What's new

DUAL CITIZENSHIP?

Should Pakistan abolish dual citizenship law?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can see that your heart is in the right place, but please remember this old saying, whcih applies equally to people as well as nations:

"If you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of your arm!"

Why do people immigrate?

Last edited:
Not a bad idea but I do have a few questions for the OP:-

1) What do you think is the problem of Pakistan, lack of resources and productivity or extensive corruption? For if it is the second one this money is not going to fund anything but Zardari's palaces abroad or Ganja's industrial estates world wide.

2) Based on your own calculations how much would it add to the neational exchequer, a few million dollars? For a country with a GDP of 166 billion dollars what percentage would that contribute, which again leads us to the first question.

3) All across the world in developed countries and even in corporates when the economy goes bad or a company is not doing well or not meeting its targets, what do they do? Cut back expenses. The comparison is always between earnings(production) and spendings. If the earnings go down the company scales itself down, In Pak its just the other way around, rather than cutting down expenses they would tax further, and this is nothing more than another form of taxation.
4) How about starting at home, how about our leaders rather than lobbying and legislating for increase in their benefits start paying taxes or for that matter just invest their corruption money within Pakistan, that alone would be a significant development in the positive direction.
5) Last but not least many such taxes are already in place, if you want to buy Non resident card or get a visa as somebody has already mentioned $400 per visa. Any more of such taxes would do nothing but just create a bigger piggy bank for jiyalay and matwalay to plunder.

So I am not in favor of any such thing. What I would vote for is to change the environment of the country and make it more conducive to foreign investment which would amount to billions and not millions.

Don't i have children, don't they go to school, are your ex-pat children deserving of any more security then my children get? Are you deserving of any more security then my family gets?

Hi,

Your children have a right to be protected---absolutely---but when me and my children are targetted intentionally for kidnap and ransom because I am an ex-pat and seemingly I have dollars and that makes me an easy target----while taking the long drive from the airport late at night to my house---then there are issues.

This crime starts with your children being kidnapped first becasue they criminals are looking for an easy target---and when the criminals see that they can get away with it---they go to the next step---and start committing higher value crimes.

Acknowleding the the ex-pats as an asset takes some reckoning---our neighbour India went through that about 10 to 12 years ago---they had the same issues of bickering and hating their ex-pats----they hated the ex-pats for their easy dollars---.

But one day they woke up to acknowledge the real asset that their ex-pats were. When that realization hit home---the ex-pats went into overdrive and brought new ventures home---and the rest is history.

Would pakistan be able to do that at this stage--- i doubt it very much---my pakistani brethren are at times petty thinkers----they lack vision---for a better and prosperous pakistan---.

When pakistanis only vision is he---him and himself---when that is the only reflection he sees in the mirror of his face---talking about a greater pakistan is just a fallacy---it is just a great big lie---it is just like stroking yourself into make belief.

That is your decision sir. However, if you want to visit Pakistan--pay money.

Simple is that.

$50 is not too much. You probably spend that amount on weekly groceries or more.

Maybe, we could minimize the 'brain drain' by this...

Who knows...
Actually it should be the same what America charges us to get a visit visa and its something like $400 as well. Its just how we do tit for tat in the diplomatic world. Pakistan doesn't even give the US visa free entry like the Middle East does. Since we don't get visa free entry, Americans don't get one either.

Even the ME is wising up to this fact and already blocked Canada's visa free entry - US and UK will be next.

Overseas Pakistanis already send in revenues over $11Bn That's huge... You want to encourage that, so that they come to Pakistan on their holidays and spend some more money there.

Seriously who in America has $400 to spare per person while already planning a vacation to Pakistan?

They would rather go to Pakistan and spend that money on a nice hill side resort, spend it on weddings, buy clothes, host dinner parties in restaurants. Thats where you want the revenues to come from.

Once you get the people in Pakistan, and if you have spending opportunities in Pakistan thats where you will get all the benefits.

Why do people immigrate?

Now that is a great question!

There is a multitude of reasons, mainly economic, but also related to intellectual opportunities, personal freedoms, religious persecution, ideological differences, the list goes on.

May be this discussion belongs in a another thread.

Pakistan should allow dual citizenship.

But it can have some restrictions like in the US where person who is not a natural born citizen cannot be the president of the country.

Like wise Pakistan can legislate that the president and the prime minister cannot hold a permanent foreign residence or Citizenship.

If we would have had this law there would have been no Moin Qureshi or Shaukat Aziz.

But it can have some restrictions like in the US where person who is not a natural born citizen cannot be the president of the country.

Like wise Pakistan can legislate that the president and the prime minister cannot hold a permanent foreign residence or Citizenship.

If we would have had this law there would have been no Moin Qureshi or Shaukat Aziz.

Sir,

My question to you is---what difference would it make---pakistanis are already lined up outside the U S ambassadors office to offer their services and loyalty---so what bad can the ex-pats do in that postion that the loyal citizens of pak cannot do themselves.

No, they shouldn't.

My Dad was born in Pakistan, so was my Mum as well as the other elders in my family.

I should be free to choose whatever identity I want. However, having said that a charge on paper work is no problem.

I think its $400 to apply for a Pakistani Visa from America (if you don't have NICOP)

As Truthseeker pointed out, they have worked out that encouraging people to visit Pakistan in the end leads to more investment than charging them for it at entry.

99% of the Pakistanis in the Middle East are still Pakistani passport holders, you can't charge your own citizens to pay while entering into the country.

yes this is very sad we dnt get middle eastern countries passport ::(
what if i had an Emaarati passport

It should be abolished, especially for any public office bearers.

Dual citizenship law should not be abolished

I will select Canadian citizenship in case to select one but love both countries :D

Then why do you keep Pakistani at all if you would rather select Canadian?

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Wouldn't Shaukat Aziz have been allowed to renounce other citizenship to hold office?
I think the same is the case in the military, you have to renounce any non-Pakistani citizenship to join the military.

Should Pakistan abolish dual citizenship law?

No, 'coz then I'll be screwed :lol:

I love Pakistan, & hope I never have to get a visa to travel there, it's still a huge part of me.

Pakistan should allow pakistanis to have dual citizenship however pakistanis should consider it as this is not an option at all.
There is only one land am loyal to and thats PAKISTAN. When you accept other nationality then you accept many other things. I havent got time to confirm it but for UK you have to take an oath of your loyalty to queen. even if these things arent true why would I ever want to be citizen of any other country? Makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom