What's new

India launches Aakash tablet computer priced at $35!

Since Most of the Electronic Goods are manufactured outsourced from China, I've a doubt whether the Indian Factory is Just a "Assembler" of the Chinese parts for this Tablet . :) Who knows, this Canadian Company is Just another Indian Businessman making millions from Chinese Maal.

That would be funny if it turns out DataWind is just repackaging Chinese tablets!

how is that possible....even $60 for a brand new one isn't bad.

Hell, i could buy 250 of those, ship them to my house --- (add even $300 for shipping) and sell them for profit.

there must be a catch somewhere

That would be funny if it turns out DataWind is just repackaging Chinese tablets!
I don't know; but My assumptions are turning out to be true. however, they claims the Tablet is not Chinese.
The tablet comes from Datawind, a Canadian company run by two Indians Suneet and Raja Tulli, who beat several other bidders to win the tender for the tablet. Datawind mostly sells Chinese products, but, the Aakash tablet would be sold and manufactured in India itself by a company called Quad based in Andhra Pradesh.
Everything you need to know about the Aakash tablet -  
:blink:

Suneet Singh Tuli, CEO of tablet maker, Datawind.

Since Most of the Electronic Goods are manufactured outsourced from China, I've a doubt whether the Indian Factory is Just a "Assembler" of the Chinese parts for this Tablet . :) Who knows, this Canadian Company is Just another Indian Businessman making millions from Chinese Maal.

The tablet is 39%+ S. Korean, 24% Chinese, 16% Indian, 16% American, and rest is just 'other'. This is revealed by the CEO.

Last edited by a moderator:
why not provide students with a basic netbook or say, laptop instead of this fancy device? :rolleyes:
students can benefit from using softwares like office/openoffice etc .

ot: is this also cheen ka maal? :lol:

Its introduced in TN.

India launches British-made Aakash tablet priced at $34
India launches British-made Aakash tablet priced at $34 - TechSpot News

A new tablet co-produced by Datawind in the UK is set to launch in India, aiming to reduce the digital divide by offering affordable computing and thus getting the device into the hands of some of the world's poorest people. The almost unbelievably cheap Datawind Aakash will be available for just $34 (£22) to students, and $60 (£39) to everyone else, making it the world's cheapest tablet by a healthy margin.

The tablet is about the size of a paperback book and uses a resistive touchscreen, so gestures will not work on it, but at the price it's set for I doubt that will be an issue. Other notable features include a SD card slot fitted with a 2GB card and supporting up to 32GB capacities, two USB ports, Wi-Fi, video conferencing, 3-hour battery life, 600MHz processor, 256MB RAM and it will be running Android 2.2.

http://c.brightcove.com/services/vi...VQA16tDSWm&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true

Datawind also intends to launch a slightly more expensive "commercial" version named the UbiSlate in December that will include a cellular modem, enabling it to access online content anywhere there is mobile phone reception. It will also enable the tablet to function as a mobile phone.

Kapil Sibai, India's human resource development minister handed out 500 of the tablets to lucky students for testing, and stated that the government plans to distribute over 10 million units to students over the next couple of years.

"Our goal was to break the price barrier for computing and internet access. We've created a product that will finally bring affordable computing and internet access to the masses," Sibai said when recently speaking about the tablets. "This is not only a concept that applies to India, but has ignited the imaginations of governments around the world. The Aakash is proudly made in India, and is destined to revolutionise computing and internet access for the world."

India has committed to 100,000 orders at the slightly increased price of $45 (£29), on the agreement that future orders will be for the lower $34 price.

British-made Aakash tablet

British-made Aakash tablet

You are a dumbo .

This tablet is made jointly by Datawind and IIT Rastastan. By the way Datawind is a Indian company based in London . So I can understand why you are burning

Congratulations Indian, you guys are the smartest people in the World!!! We are proud of you in this achievement!!! :cheers:

Competition is good and ambitious is always welcomed!!! :agree: :yahoo:

I just bought and returned a $159 Sylvania 10" tablet. I doubt the quality at $35.

I just bought and returned a $159 Sylvania 10" tablet. I doubt the quality at $35.

It is for poor students who need cheap computing device, and govt cant subsidize PCs or laptop to that extent.
I think most people who can afford will try to avoid resistive screen.
I hope the device will be backed by newer methods of teaching, and learning software.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom