What's new

I am learning Urdu(Nastaliq script)

Not all Hindi. Thing is for many Indians Hindi is not the their mother tongue they have their own dialects. But the Hindi spoken in UP, Delhi, Himachal, Uttarakhand where Hindi is the first language, it doesn't sound much different than Urdu(accent, pronunciation), except less Persian words.

Its like how Pashtuns speak Urdu, or rural Punjabi or Balochi guy speaks Urdu. It sounds funny. Any case differences are very trivial, its like Spanish spoken in Spain and Mexico or English spoken in Australia, America and the UK. There is lot more in common than differences, yet people insist on focusing on those trivial differences.

If I watch some of your Indian dramas the way and the words the women use are hilarious.

Not all Hindi. Thing is for many Indians Hindi is not the their mother tongue they have their own dialects. But the Hindi spoken in UP, Delhi, Himachal, Uttarakhand where Hindi is the first language, it doesn't sound much different than Urdu(accent, pronunciation), except less Persian words

...Gh, Kh, Q, 3ain, Z...I can name so many sounds which either don't exist in Hindi or they're pronounced differently, and you still say they sound the same?

Not the mention Urdu sounds far more flowery and beautiful.

If I watch some of your Indian dramas the way and the words the women use are hilarious.

Yes cause from what I have noticed many of these dramas these days are based on life in Bihar, Haryana, Rajasthan and other rural areas. They speak Hindi with a tinge of their local dialects.

I'll give you an example, look at this Pakistani drama and how the guy tries to emulate hindi. It sounds and looks hilarious. Plus I can't understand most of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Gh, Kh, Q, 3ain, Z...I can name so many sounds which either don't exist in Hindi or they're pronounced differently, and you still say they sound the same?

About the Z sound, am pretty sure there is no word in Hindi or Sanskrit which has a Z sound. In the alphabets a small change was made to the J sound to include the Z sound as well. But its optional and not many people use it.

The “z” sound is written in Hindi using the ज (ja)and putting a dot underneath it like this: ज़ (za) However, it is very common for books and writings to leave this dot off.

So you can see why a lot of people pronounce J instead of Z, specially people who are not familiar with the Persian words. People from my region don't have that issue at all.

Am not sure what other sounds you are referring to, but if you can give me examples(words) I might be able to explain it.

Am not sure what other sounds you are referring to, but if you can give me examples(words) I might be able to explain it.

We say Gharib (poor), Khud (one's own self) etc
You probably say 'Garib' and 'kkhhud' as an Khana

..Also I've seen Indians confuse Sh and S as well: Sarab instead of Sharab

I'll give you an example, look at this Pakistani drama and how the guy tries to emulate hindi. It sounds and looks hilarious. Plus I can't understand most of it.

:lol: No Hindi speaker talks like that. Its regional dialect put on as part of the character.

Last edited by a moderator:
We say Gharib (poor), Khud (one's own self) etc
You probably say 'Garib' and 'kkhhud' as an Khana

..Also I've seen Indians confuse Sh and S as well: Sarab instead of Sharab

Yup it all comes down to how its written using Hindi alphabets. "Gharib" is written as "Gareeb" in Hindi, cause the "G" sound just is "Ga" not "Gha", Persian script probably has the "Gha" sound. Khud and Khana they both sound the same to me.

It all comes down to what sounds does the alphabets of a language has. English alphabets have similar problems pronouncing Hindi/Urdu words. Like say the name "Danish", English people will pronounce it as "Danish" when it should "The(Da)-nish". Lol hard to explain, but am sure you get it.

someone who knows both devanagari and nastaliq scripts and hindustani enough can only explain things to both hindi and urdu speakers. any dabang from uttar pradesh? :D

Yup it all comes down to how its written using Hindi alphabets. "Gharib" is written as "Gareeb" in Hindi, cause the "G" sound just is "Ga" not "Gha", Persian script probably has the "Gha" sound. Khud and Khana they both sound the same to me

You're sort of right; but the reason the sound 'G' is used instead of 'Gh' is because 'Gh' sound doesn't exist; is basically foreign, to most Hindi speakers. Same with Kh and other sounds.
By the way, the Gh I'm referring to is not the 'Gh' as in 'Ghora' (horse), it's a sound similar to French 'r'

Hey why isn't there zabar over ر in ب ھ ا رت .
Loveicon bhai to offline hain.Koi aur bata do.

Hey happinessmark,maybe you can help me.

Even though officially there is supposed to be zerr zabar pesh in Urdu, after a while you just stop using it, to de-clutter unless you can make out that without it a word can have two meanings.

Paras, you should first download the nafees nastaliq font.

Try seeing Urdu in its actual written style, quite different from Arabic

Roy I'm guessing there's the same issue with F and Ph? Some Indians say fool instead of phool.

Or Indians can't say the letter Khay if their life depended on it. In one Preiti Zinta movie she had to play the role of a Pakistani. She said the most difficult aspect was for her to say he name - xyz Khan, because the way Indians say is K-han.

Urdu has almost all sounds, but Pakistanis write English words really weirdly as well. For example the word Ball is spelt, baal. Or Point is spelt Paa-int. Not that Urdu can't spell it right, but someone just set a wrong trend at some point with the common words.

Is Urdu and Arabic is different in writing. say for Eg. if i want to write my name in both of these languages then is it written differently.

Thanks Paras for starting this thread.

To all my pakistani friends, I want to learn writing in arabic. any guess how much time it will take if I spare an hour every day.
and also please tell me from where to start with.

Thanks n Regards

Is Urdu and Arabic is different in writing

The calligraphic styles both are written in are different:

Nastaliq_naskh_comparison.PNG

{notice: exactly the same thing is written in both samples}

Persian and Urdu are written in the Nastaleeq style; Arabic on the other hand in the Naskh style.

Back
Top Bottom