What's new

India successfully testfires 'maneuverable' BrahMos supersonic cruise missile

This is from an Indian blog:

Just got off the phone with BrahMos CEO Dr A Sivathanu Pillai, delighted with the 11.30AM test of the Naval BrahMos supersonic cruise missile in a vertical launch from the Indian Navy destroyer INS Ranvir. Dr Pillai reveals the test was specifically aimed at testing the missile's accuracy when its flight path was infused with "diversionary manoueuvers" to mask the general direction of the launcher warship. The missile, vertically launched from a Vertical Launcher built for the BrahMos, was rolled in all directions successfully before before it smashed into the hull of INS Meen a decommissioned target vessel. Photos of actual launch will be posted shortly. Stay tuned. "

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence

The bold part and the underline part to me suggest that the maneuvering is before it comes into the attacking phase as its aim is to hide the location of the launching ship. So my guess is when it is fired, then it does the maneuvering phase, once done, it goes in a straight path towards its target. No "S" kind of maneuvering phase at the end of the attack profile.

RIGHT SIR , THAT ONLY I AM GUESSING

If this is such a wonderful weapon, who won't Russians use it. mmmm

I think they have better weapons and refuse to use Brahmos. What is the missile that is of longer ranged and lighter? The problem with Brahmos is its weight and size. Its too heavy that each plane can only carry one? Can MKI carry 2?

The Russian military already have something better. I'm certain. I just don't have the name of the missile that has similar ability as Brahmos but longer range

Why are u repeatedly posting troll???

I know as a chinese sympathizer it is hard to digest and it is causing u pain but world can't work as per ur will.

Do you really think that being in motion is the only defense for a ship? Ever heard of chaff/flare? This is about making the missile miss its target by any means available.

i know about it but my answer was against ur comment that ship will dodge the attack by movement which is not possible in case of high precision missiles

A bit of reality...

Maneuvers increases time to target and consume fuel, which negatively affects range.

Question: At which stage of flight does the missile begins its maneuver?

The question is very important as there are two main crucial factors affecting the targeting system. Line-of-sight (LoS) rate change between missile and target and sensor capability.

If the missile performs its maneuvers AFTER it has chosen a target, does its maneuvers take it outside of its sensor physical scan limits? If it does, what is the reacquisition method and how will this method compensate for the chance that during the return maneuver, the sensor encounter additional targets that may or may not have the same return signal strength? This is regardless of sensor type: radar or infrared or hybrid.

On the other hand, if after the missile chose a target, begins its maneuvers and those maneuvers DOES NOT take it beyond its sensor physical scan limits, meaning that during these maneuvers the missile maintains continuous track of the chosen target, then its maneuvers will be severely limited in all axis and in rate change., thereby increasing its vulnerability to countermeasures.

Another bit of reality......

All the new missiles are designed to have future capacity modification about 15-25%.

That is, if in future they have to increase/change the range or warhead etc. the scope of modifications should be there.

Even if one goes by ur argument and let's say its speed get affected by 10-15% then also it will be fastest cruise missile in the world.

And as the Hypersonic version of Brahmos version is under development and will be ready by 2012, it will remain the world's best in the league.

brahmos still would be defeated by the evolved sea sparrow if for some reason the radar controller fall asleep. US are usually very good at selling defensive weapons such as evolved sea sparrows and i can imagine Pakistan getting some in a few years.

Imagination does not cost anything u can imagine your self with angelina jolie on moon but it will be imagination not reality.

And why are u dragging pakistan into this.

From Russia, USA, China to Pakistan u have brought half of the world in to this thread.

i very well knows ur tactics u wanna derail this thread plz get a life.

This is from an Indian blog:

Just got off the phone with BrahMos CEO Dr A Sivathanu Pillai, delighted with the 11.30AM test of the Naval BrahMos supersonic cruise missile in a vertical launch from the Indian Navy destroyer INS Ranvir. Dr Pillai reveals the test was specifically aimed at testing the missile's accuracy when its flight path was infused with "diversionary manoueuvers" to mask the general direction of the launcher warship. The missile, vertically launched from a Vertical Launcher built for the BrahMos, was rolled in all directions successfully before before it smashed into the hull of INS Meen a decommissioned target vessel. Photos of actual launch will be posted shortly. Stay tuned. "

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence

The bold part and the underline part to me suggest that the maneuvering is before it comes into the attacking phase as its aim is to hide the location of the launching ship. So my guess is when it is fired, then it does the maneuvering phase, once done, it goes in a straight path towards its target. No "S" kind of maneuvering phase at the end of the attack profile.
Agreed...But I question the efficacy of this method to conceal the launcher. If the launcher is mobile, then this maneuver so soon is redundant and cost missile fuel. For a fleet or a ship, the highest priority is the missile itself, not to retaliate against the launcher. Something is not quite right about this explanation.

For me personally, I would have the missile programmed for these violent maneuvers thus:

- If the missile detect a single ship, it should perform these maneuvers even if they take the missile outside of its sensor physical scan limits. There is nothing to distract the missile and if chaff/flare are deployed, the missile will have to take its chances anyway.

- If the missile detect a fleet, meaning its sensor algorithms are running multiple targets, it would execute these maneuvers with random directional changes and random rate of change in those directions. In other words, if the missile make a 50deg right turn, the next left should not be 50deg but something different. Assuming active radar guidance, most missile radar physical scan limits are about 60deg. During this time, the missile should continue to perform target resolutions on which singular target remains the 'brightest' throughout LoS changes.

Then select the second largest target return for impact.

That last part is controversial among missileers. I like to see anyone take a stab at the question: What is the tactical rationale for going after the second largest sensor return instead of the largest? This has nothing to do with technology. In the documentary...errr...I mean 'movie' The Hunt for Red October, the sub captain ordered a head-on collision course against the incoming torpedo because of its arming method. The question posed is in this line of thinking. Not in missile arming mechanics, but in combat tactics :azn:

i know about it but my answer was against ur comment that ship will dodge the attack by movement which is not possible in case of high precision missiles
I did not say that.

Do you really think that being in motion is the only defense for a ship? Ever heard of chaff/flare? This is about making the missile miss its target by any means available.

guys lets accept it... .it is the BLOODY BEST missile right now in the world..

SO it definately has the highest probalility of a kill.... so lets give the missile the respect it deserves.....n accept that protecting a vessel against this missile wont be at all easy.... coz if this missile cant hit, then i wonder what about the lesser missiles, they must all be garbage then.....

guys lets accept it... .it is the BLOODY BEST missile right now in the world..

SO it definately has the highest probalility of a kill.... so lets give the missile the respect it deserves.....n accept that protecting a vessel against this missile wont be at all easy.... coz if this missile cant hit, then i wonder what about the lesser missiles, they must all be garbage then.....

Hahahahahaha...

ARE

YOU

SERIOUS?!

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom