What's new

India must respect Vienna convention on Italy envoy's immunity says EU

India first cheated Italian marines when Indians assured Italians that we are just asking Italian marines to come on land and record their statement but instead you arrested them. If Italians cheated you than it was simply a pay back. Why so much crying from indian side now?

:yahoo:

We see this in Pakistan, all the time (and not because of some intelligence screw-up), it's just another day, there.

Foreign diplomats live alongside the elitist Pakistanis who, like them, have absolute immunity.

Case in point: none of the elitists have been arrested for corruption or embezzlement of public funds (it's ironic because they don't even pay taxes but why bother if they're going to put it back in their personal accounts, anyway).

Wish I had a diplomatic passport, political dynastic genes and a sh!tload of money stolen from the public scoffers :bounce:

Not just in Pakistan, even every country. Now what will happen is, there will be top brass meetings in 5 star deluxe hotels, luxury cars will be called to pick and drop, best of the food, rum and wine will be served. Teams to negotiate will make spend good time in italy and India visiting places.

This is diplomacy all about., nothing much. Yeh sala chut*****a laga rakha hai.

:yahoo:

I got refuted, point by point and in the end, I was starstruck by the amazing quote and the French loan-word.

Too bad, I have nothing left to say other than referring you back to the original post and suggesting you to try defending the indefensible.

We see this in Pakistan, all the time (and not because of some intelligence screw-up), it's just another day, there.

Foreign diplomats live alongside the elitist Pakistanis who, like them, have absolute immunity.

Case in point: none of the elitists have been arrested for corruption or embezzlement of public funds (it's ironic because they don't even pay taxes but why bother if they're going to put it back in their personal accounts, anyway).

Wish I had a diplomatic passport, political dynastic genes and a sh!tload of money stolen from the public scoffers :bounce:

you have hopes i ll try?

haha.

India first cheated Italian marines when Indians assured Italians that we are just asking Italian marines to come on land and record their statement but instead you arrested them. If Italians cheated you than it was simply a pay back. Why so much crying from indian side now?

calm down buddy, this is all staged drama. Nothing much. neither Italy will do anything nor India. Just big talks and big meetings.

you have hopes i ll try?

haha.

then you either have to give UPSC or wait till you reach a good post.

May be, change the law...If you cannot keep your word then you should be punished for that! If they wanted.. They could have fought with India and exerted diplomatic pressure and got the two naval guards out of India... That is NOT fair!

What is the f**king need to have 35 Billion US $ Defense budget if it cannot protect its citizens!

when your ministers are useless and bad planners and not a single think tank is your minister then such things will keep happening.

calm down buddy, this is all staged drama. Nothing much. neither Italy will do anything nor India. Just big talks and big meetings.

then you either have to give UPSC or wait till you reach a good post.

Nah i was just asking a question, In 19 page discussion no where Indians acknowledged the fact We deceived Italians first, All i see is rouna dhona that how you were deceived and GOI should cut off relations with italy

Nah i was just asking a question, In 19 page discussion no where Indians acknowledged the fact We deceived Italians first, All i see is rouna dhona that how you were deceived and GOI should cut off relations with italy

cut off relation? then how our babus going to enjoy italian wine? You are aware Italians are our in laws. hum ladkey waley hai bhai..we have to show some arrogance. :P

The point is Italy acknowledges the crime but according to them it happened in International water as you are aware but our stance is different. Under NO law Indian government allowed them to leave country two times TRUSTING Italian regime but as the new govt. came they mischievously played the game which is not acceptable. But this will be over soon. They might be trialed in 3rd country.

Under NO law Indian government allowed them to leave country two times TRUSTING Italian regime but as the new govt. came they mischievously played the game which is not acceptable. But this will be over soon. They might be trialed in 3rd country.

To be honest now,I think "trust" went out the window when you tricked the ship with the italians on to come to port to "file an ordinary report and just answer some routine questions" and then detained them.Lies bring more lies so let's not try to play the honesty card here.:angel:

To be honest now,I think "trust" went out the window when you tricked the ship with the italians on to come to port to "file an ordinary report and just answer some routine questions" and then detained them.Lies bring more lies so let's not try to play the honesty card here.:angel:

Vatican elected Pope in the name of God and two murderers are being safe guard by Italy. Very Sad!

Vatican elected Pope in the name of God and two murderers are being safe guard by Italy. Very Sad!

I'm a devout orthodox christian so I don't really care what that blasphemeous, strangely dressed old men claiming to sit on Saint Peters chair says or does.;)...stoped caring since 1054

All hearsay, Italy or their ambassador never complained about any trickery - the marines voluntarily surrendered to the Kerala police.

I'm a devout orthodox christian so I don't really care what that blasphemeous, strangely dressed old men claiming to sit on Saint Peters chair says or does.;)...stoped caring since 1054

No, what I am saying is those two marines are the murderers of two innocent human beings. If Italy does not consider Indians as human beings then I am sorry to say it very unfortunate.

EU Warns India on Italian Envoy :sniper:

EU Warns India on Italian Ambassador's Immunity - WSJ.com

The European Union said India would violate international law if it stopped the Italian ambassador in New Delhi from leaving the country, throwing its weight behind Rome amid an intensifying diplomatic row.

In a statement Tuesday, the EU expressed concern over an order issued last week by the Supreme Court of India that seeks to prevent Daniele Mancini, the Italian ambassador, from traveling outside India without its permission. The court's move came after Rome said it wouldn't return two Italian marines to stand trial on murder charges in India as promised.

Italy's foreign ministry slammed the Indian court's decision as a "clear violation" of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, which says diplomats are immune from prosecution in countries where they serve.

The EU backed Italy's argument. "Any limitations to the freedom of movement of the Ambassador of Italy to India would be contrary to the international obligations established under this Convention," a spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said in the statement. These were the EU's strongest remarks yet on the dispute.

The Indian government says the court's order doesn't go against the terms of the Vienna Convention.

Some international law experts say India would be in breach of the convention if Indian officials proceed with the order against Mr. Mancini.

"Enforcing a court order against a diplomat, restricting his freedom of movement, that could cause a problem," said Narinder Singh, a diplomatic law expert and former legal adviser to India's foreign ministry.

A spokesman for India's foreign ministry said Mr. Mancini hasn't expressed any interest in traveling outside India and described the scenario of enforcing the order as "hypothetical."

Diplomatic tensions between India and Italy have escalated rapidly over the past week after Rome announced the two naval officers wouldn't return to stand trial.

The officers, Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, are accused of shooting and killing two Indian fishermen off the coast of southern India last year. Italy says the marines mistook the fishermen for pirates.

The marines were detained in India last year. Italy has been pushing for the criminal case to be transferred to its own courts.

Italy says it has jurisdiction over the case as the shooting happened in international waters and India's position is contrary to international laws of the sea.

India disagrees and earlier this year the country's Supreme Court said the case would be handled in a special court in Delhi.

Mr. Mancini, on behalf of the Italian government, requested permission from the court to allow the pair to go back home to vote in elections. The Supreme Court in February agreed to that request as a goodwill gesture. The two had traveled to Italy for Christmas and returned to India soon afterward as agreed.

The Supreme Court is now hearing a contempt-of-court petition against the ambassador for breaking his assurance. Last week, it issued the travel ban on Mr. Mancini. The Indian government has said it would respect the court's order.

There are exceptions to diplomatic immunity under the Vienna Convention. For instance, if diplomats approach the courts, they can no longer claim immunity. In this case, Mr. Mancini was acting on behalf of the Italian government so it's unclear whether the exception applies.

New Delhi has responded forcefully to Italy's announcement last week that the marines wouldn't be returning. In her first remarks on the issue, Sonia Gandhi, the Italian-born the head of India's ruling Congress party, Tuesday said "no country can, should or will be allowed to take India for granted."

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has described Italy's stance as "unacceptable." The Indian government has rejected Italy's calls to reach a solution through international channels, saying the marines should return to India and that the case should be handled in its judicial system.

The U.S. has avoided wading into the dispute. "This sounds like an issue between India and Italy, not an issue for us," U.S. Department of State spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said Tuesday when asked about Washington's position on the ambassador's travel ban.

Back
Top Bottom