What's new

Greek UAV/UCAV/Drones Programs

Akritas

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Due to the misinformation that exists regarding the development and purchase UAV and Drones programs on the part of Greece, I am opening this thread, hoping that the whole issue will be sorted out.

I start with the program LOTUS, a next Generation Tactical UAV from INTRACOM DEFENSE for ISR missions and in my opinion is the biggest project as regards the development.

The new European Tactical UAV, specially designed for the effective border surveillance and reconnaissance of threats and high value targets, will be of Hellenic provenance. INTRACOM DEFENSE (IDE) signed with the European Commission, the Grant Agreement for the 9.7 million € funding of the LOTUS – Low Observable Tactical Unmanned System program, approved last July in the framework of EDIDP (European Defense Industrial Development Program).

Lotus program is funding from the European Commision, is not anymore a unique Greek program.
The second major change, is the core of the program, is Intracom Defense and not the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, who originally started it. The consortium of the LOTUS program includes other industrial, scientific and military entities from Greece, Cyprus, Spain and Netherlands.
The project has the duration of 45 months and started at the summer of 2020.

1661161067836.png

The LOTUS (Low Observable Tactical Unmanned System) employs a number of innovative characteristics, such as:
  • Stealth properties, hiding it from enemy forces
  • Stand-off operational capabilities
  • Airworthiness and interoperability based on NATO standards
  • Reliable communications
  • Extensive adoption of Artificial Intelligence
  • Cybersecurity and Expandability to support additional missions
Some of the platform’s advanced features cannot be incorporated in existing designs, providing LOTUS with a strong competitive advantage.

The LOTUS program will be based on prior experience and know-how acquired through the collaboration of IDE with key partners in previous RPAS designs, such as:
  • HCUAV, which has already been flight-tested
  • DELAER, which is expected to perform flights next year.
Greece, in cooperation with the Participating Member States, is presented with a unique opportunity to demonstrate the country’s industrial capability to develop state-of-the-art technologies, and also to coordinate a wide group of participating private and public sector EU partners.

1661161084478.png

The consortium of the LOTUS program is coordinated by IDE and comprises of industrial, scientific and military entities from Greece (IDE, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, ALTUS, CFT, University of Patras and the Hellenic Air Force Telecommunications and Electronics Depot), Cyprus (SignalGenerix, Cyric and Geoimaging), Spain (Embention) and the Netherlands (RHEA Group).

Through its participation in the program, the Hellenic Ministry of Defense (HMoD) will be able to field its respective operational requirements and to achieve its self-sufficiency within a 5-year plan, bypassing the obstacle of non-controlled critical systems. Moreover, HMoD will have the opportunity to acquire a TRPAS, which will fill effectively a confirmed capability gap for the country’s defense.

LOTUS: Next Generation Tactical UAV from INTRACOM DEFENSE for ISR missions – INTRACOM DEFENSE

The HAI Ε1-79 Pegasus was the first Greek indigenous medium-altitude long-endurance Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (MALE - UAV) produced by the Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI/EAB)
The Development on the Pegasus was handled jointly between the Hellenic Air Force Research and Development Center (KETA) and HAI, and began in 1979 with the maiden flight in prototype form in 1982, It entered service with the Hellenic Air Force as Pegasus in 1992, and as the upgraded version Pegasus II in 2005.
Its main mission is Intelligence Surveillance & Reconnaissance over-battlefield (ISR-OB).

1661161672607.png

The upgraded MALE design named Pegasus II (Block I), was introduced in 2005. It featured advanced electronics, an increased fuselage length of 4.3 meters (14.1 feet), increased wingspan 6.2 meters (20.34 feet), takeoff load of 250 kg (551 lb) and increased autonomy of 15 hours.
About 16 units initially produced by the State Aircraft Factory (KEA) and HAI between 2005 and 2007,

Pegasus II can carry a maximum payload weight of 50 kg and thanks to the wide use of composite materials for its construction, it represents a substantial improvement from the initial design. Its technical features make it suitable for ISR-OB missions and it is evaluated as an ELINT payload carrier. Expectations for its use as a weapons carrier were limited, as the relatively small payload capacity makes it less suitable for these type of missions.

Attachments

• 1661161562642.png
    1661161562642.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 28
Actually,I wanted the Neuron,but the French don't seem too eager to continue the project.

If the government funded the Pegasus project more,we could have had a bigger and better model by now.

The HAI Ε1-79 Pegasus was the first Greek indigenous medium-altitude long-endurance Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (MALE - UAV) produced by the Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI/EAB)
The Development on the Pegasus was handled jointly between the Hellenic Air Force Research and Development Center (KETA) and HAI, and began in 1979 with the maiden flight in prototype form in 1982, It entered service with the Hellenic Air Force as Pegasus in 1992, and as the upgraded version Pegasus II in 2005.
Its main mission is Intelligence Surveillance & Reconnaissance over-battlefield (ISR-OB).

View attachment 872578

The upgraded MALE design named Pegasus II (Block I), was introduced in 2005. It featured advanced electronics, an increased fuselage length of 4.3 meters (14.1 feet), increased wingspan 6.2 meters (20.34 feet), takeoff load of 250 kg (551 lb) and increased autonomy of 15 hours.
About 16 units initially produced by the State Aircraft Factory (KEA) and HAI between 2005 and 2007,

Pegasus II can carry a maximum payload weight of 50 kg and thanks to the wide use of composite materials for its construction, it represents a substantial improvement from the initial design. Its technical features make it suitable for ISR-OB missions and it is evaluated as an ELINT payload carrier. Expectations for its use as a weapons carrier were limited, as the relatively small payload capacity makes it less suitable for these type of missions.
Very informative indeed..I did not know that Greece started her Drone program so early in 1980s..Interested to know more about the engines they use...

Very informative indeed..I did not know that Greece started her Drone program so early in 1980s..Interested to know more about the engines they use...

A lot started in Greece, but unfortunately because of the party guilds, everything was left behind.Unfortunately I couldn't find any information about the engines it uses.

Actually,I wanted the Neuron,but the French don't seem too eager to continue the project.

If the government funded the Pegasus project more,we could have had a bigger and better model by now.

It is too big project to be financed by Greece alone. However, I think that LOTUS is the one that should be given priority.

1661183758318.png

1661183786857.png

Archytas Project

It concerns the design and construction of VTOL (Vertical Takeoff and Landing) UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), unmanned aircraft of large dimensions and capable of vertical takeoff/landing, which is designed and will be produced in Greece by the Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI)

1661242693930.png

The first VTOL UAV is expected to fly in Greek skies in about two years, with HAI owning the full exploitation rights of the product to be produced.

Because this program is under development, unfortunately, various opportunists come out from time to time, and say their own, about a superweapon, the UAV that scares the Turks, etc.

To be clear, the size has not yet been determined, because quite simply the program is ongoing.

Back
Top Bottom