What's new

How close is Pakistan to default

Looks like the Chinese nor the Arabs are interested in salvaging Pakistan’s economy.

One, the political situation is absolute trash.

Two, the PDM economic team, to put it mildly are criminals.

Three, Dar is only good at fudging economic figures. Go check out the pending import LCs suspended.

Four, the economic growth is at a standstill and the situation doesn’t look like improving.

I can go on and on.

Looks like the Chinese nor the Arabs are interested in salvaging Pakistan’s economy.

Three, Dar is only good at fudging economic figures. Go check out the pending import LCs suspended.

Four, the economic growth is at a standstill and the situation doesn’t look like improving.

I can go on and on.

I think there is a LOT more politics here than the reality. The credit default swaps yields are bad as evident by Forex prices, but they aren't near a "bankruptcy". But I agree with everyone's position here, hard work is needed to grow the economy and take the nation out of this situation. I think with new COAS in now, things will start to stabilize on the political front soon too and maturity will kick in. Pakistan belongs to all of us and we worry for the situation we are in.

I can go on and on.
As long as we can get Biryanis we should be fine

Possible Default Impacts:

1. Massive currency devaluation
2. Heavy spending cut/lower salaries
3. Banking crises (may default too)
4. Debt restructure at cost of 5&6
5. Taxes++
6. Assets possession
7. No new loans for long
Take out your money..buy black market gold or dollars.

Be strategic with real estate investments as bubble will burst when default kicks in.

I think there is a LOT more politics here than the reality. The credit default swaps yields are bad as evident by Forex prices, but they aren't near a "bankruptcy". But I agree with everyone's position here, hard work is needed to grow the economy and take the nation out of this situation. I think with new COAS in now, things will start to stabilize on the political front soon too and maturity will kick in. Pakistan belongs to all of us and we worry for the situation we are in.
Country doesn't belong to youthias...just to Nawaz sharif and family

Dar's tactics seem to be working:

Current account deficit shrinks 68.13pc YoY to $0.57bn in October

With some good news:

Oil dips near 2-month lows as supply concerns ease

and some bad news:

The (unsurprising) drop in textile exports

Just ban oil imports and viola your CAD will be fixed.

Tactics will work great.

Who care about inflows

Sure I’m the crazy one, looking at the numbers and being worried the nation won’t be able to pay back the debt on time.

I hope I’m wrong and once again a rabbit can be pulled out of hat to get this economy going.
1669362944712.gif

Then Pakistan will have to import khota gari for transportation.

As long as we can get Biryanis we should be fine

Take out your money..buy black market gold or dollars.

Be strategic with real estate investments as bubble will burst when default kicks in.

Country doesn't belong to youthias...just to Nawaz sharif and family

Tactics will work great.

Who care about inflows
How to buy gold and keep it safe?
Can we buy gold via Meezan investment gold fund, will it be safe?

I can go on and on.
I think there is general liquidity crunch in the international market due to all the deficits incurred during Covid and now a long-drawn-out war in Ukraine with no end in sight. If the oil exporters (who should be having a lot of revenue at the prevailing oil prices) do not like to release any funds, Pakistan may have to go it alone in managing this crisis. China has its own continuing Covid crisis so not much liquidity there.

I can go on and on.
Why would they after that idiotic speech by sepoy lumber one Mir Bajwa at the Islamabad strategic dialogue summit.

Pakistani population don't have slightest idea what happens when country defaults.

- Petrol/diesel and other fuel will disappear from markets/pumps. Barely any car/transport on roads.
- Factories will shutdown, farming will slow down as most machinery runs on diesel.
- Food prices will increase
- Water shortage, no electricity to pump water
- Loadshedding up to 12 hours per day
- Internet will seem like a luxury
- 99% of country corrupt elites have already booked their airline tickets and travel plans

If you want to know about first hand experience, ask any Indian-occupied Kashmiri about what happened on August 5, 2019... Or any Sri Lankan why they burned Lamborghinis..

All these can be avoided if we make our accountability/justice system robust.

Last edited:
another loan to pay 1 billion..
Not sure what was the need to pay that back now instead of rolling over (unless lenders severely disagreed, in which case the problems are more severe at political level). The reserves are at 7.8 billion, which is basically running on fumes. There are already issues with Petroleum import and gas shortages. If there is a fuel or food shortage, government collapse is inevitable.

State Bank reserves fall to $7.8bn

Back
Top Bottom