What's new

How #IndiaTogether became top trend after Rihanna's tweet on farmers' stir

Vikki

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
The Twitter storm started after a tweet by international pop icon Rihanna who posted a news article about the suspension of internet at sites where farmers are protesting.
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Amit Chaturvedi
UPDATED ON FEB 04, 2021 10:19 AM IST

Twitter has been abuzz with celebrities - both India and global - posting about the farmers' protest in India. While the international icons like Rihanna and Greta Thunberg tweeted about "standing in solidarity" with these protests and starting a debate around them, those at home said "external forces can be spectators but not participants".
The point highlighted by Sachin Tendulkar and other Indian celebrities was 'let's stay united'.

The buzz started after Rihanna's tweet, and led to trending of two hashtags.

The origin

The Twitter storm started after a tweet by international pop icon Rihanna who posted a news article about the suspension of internet at sites where farmers are protesting. "Why aren't we talking about this?!" she said adding #FarmersProtest hashtag.

Swedish environment activist Greta Thunberg too joined in saying “We stand in solidarity with the #FarmersProtest in India.” She also used the same hashtag. She also posted a toolkit for those who want to amplify the issue of farmers' protest in India. The toolkit - link to a document - contained plans about January 26 protest and other planned stir across the globe.
After uproar, she deleted the post and tweeted an update.

But by this time, several Indian celebrities lashed out at the Rihanna, Mia Khalifa and others and called for staying united.
The government's response

As the issue gained prominence, the ministry of external affairs (MEA) issued a statement to highlight that Parliament of India had passed "reformist legislation" for the agricultural sector, which "a very small section of farmers" have some reservations about and therefore the laws have been kept on hold while talks are held.
It also said that some vested interest groups have tried to mobilise international support against the country. "Before rushing to comment on such matters, we would urge that the facts be ascertained, and a proper understanding of the issues at hand be undertaken. The temptation of sensationalist social media hashtags and comments, especially when resorted to by celebrities and others, is neither accurate nor responsible," the MEA said posting the statement alogn with two hashtags #IndiaTogether and #IndiaAgainstPropaganda.

While the international icons like Rihanna and Greta Thunberg tweeted about "standing in solidarity" with these protests and starting a debate around them, those at home said "external forces can be spectators but not participants".

1. Who are these "those at home" ? A certain IT Cell ? ;)

2. Why did the Indian government bring the CAA act, given as it would be participating in other countries' affairs ?

Last edited:
Liberals coming in 3...2....1......
Liberals where? In Twitter or here 😂
1. Who are these "those at home" ? A certain IT Cell ? ;)

2. Why did the Indian government bring the CAA act, given as it would be participating in other countries' affairs ?
Hey man, did you know? Your Indian Che Guvera Kanhaiya got censured after his supporter assaulted a woman in the party office. 😂

Hey man, did you know? Your Indian Che Guvera Kanhaiya got censured after his supporter assaulted a woman in the party office. 😂

Link to article please.

And did Kanhaiya participate in the act ?

Lastly, I didn't get alert or notification listing for your quoting of my post.

Link to article please.

And did Kanhaiya participate in the act ?

Lastly, I didn't get alert or notification listing for your quoting of my post.
That's weird, did you block me or something? lol

As for the Indian che guvera, he is a serial offender I suppose, I guess I know how he is called Indian Che.
This one is one simple google search on him gave.

This is the censure.

"IndiaTogether"... Farmers must have missed that one I guess it a done deal they can all go back now lol.

Enjoying the show for past few days seeing sanghi trolls spew verbal diarrhea allover the internet looking desperate and stupid. You done more damage to yourselves then anyone else can hope to...long may it continue!!

The Twitter storm started after a tweet by international pop icon Rihanna who posted a news article about the suspension of internet at sites where farmers are protesting.
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Amit Chaturvedi
UPDATED ON FEB 04, 2021 10:19 AM IST

Twitter has been abuzz with celebrities - both India and global - posting about the farmers' protest in India. While the international icons like Rihanna and Greta Thunberg tweeted about "standing in solidarity" with these protests and starting a debate around them, those at home said "external forces can be spectators but not participants".
The point highlighted by Sachin Tendulkar and other Indian celebrities was 'let's stay united'.

The buzz started after Rihanna's tweet, and led to trending of two hashtags.

The origin

The Twitter storm started after a tweet by international pop icon Rihanna who posted a news article about the suspension of internet at sites where farmers are protesting. "Why aren't we talking about this?!" she said adding #FarmersProtest hashtag.

Swedish environment activist Greta Thunberg too joined in saying “We stand in solidarity with the #FarmersProtest in India.” She also used the same hashtag. She also posted a toolkit for those who want to amplify the issue of farmers' protest in India. The toolkit - link to a document - contained plans about January 26 protest and other planned stir across the globe.
After uproar, she deleted the post and tweeted an update.

But by this time, several Indian celebrities lashed out at the Rihanna, Mia Khalifa and others and called for staying united.
The government's response

As the issue gained prominence, the ministry of external affairs (MEA) issued a statement to highlight that Parliament of India had passed "reformist legislation" for the agricultural sector, which "a very small section of farmers" have some reservations about and therefore the laws have been kept on hold while talks are held.
It also said that some vested interest groups have tried to mobilise international support against the country. "Before rushing to comment on such matters, we would urge that the facts be ascertained, and a proper understanding of the issues at hand be undertaken. The temptation of sensationalist social media hashtags and comments, especially when resorted to by celebrities and others, is neither accurate nor responsible," the MEA said posting the statement alogn with two hashtags #IndiaTogether and #IndiaAgainstPropaganda.

IT Cell Zindabad

That's weird, did you block me or something? lol

No, it has happened earlier too in context of others tagging or quoting me.

And this last quote of yours I got the notification.

Another member too has complained of this happening with him. Some forum bug.

As for the Indian che guvera, he is a serial offender I suppose, I guess I know how he is called Indian Che.
This one is one simple google search on him gave.

I know about that incident. It is just one and he has apologized for it in subsequent years. So calling him a serial offender is an exaggeration.

I think that was short lived, as another anti-modi and anti-national lot is protesting in favor of reservation. But modi ji must stand firm.

This is the censure.
CPI leaders said Kanhaiya needed to be cautioned as he had earlier issued statements about CPI having turned into “Confusion Party of India.”
Kanhaiya had clarified later that he did not take part in the incident. He had also apologized for the action of his supporters.
“The censure motion was aimed at reprimanding the young leader and telling him to be careful in the future,” said Venkat Reddy.
I hope he doesn't get angry and leave the party but takes it as a gentle and legitimate criticism.

He knows about his appeal as the vanguard of a renewed leftist activism in India and may have become a bit overenthusiastic about criticism of his party.

The party and he need each other.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom