What's new

Doctor's mindset

Well I do agree it is a universal prob in every field...but docs directly deal with life at hand...thus, curiosity should be instilled in them...curiosity to understand, to learn and want to know more...PLUS they need to give time to their patient and not just start writing essays without hearing the full story..that is my only stand...
yep. agreed

be on time :pissed: I am very timely man :sniper: and no being rude has no excuse. If you don't like your job or so much stress, then don't do it. Stop going after money:angry:. FYI I had one of Bangladesh's famous doctor relative with great work ethics. So I know what can you do and what you can't.
an hour before the office opens for you xD
yes ofc people needs to be passionate about their work... and people who go into it for money are going into it for the wrong reason... there are many easier ways to earn money. but from stories that i heard of doctors being rude... when i've heard both sides.. i blamed both sides and sympathised a bit with the doc. people should learn to respect doctors... i think this is a problem in south asia... and doctors by default should respect patients as humans...

an hour before the office opens for you xD
692491caa3510abb5a03f2fffbfdaab7.gif

It's not that physicians don't value other's time.

It's alot of things that keep patients waiting.

It also depends on the setting. i.e. outpatient, inpatient, or OR.

I'm sure its like that in other countries as well, but in the US there are ALOT of demands placed on doctors.

Things that the public does not see.

• Doctors don’t have an open mind. Their refrain is, “We are professionals. We know better.” They forget that laymen patients can reveal something because they are the ones experiencing the symptoms.

No, I think it is better to let the doctors the diagnosis disease. The patients will most probably make mistake as little learning is a dangerous thing in the context of diagnosis.

Plus, many disease have similar symptoms, like there are 60 reasons for chest pain, so most probability you will think that you have heart disease when your chest pains. Thus need specialization in "Differential Diagnosis" by experts only.

• I think it is because medicos aren’t trained to deal with certain situations. When they were studying medical, they weren’t instructed on what to do if they come across anything unique/strange/unfamiliar. They see everything through the prism of known diseases. The culture of out-of-the-box thinking is not there. They simply dismiss the patient by citing some universal condition. I suspect that doctors suffer from ‘frog in the well’ syndrome. Just as frogs cannot imagine a world beyond it’s well, doctors are discouraged from thinking anything outside the realm of documented diseases.

No problem actually. As medical science is old and modern enough, the doctors can firstly think on the basis of what they know already first. Then if that does not work, then they can think out of the box. If you start thinking out of the box from the beginning, then you may miss the most simple and common things needed to diagnosis disease.

There are some ‘universal diseases’ which doctors use to wash their hands off patients. The symptoms of these universal diseases are present in everyone to some degree. So it is hard to argue with doctors. For instance, if anyone is unemployed and poor or suffers from cancer, obviously he would be worried and/or sad and obsessed about his problems. Would it be proper for medical professionals to declare it as anxiety or depression or OCD? The sufferer’s problem would be unemployment and poverty or cancer NOT anxiety/depression/OCD. One doctor actually uttered this line, “Looking at the TONE of your description, it seems it is anxiety/depression/OCD.”

You should not argue with the doctors without evidence and little knowledge of medical science. If you suspect the doctor is wrong, you can verify a point by multiple other doctors first and then may be you can argue with that doctor.

Hm, I think then he is not a good doctor if he thinks a cancer patients as a patient of anxiety or depression. As far I know, doctors ask about background and job and living conditions to consider all possibilities to diagnosis disease. The types of doctors you are talking about are not good doctor. The good doctors will consider about cancer tests if a patient claim and then the test results will say.

When you demand explanation for the symptoms not matching with diagnosed disease, doctors have endless number of excuses to brush aside the question. For example if the patient asks the doctor to check in his textbooks whether the exhibited symptoms and the symptoms of the diagnosed disease are same, the doctor replies, “Yes, in advanced stages of the disease, these symptoms appear,” although it is not true. It seems when doctors do MBBS, they are trained to churn out excuses. Some doctors even ridicule the demand for diagnosis i.e. leave alone correctness of the diagnosis, it would be big thing if they just reveal the diagnosis.

Hm they are not good doctor. But remember that "Differential Diagnosis" is a hard task and need years of experience, so cant blame the young doctors, but they need to be ready to admit that they can be wrong of course.

1. Once when I began to complain about memory damage, pat came the doctor’s reply, “Everybody’s caliber is not the same.”
Explanation: Memory damage can happen to Einstein-Newton as well as to a retard. Where does the question of caliber come in this?

hm...very bad @that doctor.

2. When I complain of doctors not reading the description of symptoms properly, I was actually told that it is because they don’t have time.
Explanation: My description takes barely 15 minutes to read. If doctors can’t spare 15 minutes to know symptoms, why are they in the profession of psychiatry then? It is their duty to spend time in properly reading the description.

Need to develop artificial doctors now. Then those arrogant doctors will be jobless and cry.

Another grouse I have about medical fraternity is their blind support for doctors. They don’t see the merits of the case. They support other doctors just because they are doctors.

Hm. they can support the doctors just because they are doctors, but they also should review what others are saying with proper attention.

so i reckoned diabetes messes with the blood vessels (atherosclerosis) and kidney causing hypertension... that could cause heart walls to overwork themselves and cause atrophy and eventual MI so i just blabber my half arsed answer and i see a confused look from my teacher and the students
but as we discuss more about what i said, she realizes that atherosclerosis would cause hypertension (my guess was right) which would cause pathology in the heart
so yea... i had no knowledge about it... but a simple thought process from the previous answers helped my answer my question

It is a known matter. But I am surprised that you thought about that based on guess which is correct! You must be good at guessing.

some food for taught .
today from 8am to 2pm in clinic I saw 70 patients . well that's roughly 5min 10sec per patients if the patient are divided evenly in all hours but no the load of the patients come after 10 .
I wonder how you think I must divide the time , what at clinic we must do ? send the patient away and tell them come another day that the load is lighter ? I wonder what is your answers . does in this 6 hours I'm entitled to some rest .
what your answer is if you knew last night I was also at clinic from covered the 7pm-8am shift . and I could only rest my eyes for less than 2 hours .and I had to manage a ruptured kidney patients (that gave me no history of trauma only sudden pain in flank after sex that was worsening) and to top it up for 4 hour I could not receive any radiologic help as it seems because of new year holidays there were not enough radiologist in Tehran to cover even one single shift after 3 in the morning.

here people are very ready to condemn the Doctors but be honest with yourself how many of you asked yourselves what is the situation that they are working ? have you ever wondered how many times you went to a doctor and tried to hide a fact from him ? how many time you went and tried to fake symptoms to get more drugs or get a justify your absence from work ? or how many time when the disease was easily manageable you did not go to a medical center and after it become complicated they take you there ? how many time for a simple disease you went to a medical center at 3 in the morning because you were coming back from a party at that time and saw the medical center .how many times you guys didn't completed the prescription and then said the prescription was not good and the doctor knew nothing

you see every action have a reaction equal and in opposite direction . don't you think all these make doctors tired and weary .you see you guys many times heard of Doctors life but how many of you knew the percentage of doctors who has that famous life.
have you ever taught about the pressure responsibilities of making a diagnosis

No, I think it is better to let the doctors the diagnosis disease. The patients will most probably make mistake as little learning is a dangerous thing in the context of diagnosis.

Plus, many disease have similar symptoms, like there are 60 reasons for chest pain, so most probability you will think that you have heart disease when your chest pains. Thus need specialization in "Differential Diagnosis" by experts only.

No problem actually. As medical science is old and modern enough, the doctors can firstly think on the basis of what they know already first. Then if that does not work, then they can think out of the box. If you start thinking out of the box from the beginning, then you may miss the most simple and common things needed to diagnosis disease.

You should not argue with the doctors without evidence and little knowledge of medical science. If you suspect the doctor is wrong, you can verify a point by multiple other doctors first and then may be you can argue with that doctor.

Hm, I think then he is not a good doctor if he thinks a cancer patients as a patient of anxiety or depression. As far I know, doctors ask about background and job and living conditions to consider all possibilities to diagnosis disease. The types of doctors you are talking about are not good doctor. The good doctors will consider about cancer tests if a patient claim and then the test results will say.

Hm they are not good doctor. But remember that "Differential Diagnosis" is a hard task and need years of experience, so cant blame the young doctors, but they need to be ready to admit that they can be wrong of course.

hm...very bad @that doctor.

Need to develop artificial doctors now. Then those arrogant doctors will be jobless and cry.

Hm. they can support the doctors just because they are doctors, but they also should review what others are saying with proper attention.

It is a known matter. But I am surprised that you thought about that based on guess which is correct! You must be good at guessing.
well the mechanisms... how the infiltration happens in the lumens etc... i had to narrate in detail... wrote it here in short and simple words for people to understand
how many people could say or grasp what left ventricular failure due to atrophy and fancy panzy medical words outside medicine field

some food for taught .
today from 8am to 2pm in clinic I saw 70 patients . well that's roughly 5min 10sec per patients if the patient are divided evenly in all hours but no the load of the patients come after 10 .
I wonder how you think I must divide the time , what at clinic we must do ? send the patient away and tell them come another day that the load is lighter ? I wonder what is your answers . does in this 6 hours I'm entitled to some rest .
what your answer is if you knew last night I was also at clinic from covered the 7pm-8am shift . and I could only rest my eyes for less than 2 hours .and I had to manage a ruptured kidney patients (that gave me no history of trauma only sudden pain in flank after sex that was worsening) and to top it up for 4 hour I could not receive any radiologic help as it seems because of new year holidays there were not enough radiologist in Tehran to cover even one single shift after 3 in the morning.

here people are very ready to condemn the Doctors but be honest with yourself how many of you asked yourselves what is the situation that they are working ? have you ever wondered how many times you went to a doctor and tried to hide a fact from him ? how many time you went and tried to fake symptoms to get more drugs or get a justify your absence from work ? or how many time when the disease was easily manageable you did not go to a medical center and after it become complicated they take you there ? how many time for a simple disease you went to a medical center at 3 in the morning because you were coming back from a party at that time and saw the medical center .how many times you guys didn't completed the prescription and then said the prescription was not good and the doctor knew nothing

you see every action have a reaction equal and in opposite direction . don't you think all these make doctors tired and weary .you see you guys many times heard of Doctors life but how many of you knew the percentage of doctors who has that famous life.
have you ever taught about the pressure responsibilities of making a diagnosis
hey man, feel your pain... only close family members/ friends could grasp what doctors go through mentally. for some it's just exhausting.... there are certain things i've come to love about medicine but the grind is real and not for everyone. i'm planning on alternative career at the same time if in case i'm not able to balance my personal/ work life

well the mechanisms... how the infiltration happens in the lumens etc... i had to narrate in detail... wrote it here in short and simple words for people to understand
how many people could say or grasp what left ventricular failure due to atrophy and fancy panzy medical words outside medicine field

hey man, feel your pain... only close family members/ friends could grasp what doctors go through mentally. for some it's just exhausting.... there are certain things i've come to love about medicine but the grind is real and not for everyone. i'm planning on alternative career at the same time if in case i'm not able to balance my personal/ work life

Where do you plan on practicing when you are done?

If you wanna come to the US let me know.

Also, again the general public has no idea what doctors have to go through both to get the degree and also in day to day practice.

It looks easy from the outside.

The reality is much different.

Very simple solution , there is a system of treatment which says ,, TREAT THE PATIENT NOT THE DISEASE,, and that system have answers to all your questions,, and it's called Homeopathy, and I can guarantee you that it's true coz I am a homeopath,, @abcxyz0000
people are fed to believe that Homeopathy is quackery or a Placebo therapy. But, homeo is thriving in India. Commoners believes it. BTW, I see many homeopaths using Vithoulkas or other homeo software, instead of doing the prognosis on their own.

its same since my age was 8-9 i was sick it was last time i was sick . then after few years i have pain in throat we went doc they said kid need surgery for remove tonsils . we did it and this was last time i remember i was in hospital at age 14 . then next 20 years i enjoyed a long life without any fever sickness cough or anythign else . i have never used antibiotics in my whole damn life . but now i think i need one . 2 years ago i have cough i used a syrup and it was fine . last year again i have cough for a week and then again i used same syrup i was fine . this year its struck here man . i smoke while drinking sometime sometime not i drink alcohol since last 15-16 years . some time daily sometime i leave it for months . some time monthly its not a habbit . i just enjoy . but it seems i am getting old at age 35 .

it "seems" due to chronic Heartburn you have developed persistent cough. You should consult a pulmonalogist

So much wisdom in your writings
Yet u folks fall prey to Indian Media???
:o::o::o:

:rofl::rofl:

When they are students in medical college, it is drilled into future doctor’s head, “Don’t listen to patients.”

It 180 deg opposite, they are drilled to listen. For 3 years of medical education out of 5 the only emphasis is history taking

Well I do agree it is a universal prob in every field...but docs directly deal with life at hand...thus, curiosity should be instilled in them...curiosity to understand, to learn and want to know more...PLUS they need to give time to their patient and not just start writing essays without hearing the full story..that is my only stand...

As a poster has already said Gov. Hospital OPDs see hundreds of patients a day, which gives few mins to each patient hence the attitude of doctors.but if they suspect something out of usual believe me time is given seniors are consulted .

people are fed to believe that Homeopathy is quackery or a Placebo therapy. But, homeo is thriving in India. Commoners believes it. BTW, I see many homeopaths using Vithoulkas or other homeo software, instead of doing the prognosis on their own.
People's who use software are often non competent or either in hurry, Vithoulkas is a living legend he himself believe in single remedy, India have done remarkable advances in homeopathy I wish I can go there to enhance my capabilities but unfortunately there is always tension between us,

Where do you plan on practicing when you are done?

If you wanna come to the US let me know.

Also, again the general public has no idea what doctors have to go through both to get the degree and also in day to day practice.

It looks easy from the outside.

The reality is much different.
once i'm done i want to go back to kuwait and practice there. that's my home, i feel like a foreigner in every other country

i think i'll be writing IFOM/ USMLE step 1 this year... heard bad things about it (it's difficult) and i fear i won't pass so maybe US is out of the question... let's see

once i'm done i want to go back to kuwait and practice there. that's my home, i feel like a foreigner in every other country

i think i'll be writing IFOM/ USMLE step 1 this year... heard bad things about it (it's difficult) and i fear i won't pass so maybe US is out of the question... let's see

Get First Aid for USMLE Step 1.

And memorize BRS Path and Physio.

That should help.

Also do a lot of practice questions.

I took Step 1 many years ago so things may be different now.

If you ever need anything let me know.

Get First Aid for USMLE Step 1.

And memorize BRS Path and Physio.

That should help.

Also do a lot of practice questions.

I took Step 1 many years ago so things may be different now.

If you ever need anything let me know.
woah i didn't know you're a doctor
alright, i'll ask you if i need anything thanks man :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom