What's new

Egypt's Morsi assumes sweeping powers, branded new pharoah

Just sick of it. Anything happens, they go to Tahrir square and paralyse the already paralysed economy! If Bangladesh Pakistan India start to follow Egyptians, then everyday would become a Tahrir Square day! Welcome to democracy of developing nations... If you expect an USA styled democracy, then i am sorry to say you are in fool's paradise! Here, democracy means Autocracy for 5 years! You have voted him to power, now wait to vote him out!! Why would people invest in egypt, when they weekly go to ' burn and destroy' campaign??

CAIRO — Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi assumed sweeping powers on Thursday, prompting prominent opposition figure Mohamed ElBaradei to accuse him of usurping authority and becoming a "new pharoah".
"The president can issue any decision or measure to protect the revolution," according to a decree read out on television by presidential spokesman Yasser Ali.
"The constitutional declarations, decisions and laws issued by the president are final and not subject to appeal."
Morsi also sacked prosecutor general Abdel Meguid Mahmud, whom he failed to oust last month, appointing Talaat Ibrahim Abdallah to replace him.
That set him on another collision course with the country's judiciary after he last month promised to bring back to court ex-regime officials acquitted of organising an attack on protesters during last year's uprising against ousted leader Hosni Mubarak.
The president in his pronouncements on Thursday ordered "new investigations and retrials" in the cases dealing with the deaths of protesters, a decision that could net senior military officials.
He also said no judicial body can dissolve the the upper house of parliament or the Islamist-dominated constituent assembly that is writing a new constitution and which has been criticised by the secular-minded opposition for failing to represent all segments of society.
He has also given the body -- which was due to issue a draft consitution in December -- two extra months to come up with a charter, that will then be put to a referendum.
The declaration is aimed at "cleansing state institutions" and "destroying the infrastructure of the old regime."
Nobel laureate and former UN atomic energy agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei lashed out at the declaration, which effectively puts the president above judicial oversight.
"Morsi today usurped all state powers and appointed himself Egypt's new pharaoh. A major blow to the revolution that could have dire consequences," ElBaradei wrote on his Twitter account.
Even before the announcement was read out, Islamists had gathered outside the High Court in central Cairo demanding the "cleansing of the judiciary."
Morsi, who belongs to the powerful Muslim Brotherhood, is the first elected president after the popular uprising that toppled Mubarak last year.

AFP: Egypt's Morsi assumes sweeping powers, branded new pharoah

how does he get these powers and who grants him? I mean in Aussie system parliament and constitution have set limits to executive powers and u can not go beyond that. What happens in Egypt?

Morsi has more powers now than your Sheikh, how do you consider this the right move ?!!.. Islamist got 58% of popular votes in the Parliamentary elections and got 30 something percent combined in the first round of the presidential elections. Even when an Islamist ran against in the second round of the presidential election, he barley got 50%. Stop with saying that Islamists are the majority in Egypt, they are NOT and will never be. Also, Sharia law(Corporal punishment) will never be implemented in Egypt, because it is disgusting, inhumane and cruel!!

Because judges and army men are still chosen by Mubarak. Where as Morsi elected by people. Until they are re-chosen or fired, there wont be any constitution in egypt. Morsis moves are 100% correct. He is clever. Also these powers he wont keep permenent.
These judges could not even punish Mubarak, what else you expect from them?

Just sick of it. Anything happens, they go to Tahrir square and paralyse the already paralysed economy! If Bangladesh Pakistan India start to follow Egyptians, then everyday would become a Tahrir Square day! Welcome to democracy of developing nations... If you expect an USA styled democracy, then i am sorry to say you are in fool's paradise! Here, democracy means Autocracy for 5 years! You have voted him to power, now wait to vote him out!! Why would people invest in egypt, when they weekly go to ' burn and destroy' campaign??

Correct. Majority voted them, minority must listen and respect the chosen one. For each and every thing if they are going to Tahrir square, then dictatorship is the only way to control.

I think Indian politicians are really great. With democrary they are able to manage 120 crore people. each of them have different views.

It's a right move and need of the time to save Egyptian revolution from being hijacked or destroyed by the moles and feluls of old regimes. Morsi must cleanse the government institutions of these feluls or regime remnants with iron fist to raise the flag of Islam and Egypt on world horion. H must first take care of the regime agents in judiciary who are well entrenched by the 30 year dictator rule. Salute to Morsi for ousting the bigest agent the prosecutor general. He must go ahead with implementation of Sharia rule in Egypt and keep the faith and trust of majority population who trusted Islamist and voted for them in high percentage of 72 in parliamentary elections. All institutions must be cleansed of old dictatorial regime supporters, whether its judiciary, armed forces, bureaucracy, police or intelligence or any other department.
your opinion doesnt matter you are not egyptian try saying anything like that in your country if you dare

Correct, I have to obey his decisions/Laws.But,
As long as Modi Did not change the constitution not to allow protests i would protest any unjust moves by him in legal way.
Indian institutions are quite entrenched now(> 60 years), I dont think any PM no matter how popular can completely change the power balance between institutions.
Egypt is new, hence for few years, there will be struggle till they find the right balance.
Best of luck Mr morsi and rest of egyptians.

No .

Correct, I have to obey his decisions/Laws.But,
As long as Modi Did not change the constitution not to allow protests i would protest any unjust moves by him in legal way.

That is not what you meant in the case of Egyptians. Anyway.....

One killed, 60 hurt in an attack on Egypt's Brotherhood office
One killed, 60 hurt in an attack on Egypt's Brotherhood office - CNBC

Morsi game backfired... Islamists still don't get it. WE DON't accept anymore oppression or persecution.

This coming Tuesday might turn ugly, which is a good thing in the long run. #Free_Egypt

But most of your countrymen voted for Islamists in the elections .From the last election results , it seems that 65 % of your countrymen want Islamists in power.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom