What's new

IAF has '98' Su-30 MKIs; to have 230 by 2015: Defence Minister

Screaming Skull

Reaction score

New Delhi, PTI:

Government plans to more than double the number of Russian-made Sukhoi 30 MKI fighter aircraft in Indian Air Force fleet to 230 by 2015, Defence Minister A K Antony informed the Rajya Sabha Wednesday.

Replying to supplementaries during the Question Hour, Antony said since 1996 IAF has procured 98 Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft.

"By 2015, we plan to have a fleet of 230 Sukhoi fighter aircraft," he said.

IAF, he said, feels Sukhoi - one of the most advanced fighter aircraft in the world - is best suited for Indian conditions. "IAF is very happy with these aircraft," he said.

He said a Court of Inquiry has been ordered into a Sukhoi crash near Jaisalmer on April 30 during a routine training flight. Both pilots ejected but the Flying Inspector, who was also a qualified pilot and was occupying the rear seat, succumbed to injuries.

"Following the incident, the IAF has undertaken a detailed inspection of all Sukhoi 30 MKI fighter aircraft," he said.

Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said the blackbox of the crashed Sukhoi was badly damaged and has been sent to the UK for retrieving information.

The Court of Inquiry would look into the possible reasons for the crash including probability of malfunctioning of some equipment.

IAF to have 230 Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter planes by 2015: Antony

Since, the defence minister himself has made this statement in the parliament, we can put an end to all the speculation about the current MKI numbers in the IAF!

lets not read too much in time boundries created by our babu's . we all know its simply not possible. as they also plan to have mca by 2012 and by lca would have been here a decade ago and so did arjun, kaveri and many many more.

But i would like a open sphere where we know who is doign what and why delay are happening . and who is accountable for it ?

our defence and research and management will only remain preposterous until we have accountability for delay or failure.

one positive thign is numbers of mk1 we have 98 it have be final because defence minsters approval.

lets not read too much in time boundries created by our babu's . we all know its simply not possible. as they also plan to have mca by 2012 and by lca would have been here a decade ago and so did arjun, kaveri and many many more.

But i would like a open sphere where we know who is doign what and why delay are happening . and who is accountable for it ?

our defence and research and management will only remain preposterous until we have accountability for delay or failure.

My intention was not to highlight the 2015 figure. We were having an interesting debate with some senior Pakistani members in some other threads where, they were arguing that we have just about 50-55 MKIs currently. No matter how much some Indian members argued based on facts and MKI serials, they refused to budge from their position.

So, I just wanted to end this speculation once and for all. As for 2015, we can only wait and watch.

Last edited:
so what about the problems you people are facing....due to which you lost one SU-30....are those 98 facing problems or they are updated version?

@Mr kaisersoze,

is the statement of indian defence minister about the current fleet of Su-30 mki credible enough for u??

Why should it be impossible? We are talking about producing a fully developed aircraft, not a new development.
If 98 are correct, it means that HAL produced 48 since 2004, ordered for licence production are 140. So 92 still to come in the next 5 - 6 years, don't see any problems with that, though it's normal that the production rate will be increased during the years.

98 Su-30's would mean nearly 5 operational squadrons. I didn't know that we had those many already, my guess was that we had just 3 operational squadrons. Oh boy!!! That's some firepower!!!

I m glad the SU30MKI nos have been cleared

I said there are 5 squadrons and 100 combast planes APPROX.

I also believe that this time next year year india will receive another 40 direct from RUSSIA.

by 2012 IAF will probably have over 160 mki IN 8 SQUADRONS.

With news coming from the Paris Air show that new ram coating to reduce RCS is being applied together with AESA radar soon the mki will be an awesome backbone of the IAF.

Add the PHALCON AWACS which have also arrived makes a deadly combo

I m glad the SU30MKI nos have been cleared

I said there are 5 squadrons and 100 combast planes APPROX.

I also believe that this time next year year india will receive another 40 direct from RUSSIA.

by 2012 IAF will probably have over 160 mki IN 8 SQUADRONS.

With news coming from the Paris Air show that new ram coating to reduce RCS is being applied together with AESA radar soon the mki will be an awesome backbone of the IAF.

Add the PHALCON AWACS which have also arrived makes a deadly combo

Yes and that is the reason because of the pace at which the new aircrafts are coming new squadrons are getting deployed in tezpur (in the NE sector) and in future it would be deployed in southern sector as well.

The Indians are picking up the pace with mki induction for 3 reasons.

1. To replace the aging fleet which was mig21/23 FLEET and fall in nos.
2. To free up plant space to start manufacture of MRCA from 2014 onwards.
3. To free time and resources for LCA MK2 & PAK FA.

The entire mki production programme is scheduled to finish in 5 years time.

I do request to the members dont trust over the statements given by the Defence Min of India.....IAF has 6 squ of Su-30 Mki ......n each squ has 18-20 init..... Antony telling a white lie in the House.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom