What's new

Hindi and Urdu words learning thread.

both pure hindi and urdu kinda sound funny. people will laugh if you speak words like takluuf and prakat shalinta etc etc. so we both in india n pakistan use simplified hindi/urdu ie is also known as hindustani language.

both pure hindi and urdu kinda sound funny. people will laugh if you speak words like takluuf and prakat shalinta etc etc. so we both in india n pakistan use simplified hindi/urdu ie is also known as hindustani language.

That's not the case in Pakistan; words like taklif, takalluf etc are very common; they're fundamentally part of Urdu; hence no, nobody makes fun of anyone speaking those words. And I don't know what simplified Urdu is supposed to be.
Can't say the same for Hindi.

do u use words like mohtarma benazir bhutoo sahiba. la hol bila kuwat..begum khalida zia etc etc in regular day to day urdu. doest it sound a little too much takuluuf.

do u use words like mohtarma benazir bhutoo sahiba. la hol bila kuwat..begum khalida zia etc etc in regular day to day urdu. doest it sound a little too much takuluuf.

Mohtarma is used for respected elder ladies, yes. Benazir is just a name, and so is Bhutto. Sahiba is female of Sahib (alot of the times pronounced Saab)

La hol bila kuwait....is actually La Hawla Wala Quwwata and it's a common prayer
Begum can be a surname, and yeah, it can be used to mean "wife" as well
Khalida and Zia are both names, Zia is a masculine name btw

And no, none of that sounds "Takalluf". We use the word Takalluf to mean something entirely different, buddy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to confirm one thing to you; in Urdu we don't have a Pure and Common variant of Urdu as you do in Hindi. Urdu is simply Urdu, and words be they of Perso-Arabic or Indic origin, are both used commonly. Both are correct.

In Hindi, because of excessive Sasnkritisation to get rid of Islamic (Perso-Arabic) influence on Hindi, it has created a gap between the Common (as it is called nowadays) Hindi and this new Hindi called Shuddh Hindi. People learn one type of Hindi at schol and speak another at home, that's where the confusion arises. Nothing of the sort happens in with Urdu.

the best thing is, all Indian languages have Sanskrit contents. Hence, We South Indians can better understand Hindi because of Sanskrit words. Suppose, I don't have the proper hindustani word not known to Me, I will simply try to use Sanskrit word which is known to Me from South Indian languages.

With Arabic/Persian words, Hindi would not have been that easy to learn for Rest of Indians other than native Hindi/Khadi Boli speakers.

With Arabic/Persian words, Hindi would not have been that easy to learn for Rest of Indians other than native Hindi/Khadi Boli speakers.

You're right actually; part of the reason Hindi was purposefully Sanskritised was so it would become easier to understand/learn all over India as the official language.
However, South Indian languages do not descend from Sanskrit, they probably have borrowed alot from it though.

^^ jab urdu chit chat thread shuroo hoi thi aap kahtey they mujhey urdu nahi aati, aur is thread mein aap sab ko urdu sikha rahien hain ?

You're right actually; part of the reason Hindi was purposefully Sanskritised was so it would become easier to understand/learn all over India as the official language.
However, South Indian languages do not descend from Sanskrit, they probably have borrowed alot from it though.
Yes, South Indian languages have different origin than Indo-Aryan Languages. but, for eg: Telegu language I've heard have largest Sanskrit percentage even higher than Hindi?

However, I was shocked to learn that some words never to be expected in Dravidian languages are present even in Tamil(am not a Tamil speaker, but knows it)..:
Zabardast,Naasuk,Dastakhat,Baksheesh,parvah etc.

Back
Top Bottom