What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
and jf-17 with full avionics flew in 2006.the last prototype..
and you still hav a long way to go..first after the IOC you will start the full scale production of LCA it will be start in 2012-13
then you wil manufacture 40 LCa means 2014

The Production of the air craft has already started , by this time next year the squadron will be inducted

we already hav 22 jf-17 and more 10-15 are to be added this year and will also get jf-17 frm china.means by mid 2011 we will hav 50 jf-17 and jf-17 block II will be ready because it is almost even ready nw..IRST,engine ready only testing remaining and 1 year is enough for testing

IF that is what you want to believe then fine.

Also keep in mind that if the EJ-2000 engine is chosen it would mean major redesign work, To accommodate the Ej-2000 trust vectoring , the fail fin will be removed so that all manoeuvring can be done via the TVC , and EJ-2000 also add's super cruise to the Tejas's .

But if the GE-414 is chooses , pretty standard upgraded as we expect.

Hi gogbot, do you have any news about when the final decision about the engine will come?

Regarding EJ 200 engine and TVC, I think you are right, but TVC is offered if we fund it. Although it would be a good additional tech, imo we should go for the engine and techs that needs the least changes and delays.
EJ has stated that the engine alone wouldn't need any redesigns unlike the GE 414, so that alone would be a big advantage. Supercruise is possible imo too, especially because EADS already helps in LCA re-design for less weight, but as far as I found out so far, it will depend mainly on drag of LCA design and airflow through the intakes. Both engines generally are able to Supercruise and I find it very interesting to see what all is possible for MK2 and what kind of potential it has.

On the weapon side I would like to see the addition of Python V, AASM and possibly Helina for CAS.

and jf-17 with full avionics flew in 2006.the last prototype..
and you still hav a long way to go..first after the IOC you will start the full scale production of LCA it will be start in 2012-13
then you wil manufacture 40 LCa means 2014
we already hav 22 jf-17 and more 10-15 are to be added this year and will also get jf-17 frm china.means by mid 2011 we will hav 50 jf-17 and jf-17 block II will be ready because it is almost even ready nw..IRST,engine ready only testing remaining and 1 year is enough for testing
the only option remaining is AESA radar which we will choose between Chineese NRIET underdevelopment or italian.
the jf-17 II in performance will be comparable to Gripen NG if nt better

the latest lca i said earliar is no prototype , it is limited series production an first batch of 20 will be delivered in starting months of 2011 an second batch before 2013 , and so u say it urslf dat jf 17 blk2 will not have weight reduction features so no change in payload

Hi does any one have any information about the timeline for selection of new engine. I had read earlier in one of the news article that the selection was supposed to be by end of Mar 2010 however haven't heard any thing thereafter.

@ farhan_9909

I don't want to join your discussion, at least as long as you don't take actual specs of JF 17 and always keeps talking about 100kN engine that are nowhere near to be even evaluated.

However, one point you and many Pakistani members fail to see is, that IAF/MoD has obviously a different strategy in inducting these fighters!
You are right that JF 17 is already in production and inducted, LCA MK1 instead is not, but apart from that both fighters are at the same stage now. Both are integrating radar, avionics, or weapons at the moment, JF 17 through operational service, LCA still as a prototype.
JF 17 has fired WVR missiles and dumb bombs yet, but that has LCA also before too. LCA even integrated the Litening targeting pod, JF 17 has not integrated any pods yet.
The last version of LCA prototype flow with the new MMR and JF 17 most likely with KJ 7, but for both fighters it is not clear if the radars are fully developed and capable (see the discussion in the JF 17 thread).

Both fighters are good additions for PAF and IAF, even in the early not fully capable versions. But the important point is, that both are a big point for independence of foreign countries.

Last edited:
Hi gogbot, do you have any news about when the final decision about the engine will come?

Hi does any one have any information about the timeline for selection of new engine. I had read earlier in one of the news article that the selection was supposed to be by end of Mar 2010 however haven't heard any thing thereafter.

I also have not heard anything and i hate to use that word , but i also checked the PIB for any Info , but it seems there are delays with Engine selection. :cry:

I guess we just have to wait , may be there are some negotiations taking place.

This is the latest reference in PIB that i found

PIB Press Release

Monday, December 14, 2009

LCA Tejas
13:24 IST
/LOK SABHA/

The proposal on the Kaveri-Snecma engine joint venture for the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas is under consideration of the Government.

Request for Proposal (RFP) for procuring 99 engines have been sent to two short-listed engine manufacturers, namely GE F414 from General Electric Aviation, USA and EJ200 from Eurojet Germany.

The engine houses have responded to the RFP. Both Commercial and technical responses have been received for procurement of 99 engines along with Transfer of Technology.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri Gajanan D Babar and others in Lok Sabha today.

PK / RAJ

Don't be surprise if we don't know till the end of the Year.

Regarding EJ 200 engine and TVC, I think you are right, but TVC is offered if we fund it. Although it would be a good additional tech, imo we should go for the engine and techs that needs the least changes and delays.
EJ has stated that the engine alone wouldn't need any redesigns unlike the GE 414, so that alone would be a big advantage. Supercruise is possible imo too, especially because EADS already helps in LCA re-design for less weight, but as far as I found out so far, it will depend mainly on drag of LCA design and airflow through the intakes. Both engines generally are able to Supercruise and I find it very interesting to see what all is possible for MK2 and what kind of potential it has.

On the weapon side I would like to see the addition of Python V, AASM and possibly Helina for CAS.

Actually i did a little looking arround and found these little bits of information.

Supercruise is sustained supersonic flight of an aircraft with a useful cargo, passenger, or weapons load performed efficiently and without the use of afterburners ("reheat").

The Kaveri engine has been specifically designed for the demanding Indian operating environment, which ranges from hot desert to the highest mountain range in the world. The GTRE's design envisions achieving a fan pressure ratio of 4:1 and an overall pressure ratio of 27:1, which it believes will permit the Tejas to "supercruise" (cruise supersonically without the use of the afterburner).

Kaveri
Overall pressure ratio: 21.5:1 [Goal: 27:1]
LP compressor pressure ratio: 3.4:1 [Goal: 4:1]
HP compressor pressure ratio: 6.4:1

GE F414
Overall pressure ratio: 30:1

EJ-200
Overall pressure ratio: 26
Compressor 3LP, 5HP
Turbine 1HP, 1LP

GE-404
Overall pressure ratio: 26:1

Snecma M88
Overall pressure ratio: 24.5:1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/01/22/321428/saab-celebrates-supercruise-test-success-for-gripen.html

These include the demonstrator's General Electric F414G engine and an active electronically scanned array radar that should enter flight-testing later this year.
"To show potential customers that Gripen can supercruise is an important milestone", says Gripen International marketing director Bob Kemp.

Does that sound familiar.

Last edited:
gripen ng and lca mk2 will be lot similiar in capabilities be air to air or air to ground , dats why they r very comparable ,
and is da reason why gripen won't be chosen for mmrca !

lca mk2 will have an aesa radar , a 95-100 kn engine , supercruise and thats wat da tech being added to gripen !!!!!!

an also why buy an imported jet when u get homemade one with similiar specs anhalf da price !!!!!

anyone has some info and specs like range , no' of targets of elta 2052 , then plzz tell !

I don't believe that Gripen IN will not be selected just because it will be similar to the future Mark 2 LCA.
I am sure that if Gripen is shortlisted by IAF then it will be win the competition because when it will come to price negotiation it will offer the best cost

sorry buddy for multiple posts !!! i hv already seen dat pdf file , but i still dont know about it's detection or track range . plzz hlp

sorry buddy for multiple posts !!! i hv already seen dat pdf file , but i still dont know about it's detection or track range . plzz hlp

As the PDF states "tracking capabilitiy of up to 64 targets", which is very impressing! Can't give reliable figures about radar ranges, but the Israelis are experts in this fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker143
As the PDF states "tracking capabilitiy of up to 64 targets", which is very impressing! Can't give reliable figures about radar ranges, but the Israelis are experts in this fields
any estimates on range -+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom