What's new

India offers $5m aid to flood-hit in Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a well reason for India phobia in this case, I think, as Pakistan may feel reluctant later to do or say anything against India if they take this help.

PK can deduct $5 mill from its defence budget instead of taking from India.

There is a well reason for India phobia in this case, I think, as Pakistan may feel reluctant later to do or say anything against India if they take this help.

PK can deduct $5 mill from its defence budget instead of taking from India.

every body is suffering frm india phobia

You seem to have forgot the reaction from Pak govt. last time round when we offered Helicopters during Kashmir Earth quake.

Goods were left to rot at Wagah Border ( You can check - your own media has said that, Googling might help)

really?

why not offer again?

I think the Pakistani leadership has some kind of attitude problem.They are probably thinking that by taking the aid they are loosing out to India.Or maybe they want to show the Pakistani populace that they can do everything on their own.I just read an article which mentioned that around 3 million Pakistani kids are on the verge of getting infected by diseases mainly cholera.Under such circumstances only a fool will not accept aid.

I think the Pakistani leadership has some kind of attitude problem.They are probably thinking that by taking the aid they are loosing out to India.Or maybe they want to show the Pakistani populace that they can do everything on their own.I just read an article which mentioned that around 3 million Pakistani kids are on the verge of getting infected by diseases mainly cholera.Under such circumstances only a fool will not accept aid.

they think"""what?? we r accepting aid frm india"" :what::what::what:

it seems that indians r aliens

I dont know how much of this is true but i heard that when the last time India send aid during the earth quake in Kashmir the Pakistani officials tore apart the MADE IN INDIA tags from the relief materials.

which other country is doing that e.g. ? my guess is that governments deal with governments. a government isn't going to slip aid anonymously to an ngo. probably doesn't work that way as a matter of practice.

in case its a common practice, i'd be surprised and enlightened at the same time.

even if the GoI did this, all it would do would be to put that NGO under the scanner due to the lack of trust and lead to major pakistani media defamation of such an NGO.
Even if you want to send food and supplies to Pakistan government, there are collection offices all over Pakistan.

Cargo the goods (there is also an official item list of needed goods) to Karachi and from there the people will come and take the stuff.

India did this during Earthquake it sent two cargo planes and it was all dealt with without any shosha baazi.

Send it to Bezerk, he'll get you actual evidence of food reaching the poor and needy. He won't care about being tagged with negative publicity either. Go lobby your government to send it to the addresses and payment methods he has already given.

I dont know how much of this is true but i heard that when the last time India send aid during the earth quake in Kashmir the Pakistani officials tore apart the MADE IN INDIA tags from the relief materials.
Yes, they are SO farigh, that they have the time to scrap off made in India tags.

Dude, if you've ever worked for collection centres, you'd know, just to sort the items out in categories is a major daunting task.

let me put it this way

when one person insists on doing something in a particular way and only that way its clear there is an agenda to make a point, or be difficult.

Indian friends. Dont make it a debate point. India has offered some aid. The offer in my view will stand till accepted or rejected. The grace of offering some aid is in the anonymity of it or in this case where that's not possible, lack of noise around it. Its Pakistan's call.

If any one of us is feeling bad about people suffering, then follow Asim's suggestion and send individual contributions.

What's the hue and cry for? Reject it already if you don't want it. We ain't stuffing it down into your banks. Its an offer. We send a humanitarian mission to China as well during their earthquakes as a gesture for the sake of humanity barring politics aside and this was well appreciated by the Chinese government.

But then again, I just remembered that situation in eastern neighbourhood is much better than western. :P

NEW DELHI: Even as more floods threaten to inundate Pakistan, the government there is reluctant to avail of India's offer of assistance.

India indicated on Monday that it was willing to give more assistance over the $5 million it has already pledged. "We can and are willing to do much more," senior sources in the government said.

But New Delhi is yet to receive a response from the Zardari government to its earlier offer of assistance of $5 million.

India's offer of assistance was conveyed to Pakistan by foreign ministerS M Krishna when he spoke to his counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi last weekend. Pakistan's foreign office, however, did not mention the Indian offer, merely saying that Krishna had extended India's sympathies to Pakistan at the time of crisis.
When questioned, the foreign office spokesman said Pakistan had not "rejected the Indian offer outright".

The Indian government had also come under some criticism for being slow off the ground. New Delhi took time to craft its response because of the memory of Pakistan's indifference to its offer to help with earthquake relief in 2005. It has, however, now got its act together. Sources said the government has already begun preliminary work on an assistance package with the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) which is resource-rich, and would even be willing to route the assistance through the UN if that's what Pakistan wants.

But it feels the bilateral approach is better because given the short distances, India would be able to reach assistance much faster to the affected areas in Pakistan. In fact, India is even willing to be the source country for assistance material for other countries, multilateral organizations helping out Pakistan, even NGOs.

But so far, Pakistan is yet to signal that it is willing to receive any aid through India, a move that is short-sighted in the extreme. Given the enormity of the catastrophe in Pakistan, and the prospect of more in coming days, India believes it can rush material across really quickly.

Pakistan had got $5 billion in international assistance in the wake of the earthquake that caused enormous destruction. But it has struggled to attract international assistance this time. What it has so far got -- just over $120 million -- pales before $1.2 billion that Haiti attracted after it was devastated by an earthquake.

US has led the international effort in Pakistan with an assistance of $80 million and by pressing heavy-lift choppers into rescue operations. But Pakistan's "all-weather " friend China and the Islamic nations it identifies with -- Saudi Arabia and other cash-rich ones -- have not stepped forward.

During the civil war in Sri Lanka, India had sent across family-packs that contained everything for a family for a specific time period. In Afghanistan, India supplies fortified biscuits which could be a good source of nutrition for children in Pakistan right now.

Pakistani authorities warned of a new flood wave making its way south along the Indus river and more heavy monsoon rains. The forecast came after UN secretary general Ban-ki Moon said it had received only 20% of the $460 million needed to provide aid.

Read more: India ready to give more aid but Pak silent - India - The Times of India India ready to give more aid but Pak silent - India - The Times of India

India ready to give more aid but Pak silent - India - The Times of India

I am glad that te Indian Govt is finally getting its together and trying to do everything it can. Pakistan should accept this offer.Sometimes adversaries can bring countries closer

we should seize it from our billionnaire president instead he could give us 100 times that amount. plus it'll be more dignified since that money belongs to pakistan anyway.

Come on, guys. Put our ego aside. When the earthquake happened in Indian Gujarat (Bhuj?) a few years ago Pakistani military plane landed on Indian soil and delivered supplies. It was a token gesture and Indians took it.
Let those who are suffering be relieved. I don't think--just as Indian movies have not dented Pakistani nationalism--a little aid from India is going to 'buy' an Indian lobby within Pakistan.
We keyboard warriors should set aside our egos and think of the suffering people. If we let them help us today then tomorrow they may accept our help as they did during the Bhuj earthquake. Pakistan is not going to lose an 'strategic' ground.
Sometime one murder like a murder of an Archduke can trigger a World War. And sometime it may take rescue of a few people to start World Peace....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom