What's new

'India can leave China behind in manufacturing if given certain facilities' Delhi CM suggests

In 1989 both China and India had a GDP per capita of US$300 but since then China has grown 33x while India only 6x. It is an understatement to say that Indians are jealous and angry. China will continue to grow fast paced while India is still making little steps. If India really has what it takes to overtake China it would have done so by now.
Then there's an idiot like @dbc that wishes China to implode. As if the Communist Party would put incapable people at the top level jobs, that's truly the case for India which is why to this day India is a sh.thole. Even if India has some capable leadership the problem India has cannot be solved. That is why when some Indian journalist asked if Lee Kuan Yew could turn India into another Singapore, not only did he laugh he gave an answer so convincing that India has no hope.

Yes, governance of Kejri the centrist plus the leftists.

I hope the three recent Indian private space rocket companies - Skyroot Aerospace, Bellatrix Aerospace and Agnikul Cosmos - individually or combinedly initiate a manned space program which can land Indians on Mars by the mid-2030s.

Bhai jaan, two wheelers should be banned the world over.
The leftist wont win. Kejri wont win. 0% chance

Many Indians spend all the hours of their lives worshipping cows and most Indian women don't work, Indian never focus on education and the improvement of the overall quality of the general population, the country never spends big on training their workers to get a skilled work force.
Even given their all the facilities that China has, India still can not make significant progress leting alone leaving China behind, the nation can never reach the level of productivity of the Chinese nation.
As a senior government leader, this Arvind Kejriwal guy should know that it's not about facilities at all.
India’s deeply rooted caste culture will ensure it will never catch up to China. Society is deeply polarized and the upper castes are the ones with resources to educate their kids. Unfortunately, they also operate on an entitled rentier/landlord mentality and want to just be served. Since they are generationally wealthy, they are accustomed to just live off their family’s wealth and status. The poor barely have a chance to do something with their lives except just scrape off the bottom. There is a small middle class where people strive for higher but it is small overall.

China’s Confucian culture strongly emphasizes the values of hard work and cooperation with others in society. This builds a society that feels like a big family with people expected to look out for the interests of the whole. You don’t have to just look at China but take a look at Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Singapore to see the results of this. China just arrived late to the party because of political instability and bad economic policies but now there is a good chance China will surpass even all of these other great East Asian societies in terms of development and advancement for the common man.

Unity is the strength of the Chinese nation and our mind is collectively oriented, every person is ready to sacrifice a bit for the common good of the Chinese nation and development, in the end, everyone can benefit much more than we gave.
Indian politicians and public only care about short term personal gains and spend most of their time fighting themselves and political rivals, how can they overtake China?

You just don't understand, do you? it's not the facilites as the OP article claims, it's the quality of the general population, something may take generations to improve.
And you think China will stay put waiting to be overtaken? You sound like you are talking about US, India has a better chance to overtake US than to overtake China, but this is also very unlikely. India was just being overtaken by Bangladesh per capita wise last year in 2020.

quality of the general population! :lol:

So you claim racial superiority- Chinese are racially superior therefore India will never overtake China. I work with some of the sharpest minds in the world. I know for a fact that intellect isn't the sole preserve of the Han Chinese.

If racial superiority is the essence of economic growth then why did China languish in abject poverty for the first 50 years under the CPC. The cultural revolution and the great leap were all products of superior Chinese intellect. You say India will never overtake China - unless you can see the infinite future you can't make that assertion. Does it look like India can overtake China based on its current trajectory? No, but nothing can be taken for granted. India may split into smaller provinces and cease to exist or India may become a hyperpower and an economic behemoth. You cannot predict the future and say NEVER.

basically china is like beehive and collective mindset and india is like stray dogs humping each other.

'India can leave China behind in manufacturing if given certain facilities' Delhi CM suggests
Updated: 20 Feb 2021, 05:18 PM IST
20210203162L_1613821591088_1613821607313.jpg

Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal

Arvind Kejriwal, chief minister of Delhi, said on Saturday that India has potential to leave China behind in manufacturing, given certain facilities. He was speaking at the governing council meeting of Niti Aayog.

"If state and central government set up manufacturing hubs, give tax breaks and all necessary facilities to manufacturers especially to medium & small industries so that they can make products cheaper than China, then it'll create jobs and we can leave China behind in manufacturing," Kejriwal said.

"We didn't focus on manufacturing in last 70 years. Our country is lagging behind in manufacturing. The way Chinese products are replacing India products, it is necessary that we aggressively pursue manufacturing," Delhi chief minister added.

"We need to aggressively promote start-ups. It will create a huge number of jobs in the country," Kejriwal said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday urged the centre and state to work closely to boost economic growth. He also made a strong statement for repealing archaic laws and making it easier to do business in India

"Centre and states should work together for the nation's progress... The government has to respect and give due representation to the private sector for economic progress," Modi said while speaking at the governing council meeting of Niti Aayog.

He said that the positive response to the Union Budget 2021-22 indicates that the country wants to move forward on the path of development at greater speed.

PM MoModi said that the initiatives taken by the government would provide opportunity to everyone to participate in nation building to its full potential.

He asked the states to form committees to reduce regulations which are no longer relevant in the wake of technology growth.

Modi further said that the private sector of the country is coming forward with more enthusiasm in this development journey of the country.

"As a government, we also have to honour this enthusiasm, the energy of the private sector, and give it as much opportunity in the AatmaNirbhar Bharat campaign," he added.

I believe India can catchup if given time resources and a focused direction. The bigger question to ask is, whether this will add value for India as China turns into a high service value society, will India have markets to provide its higher industrial output if it is focused on challenging China as a country and will Pakistan, Japan, vietname, Bangladesh , Taiwan fill in the gap and become providers of lower level industrial output to China, Europe and the americas?

has the boat sailed for India due to its aggressive policies towards all her Neibiour’s specially China ?

k

If Indian officials set achievable goals and did stuff in baby steps, no one would say anything and if they actually surpass the target, people will actually cheer them.

So you claim racial superiority- Chinese are racially superior therefore India will never overtake China. I work with some of the sharpest minds in the world. I know for a fact that intellect isn't the sole preserve of the Han Chinese.
What are you talking about? I m talking about the education of the general population which may take generations to improve, China's weakness was largely because of the low quality of the population in the past and that's why China invested heavily on education and skill training, what does it have to do with racial superiority?
Does it look like India can overtake China based on its current trajectory? No, but nothing can be taken for granted. India may split into smaller provinces and cease to exist or India may become a hyperpower and an economic behemoth. You cannot predict the future and say NEVER.
Of course, Martians may take over the earth, who knows.

If racial superiority is the essence of economic growth then why did China languish in abject poverty for the first 50 years under the CPC. The cultural revolution and the great leap were all products of superior Chinese intellect. You say India will never overtake China - unless you can see the infinite future you can't make that assertion. Does it look like India can overtake China based on its current trajectory? No, but nothing can be taken for granted. India may split into smaller provinces and cease to exist or India may become a hyperpower and an economic behemoth. You cannot predict the future and say NEVER.

Nothing to do with racial superiority. It's about cultural values as a whole and how people relate to one another. East Asian societies have succeeded spectacularly in a short time because people in these societies work together for the common good.

What are you talking about? I m talking about the education of the general population which may take generations to improve, China's weakness was largely because of the low quality of the population in the past and that's why China invested heavily on education and skill training, what does it have to do with racial superiority?

Of course, Martians may take over the earth, who knows.

Education of the general population isn't the reason China has progressed economically.
The reason is cheap labor, if you look at the population of India v China, the age pyramid for China is inverted. There are many more older people, people who have left or about to leave the employment pool. While India has a growing population concentrated in the 18-25 age group.

Chinese business are already offshoring jobs, India, Pakistan and Vietnam are ideally poised to exploit this trend, Vietnam has a head start but with the right policies and investments India and Pakistan can become the next China.

Cheap labor still beats automation on cost and this will not change in our life time.

Education of the general population isn't the reason China has progressed economically.
The reason is cheap labor, if you look at the population of India v China, the age pyramid for China is inverted. There are many more older people, people who have left or about to leave the employment pool. While India has a growing population concentrated in the 18-25 age group.

Chinese business are already offshoring jobs, India, Pakistan and Vietnam are ideally poised to exploit this trend, Vietnam has a head start but with the right policies and investments India and Pakistan can become the next China.

Cheap labor still beats automation on cost and this will not change in our life time.

There is no doubt that this is happening although the ladder will be harder to climb this time because of rising automation as well. However, there is no guarantee that because capital will continue to offshore to cheaper places that all of these places will succeed similarly. Take SE Asia for example, why is it that the one country that shares Confucian roots with East Asia, Vietnam, is the one that is succeeding the most spectacularly while countries like the Philippines and Indonesia have been open for business longer?

In short, China didn't succeed because of cheap labor alone. In fact, that was only one of many factors. To say that China just succeeded because of cheap labor is the typical mindset that China haters use to denigrate and belittle China's actual accomplishments. China succeeded not only because it had a large pool of cheap labor, but because the labor was efficient, quick to learn, honest and also because society quickly built all of the required infrastructure to support businesses and built a pro-business environment.

This is not to say that India cannot replicate some of China's successes but I think on the whole, it will be near impossible to repeat it to the same extent and scale. I think Vietnam will probably be the next dragon rather than India.

However with Bangadesh's growth and development, hopefully this sets an example for development and poverty alleviation for South Asia like Japan did for East Asia. The road ahead is still very long and unpredictable.

There is no doubt that this is happening although the ladder will be harder to climb this time because of rising automation as well. However, there is no guarantee that because capital will continue to offshore to cheaper places that all of these places will succeed similarly. Take SE Asia for example, why is it that the one country that shares Confucian roots with East Asia, Vietnam, is the one that is succeeding the most spectacularly while countries like the Philippines and Indonesia have been open for business longer?

In short, China didn't succeed because of cheap labor alone. In fact, that was only one of many factors. To say that China just succeeded because of cheap labor is the typical mindset that China haters use to denigrate and belittle China's actual accomplishments. China succeeded not only because it had a large pool of cheap labor, but because the labor was efficient, quick to learn, honest and also because society quickly built all of the required infrastructure to support businesses and built a pro-business environment.

This is not to say that India cannot replicate some of China's successes but I think on the whole, it will be near impossible to repeat it to the same extent and scale. I think Vietnam will probably be the next dragon rather than India.

However with Bangadesh's growth and development, hopefully this sets an example for development and poverty alleviation for South Asia like Japan did for East Asia. The road ahead is still very long and unpredictable.

You forget the region that now forms Pakistan, India and Bangladesh were once economic powerhouses - until the British left. Iran and Turkey as well, so confucian ideals isn't the secret sauce of economic performance either. The right policies and investments is all it takes, the US is an example as well. We had waves of immigrants, the Irish, Italians, Greeks my forefathers on my mothers side came from Sweden in the 1800s. With no cultural connection, no shared values or ideology the US still rose to become the worlds prominent economy.

Last edited:
Never ..say ...never. All India needs is a period of good governance and pragmatic policies. Meanwhile all it takes for China to implode is a loony in charge to turn good to bad overnight.

Chinese have become so arrogant with a decade of economic growth.
To be fair , its the Chinese on PDF who are arrogant and ultra nationalistic as well. I have been to China more than twice and I can attest that Chinese in China are very humble actually. I didn't see any arrogance at all during all my times there. Neither does their government brag about achievements as such. So Chinese on PDF don't represent the real picture at all. I'm even surprised by the way some of them react on here.

Agree 100%

Nothing to do with racial superiority. It's about cultural values as a whole and how people relate to one another. East Asian societies have succeeded spectacularly in a short time because people in these societies work together for the common good.
East Asia is not the only developed region in the world. In fact western countries have been industrialised and developed before East Asian countries and we don't have the collective mindset of East Asian countries per se.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom