What's new

Gurkhas in the Indian Army - images and information

The ferocity of the Gurkhas is not Indian "propaganda". It has been documented throughout history.

Assam rifles is not the Indian army. And as far as i'm aware Nepali Gurkhas are not allowed to serve in a paramilitary force.

Yes Assam rifles is a paramilitary force, but since 1835, it has no less experience after fighting WW1, WW2, and sino-indian.

And yes, there are gurkhas in Assam rifles, and also actively recruited . more than 10 battalion of them.

Gurkhas’ Reputation for
Bravery Precedes Them

Blood Thirst of the Blade

Certainly the most pervasive myth of Gurkha ferocity fans from their famed wielding of the kukri, or the curved Himalayan knife.

Legend has it that once a Gurkha unsheathes his kukri, he must draw blood with it. When a Gurkha unsheathes his weapon in a noncombative situation, he must then cut himself to satisfy the "blood thirst" of the blade.

I can certainly attest to this fact. Infact even in my village, its a tradition to carry swords in religious ceremonies and yes the sword should always be sheathed unless its used in sacrificial ceremonies or in a battle. If you accidently unsheath a sword, you will have to sacrifice an animal - mostly chicken - or if the sword is exposed partially, something like that - not exactly sure - you will have to draw blood from a cut from your own finger and satisfy the blood thirst of the blade.
A Warrior tradition...

ps: nice pics btw! kudos to op.

thanks for the warm response guys !!!!

Gorkhas during republic day parade

983ac19aacbb771e496f2057ec2ab769.jpg

dbd521960fd73072aafb668fbc2a9b43.jpg

stamps released by indian postal department

9c31f27b219e60756a0c46853b9a1815.jpg

d5f36b517fb0f14e9d3cd7f955f89fc1.jpg

1e29ed26867e622302d79bde473139ee.jpg

some more images........

1st Gorkha Rifles Hat facing right. Photo by Jyoti Thapa Mani

1st Gorkha Rifles Hat facing left. Photo by Jyoti Thapa Mani

The First Gorkha Rifles raised in 1815 from the Gorkhas of the 1815 Anglo-Gorkha war. The regiment today has 5 battalions. Photo by Jyoti Thapa Mani

15bed02507e942f190dc6eba9adcf5e5.png

69645a41653cd01ce5d5f3dea71691c7.gif

Last edited:
Kukri

The blade's distinctive forward drop is intended to act as a weight on the end of the blade and make the kukri fall on the enemy faster and with more power. It has been erroneously stated that the knife is specifically weighted for the purpose of slitting the throat. As for attacking, the kukri is most effective as a chopping, slashing weapon - though stabbing attacks are also used.

Kukris usually have a notch or a pair of adjacent notches (the "kaura" or "cho") at the base of the blade. Various reasons are given for this, both practical and ceremonial: that it makes blood and sap drop off the blade rather than running onto the handle; that it delineates the end of the blade whilst sharpening; that it is a symbol representing the Hindu goddess Kali

Although a popular legend states that a Gurkha "never sheaths his blade without first drawing blood", the kukri is most commonly employed as a multi-use utility tool, rather like a machete. It can be used for building, clearing, chopping firewood, digging, cutting meat and vegetables, skinning and also for opening tins

c6a0437d0931b59555dc88f0a7c36865.jpg

''A Gurkha from the 4/8 Gurkhas had demonstrated to me in India how best to use the kukri. Firstly, you get in close to your enemy and stab him in the lower body. When the kukri goes in, the enemy always doubles up. You then swiftly withdraw your kukri and take his head off. With a sharp blade that's easy. I saw many an enemy with their heads off so it must work!'' - British Indian officer (formerly 7th Indian Division)

The weapon was used in combat in both World War I and World War II, where it earned a deadly reputation among enemy forces. During the Second World War, the kukri was purchased and used by other British, Commonwealth, and U.S. troops training in India, including the Chindits and Merrill's Marauders.

e304955117ed9b801e84f4d5b8d8c059.jpg

Last edited:
The Gurkhas - Bravest of Brave

997810824fb56bc4bf4373741c115aa7.jpg

"As I write these last words, my thoughts return to you who were my comrades, the stubborn and indomitable peasants of Nepal. Once more I hear the laughter with which you greeted every hardship. Once more I see you in your bivouacs or about your fires, on forced march or in the trenches, now shivering with wet and cold, now scorched by a pitiless and burning sun. Uncomplaining you endure hunger and thirst and wounds; and at the last your unwavering lines disappear into the smoke and wrath of battle.
Bravest of the brave, most generous of the generous, never had a country more faithful friends than you. "

The words of Professor Sir Ralph Turner, MC, who served with the 3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles in the First World War.

Last edited:
Some corrections here. Gurkhas are not from North East of india. They are from Nepal and from north indian states like uttaranchal.

However , few regiments and paramilitary from north-east like , Naga regiment , Assam rifles, have brrowed couple of gorkhas, and kumaon regiments to have a good regimental strength.

But yes , they have one common similarity . They don't know what Fear is.

So, the Nepali is serving in the indian army ? Do they take officers from nepal or just recruit ?

So, the Nepali is serving in the indian army ? Do they take officers from nepal or just recruit ?

The Indian Army recruited Gorkhas from both Nepal and India in the ratio of 40:60 in each of its Gorkha Rifles battalions. The strength of Gorkhas in the Indian Army currently stood at around 1,20,000 Gorkhas in forty-six battalions, spread across seven regiments each with five battalions

Several Gorkhas aspire to join the Indian Army, as it provided them with a source of employment and earnings. The pension that they received after retirement from service too was an attraction for them to willingly join the Indian Army.Also, by serving in the Indian Army, the Gorkhas get to go home in Nepal by just crossing the Indo-Nepali border within hours, thereby enhancing the possibility of the soldiers attending to domestic issues at short notices.

The British Army, which recruited Gorkhas since its colonial days, currently has only two battalions of Gorkhas. But unlike the Indian Army, the British Army provided home leave for its Gorkha soldiers only once in three years and the soldiers had to travel across continents before they reached home. More over, by serving the Indian Army, the Gorkha soldiers also look forward to providing good education for their wards in India, particularly in schools run by the Defence Ministry. But this was not possible in the British Army, as education is costlier in Britain.

Also, the new pay scales, pension and perks announced by India, which are applicable to Gorkha soldiers too, are extremely attractive, thereby ensuring at least a Rs 15,000 pension for a soldier retiring as honorary Captains. And this amount was much more than what a Major General retiring from the Nepali Army would get.

Also, the new pay scales, pension and perks announced by India, which are applicable to Gorkha soldiers too, are extremely attractive, thereby ensuring at least a Rs 15,000 pension for a soldier retiring as honorary Captains. And this amount was much more than what a Major General retiring from the Nepali Army would get.

Is the underlined part correct ?

truly very nice pics man..but why do most of them look like chinese inidan don't look like this

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom