that you can't change. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please don't derail the thread. Thank you.

I never did that!

I just said that they are doing something that is prevalent in much of the Muslim world. Developero tried to unnecessarily bring in other religions.

The concept of women being "Naqisul aqal", "deficient in intellect and religion" is not new to you guys.

I'm surprised frankly at how Indians deny the role India has played in the rise of extremism and extremist groups in the whole region (Read Post # 109 onwards).

I am not blaming 'India'.
I am blaming the mullahs who issue these idiotic fatwas and the people who follow them.

OK. Bilal did it then. The answer remains the same and is factual.

Nobody can deny that Muslim societies are amongst the most misogynistic today. The link I posted was intended to show that this behavior is not condoned by Islam and that the Muslims have been misled by opportunistic patriarchs.

I don't really want to get theological here. Let's keep to the real events.

People can argue both ways about the theological part and it doesn't serve the purpose as we are not discussing theology itself. At least not so far.

we always blame the mullahs and the SO CALLED SCHOLARS, but if we dont buy what they say, they will be individuals with no effect. Since they have the huge number of listeners, their word will have an effect on the society. So we need to blame ourselves as well for listening to them.

OK. Bilal did it then. The answer remains the same and is factual.

Please don't give incorrect statements. I've never blamed the Indian state, I've blamed Dar Uloom Deoband India. Completely different things.

I'm surprised frankly at how Indians deny the role India has played in the rise of extremism and extremist groups in the whole region (Read Post # 109 onwards).

Show me one global or even regional terrorist group from India.

OTOH, you have it in plenty. Indian Muslims have largely remained neutral to the attractions of global Islamic terror groups that have found fertile soil in your country and almost all large Muslim population countries.

we always blame the mullahs and the SO CALLED SCHOLARS, but if we dont buy what they say, they will be individuals with no effect. Since they have the huge number of listeners, their word will have an effect on the society. So we need to blame ourselves as well for listening to them.

People who are perceived as 'knowledgeable' have a responsibility to be mindful of what they say or write.

If you or I suggest some business regulation, nobody will pay attention. If an economics professor at Wharton or LSE says something, people will take it more seriously.

Please don't give incorrect statements. I've never blamed the Indian state, I've blamed Dar Uloom Deoband India. Completely different things.

You tried to implicate India rather than just the institute.

It's funny that people like EjazR constantly blame all their problems on Pakistan, when quite frankly; the root cause and main source of all the extremism seen in the region lies in India.

Back
Top Bottom