What's new

Egypt's Morsi assumes sweeping powers, branded new pharoah

agentny17

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
CAIRO — Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi assumed sweeping powers on Thursday, prompting prominent opposition figure Mohamed ElBaradei to accuse him of usurping authority and becoming a "new pharoah".
"The president can issue any decision or measure to protect the revolution," according to a decree read out on television by presidential spokesman Yasser Ali.
"The constitutional declarations, decisions and laws issued by the president are final and not subject to appeal."
Morsi also sacked prosecutor general Abdel Meguid Mahmud, whom he failed to oust last month, appointing Talaat Ibrahim Abdallah to replace him.
That set him on another collision course with the country's judiciary after he last month promised to bring back to court ex-regime officials acquitted of organising an attack on protesters during last year's uprising against ousted leader Hosni Mubarak.
The president in his pronouncements on Thursday ordered "new investigations and retrials" in the cases dealing with the deaths of protesters, a decision that could net senior military officials.
He also said no judicial body can dissolve the the upper house of parliament or the Islamist-dominated constituent assembly that is writing a new constitution and which has been criticised by the secular-minded opposition for failing to represent all segments of society.
He has also given the body -- which was due to issue a draft consitution in December -- two extra months to come up with a charter, that will then be put to a referendum.
The declaration is aimed at "cleansing state institutions" and "destroying the infrastructure of the old regime."
Nobel laureate and former UN atomic energy agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei lashed out at the declaration, which effectively puts the president above judicial oversight.
"Morsi today usurped all state powers and appointed himself Egypt's new pharaoh. A major blow to the revolution that could have dire consequences," ElBaradei wrote on his Twitter account.
Even before the announcement was read out, Islamists had gathered outside the High Court in central Cairo demanding the "cleansing of the judiciary."
Morsi, who belongs to the powerful Muslim Brotherhood, is the first elected president after the popular uprising that toppled Mubarak last year.

AFP: Egypt's Morsi assumes sweeping powers, branded new pharoah

this will not end well for him we shall see soon
My only concern is drafting a constitution that respects human rights, and that will not be the case now as it seems. I don't blame the Islamist, i blame Liberals and Lefties for not working together. We"seculars" are the reason Islamists have all this power, and if we don't change that fast, we might be in this hole for a while.

My only concern is drafting a constitution that respects human rights, and that will not be the case now as it seems. I don't blame the Islamist, i blame Liberals and Lefties for not working together. We"seculars" are the reason Islamists have all this power, and if we don't change that fast, we might be in this hole for a while.

What is the most important issue for you that must be resolved first and foremost, from what I have read on this forum I thought it was the economy but if you guys do not even have a constitution yet, that is an alarming realization. :blink:

Except you guys can just vote him out.
I don't care who is in power, since Egypt's problems will take decades to be solved. My only concern is that the new constitution would not respect human rights, and that is a big issue for me. I don't see Egypt moving forward at all with the constitution that is about to be drafted. Human rights and secularism are a necessity not a luxury for a country like Egypt where people are naturally conservative, whether Christians, Muslims, or non religious.

they are united now this act has done that and more this act will make morsi lose everything

At least Mubarik was not bombing his civilians, and stability resulted in enormous economic and industrial growth, despite him being a dictator.

I always had my doubts on engineered springs.

What is the most important issue for you that must be resolved first and foremost, from what I have read on this forum I thought it was the economy but if you guys do not even have a constitution yet, that is an alarming realization. :blink:
Drafting a constitution is and has been the real issue in Egypt, since Mubarak stepped down. Everything else is secondary. Islamist want a constitution based on Sharia law which no body really knows its rules since it is different from one person to another and from one Islamic school to another, While Secular want a constitution that based on respecting human rights and based only on the principles of Sharia laws which is basically the universal human rights laws like justice, ect..

they are united now this act has done that and more this act will make morsi lose everything
We will see...

At least Mubarik was not bombing his civilians, and stability resulted in enormous economic and industrial growth, despite him being a dictator.

I always had my doubts on engineered springs.
Mubarak is the reason half of Egyptians can not read or write, which is the main reason the Islamist gets a lot of votes in the elections. Egypt's education system which was one of the best in the world in the 50's, 60's has been destroyed under Mubarak's.

Back
Top Bottom