What's new

IAF has '98' Su-30 MKIs; to have 230 by 2015: Defence Minister

LoL I do laugh somewhat with your comments. Ok lets try again.....55 plus 40 (additional Irkut airframes) anyone? Procurement does not mean delivery. Ahve a nice day!

LoL I do laugh somewhat with your comments. Ok lets try again.....55 plus 40 (additional Irkut airframes) anyone? Procurement does not mean delivery. Ahve a nice day!

Quite literally we are playing with the words now ....you are looking for a particular word in a speech or a report and there is none...and that forms the basis of your refusal.....quite sad that Defence minister didnt say 'Delivery' instead of procurement....would have laid this stupid matter to rest.....

Anyways all Indian sources report anywhere from 80 to 100 mki's. BR (yup i know BR's a taboo word here) also puts the number at 80 and no reason not to believe them since they have got pretty good sources including ex pilots / defence reporters on the forum.....

Lets hope next time somebody has the sense to say 'Delivery' and not any other word.

Keysersoze, Antony used the word "Procured". Procure and Procured are both different as it is the past tense of other. Wiki confirms the number. Good day to u too.

India says satisfied with Su-30 fighter, despite recent crash

NEW DELHI, July 8 (RIA Novosti) - India is satisfied with the performance of Russian Su-30MKI fighters, despite a crash in April, and plans to double the number in service with the air force by 2015, the defense minister said on Wednesday.

The Indian Air Force originally ordered 50 SU-30MKI aircraft from Russia in 1996-98 and an additional 40 planes in 2007. Hindustani Aeronautics (HAL) was also contracted to build 140 aircraft in India between 2003 and 2017 under a licensed production agreement.

"We have purchased 98 Su-30MKI combat jets since 1996. By 2015, we are planning to increase their number to 230," A. K. Antony told the upper house of the Indian parliament.

"The Indian Air Force is happy with the aircraft and we believe it is one of the best in the world," he added.

Antony said the investigation into the cause of the April 30 crash of an Indian Air Force Su-30MKI was still underway.

The plane crashed during a routine training flight near a village 170km from the town of Jaisalmer in the northeastern state of Rajasthan, killing one of its two pilots.

The incident was the first since the Su-30MKI was put into service with the Indian Air Force in 2002.

Russia sent in May a group of 20 experts to examine the wreckage of the plane and help the Indian Air Force with the investigation.

India says satisfied with Su-30 fighter, despite recent crash

Keysersoze, Antony used the word "Procured". Procure and Procured are both different as it is the past tense of other. Wiki confirms the number. Good day to u too.

Xebex ....anthony did not use 'delivery' word and he used 'procured' instead......

So 98 mki is not possible.....this logic is exellent i should say

Sukhoi Su-30 jet crash raises heat in Rajya Sabha

New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) The crash of an Indian Air Force Sukhoi Su-30 combat jet in Rajasthan this April, the first accident involving the plane since it was inducted 12 years ago, generated much heat in the Rajya Sabha Wednesday, prompting Defence Minister A.K. Antony to intervene and state that the IAF was 'very happy' with the aircraft.

'The Su-30 is one of the most advanced jets in the world. The IAF is very happy with it. The IAF feels it is one of the best in the world,' Antony maintained.

Antony had asked his deputy, M.M. Pallam Raju, to reply to the main question on the April 30 crash of a twin-seat Russian-origin Sukhoi Su-30MKI near Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.

He, however, stepped in when member after member asked searching questions about the crash and one MP even wondered why the IAF was persisting with Russian-origin aircraft when others were available.

'Was it a case of a wrong pilot in a right plane?', 'Has the black box been sent to England?', 'What precautions were taken before take-off?', 'Did the pilots report a malfunction?', 'What is the state of investigations'... those were some of the questions asked but not all were answered.

Answering the main question, Raju said the Su-30's black box had been 'badly damaged' and efforts were underway to retrieve the data contained in it.

'The black box has been badly damaged. There is only one company in the UK that can retrieve the data contained in it. That effort is now underway,' Raju said.

'Once we find out what went wrong, then rectification can be done,' he added.

Raju did not rule out the 'possibility' of technical failure 'because of the aircraft's fly-by-wire technology', even as he dodged a question on whether the data chip of the jet's rear seat had been sent to Russia for decoding.

The jet's pilot, Wing Commander S.V. Munje, and the co-pilot, Wing Commander P.S. Narah, had managed to bail out in time but the latter was killed after being apparently hit by the falling debris of the aircraft.

IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Pradeep Nair is on record as saying that the ejection mechanism of the rear seat may have been faulty.

Responding to a supplementary on the precautions that were taken before the aircraft took off, Raju said: 'There are standard operating procedures that are followed. If there was any disorder, it would have become known.'

'However, once in the air, there is the possibility of malfunctioning because of the aircraft's fly-by-wire technology,' the minister added.

'A court of enquiry is underway. I cannot reveal anything more till it is completed.'

The Su-30 was inducted in 1996 and the IAF fleet currently comprises 98 aircraft. This will rise to 230 by 2015, Antony said.

Of the Su-30s in the IAF fleet, some were bought in flyaway condition from its Russian manufacturer while state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) manufactured the others under licence. It was not clear which category the crashed jet belonged to.

The Su-30 has won universal acclaim from the air forces of the US, Britain and France whenever it has been fielded against them in war games. Eight Su-30s had participated in the prestigious Red Flag exercise with the US Air Force at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, last year and had more than held their own against their counterparts' F/A-18 and F-16 combat jets.

My logic is, according to the first deal Russia delivered 40. The next deal was to License produce 140 of them. So if the post above said was true How did Antony came up with a number 98?? it should have been 180 right? correct me if i am wrong. I could be wrong i dunno...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-30MKI

My logic is, according to the first deal Russia delivered 40. The next deal was to License produce 140 of them. So if the post above said was true How did Antony came up with a number 98?? it should have been 180 right? correct me if i am wrong. I could be wrong i dunno...

Sukhoi Su-30MKI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it is but u miss something

in 1996 deal was 40 a/c
1998 added 10 more
in 2001-03 140 - for the licence production for hal
then 2007 40
so the total no. is 230

That's seriously lame dude. Playing with words wont help. Whats the harm in accepting that you where wrong for once?? Wont exactly make you an outcast, it will increase your reputation instead.

That's seriously lame dude. Playing with words wont help. Whats the harm in accepting that you where wrong for once?? Wont exactly make you an outcast, it will increase your reputation instead.

His logic was correct.

The word ‘procured’ in the article is the reporter’s own concoction! He/she does not quote the defence minister there. So, your logic is flawed fundamentally.

Here, I have managed to get my hands on the original Rajya Sabha transcript for 8th July 2009.

DR. N. JANARADHANA REDDY (CONTD): If it is so, why should they go in for Russian aircraft? There were so many talks about purchase of this Russian aircraft, at that time also.

SHRI A.K. ANTONY: Sir, Sukhoi fighter aircraft is one of the most advanced aircraft in the world and the Indian Air Force is very happy about that. The first lot of Sukhoi was procured in the year 1996. At the moment, Indian Air Force has got 98 Sukhois. Their plan is that by 2015, they must have a fleet of 230. So, from November 1996 onwards, this contract is there. So, it is not a new contract and the Air Force feels that this is the best as far as the Indian conditions are concerned. Regarding this kind of technicalities, we are not the experts; we have to go by the technical advice of the Air Force. They are very happy with this Aircraft for the last four decades. The Indian Air Force is very happy with the Russian made fighter aircraft.

page 3, of Transcript of Rajya Sabha proceedings- http://164.100.47.5/newdebate/217/08072009/Fullday.pdf

So, in the minister's own words- "At the moment, Indian Air Force has got 98 Sukhois.", no 'procured', no 'delivered', no BS, simple plain English!

Chao!:wave:

The word ‘procured’ in the article is the reporter’s own concoction! He/she does not quote the defence minister there. So, your logic is flawed fundamentally.

Here, I have managed to get my hands on the original Rajya Sabha transcript for 8th July 2009.

page 3, of Transcript of Rajya Sabha proceedings- http://164.100.47.5/newdebate/217/08072009/Fullday.pdf

So, in the minister's own words- "At the moment, Indian Air Force has got 98 Sukhois.", no 'procured', no 'delivered', no BS, simple plain English!

Chao!:wave:

I think that instead of splitting hairs this statement from the Hon. Defence Min is very clear that the number is 98.
End of Argument.

His logic was correct.

The correctness of his logic applies only to English grammar. As for the matter at hand he was just playing with words, trying to give the whole thing a spin. That's not a very healthy habit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom