What's new

India successfully tests Nirbhay cruise missile

Ok this might sound dumb, but can nirbhy be used as a payload for agni?

This is exact copy of a tomohawk. Let me remind you how Indians reacted when Pakistan tested a decade ago Babur... If one repeats that (and indeed this one looks a lot more then a tomahawk) it is suddenly a nationalistic blind person. Let me ask you, what is the difference? And how come India is behind Pakistan?

No it can not. It uses the Gas turbine engine. To cross mach 1 it has to be push very hard (Probably in after burner mode) Which will burn a lots of fuel. This type of missile are optimized for fuel efficiency for higher range and not for high speed. It is a mach 0.7 speed missile. That is why it took more than 1 hour (nearly 1 Hr. 30 minutes) to reach 1050 KM.
According to a tweet by tarmak007 it flew first 300km in just 10 mins.
1800kmph :woot:

WRT some posts here; while the Nirbhay is definitely nuclear-capable, it is not intended to be primarily nuke-tipped.
There are some other warheads which are singularly effective, viz. FAE warheads. Earlier this year, I had an opportunity to see a demo; which was awesome sans any mushrooms. Its already been inducted into some of the Missile Forces. Then there are new-age explosives such as CL20 which have passed the proto stage.

@Tshering22; just for your info: up-ranging the Brahmos is a work in progress without any Russian involvement (for a number of reasons). In any case, do not lay too much store by the declared range. ;)

Nirbhay Missile covered 14 way Point , 4 More then Planned : NDTV | idrw.org

Totally estimated range is 1100km.
Longer range variant is planned, that will have atleast 2000 km. Missile expected to be handed over to the army in about 3 years, after a few more tests.

Newer super sonic cruise missile in the works, 2000 km and same speed as brahmos (3.2 mach)

I am interested in how that is possible... how would one sustain energy? Otherwise it is needed to be huge. Why not saying lightspeed in 2017?

Navigation aids are not there to change speed, its there to provide course correction.

The whole point of the missile will be to ensure that speed is not lost. Not the other way around.

Actually the point of the missile is to accurately hit the target without being detected, regardless of the loss in speed specially in a sub-sonic cruise missile.
There will always be a need for speed changes for course correction and to accommodate calculations from GPS nav, RLG,tercom et cetra.

The F107-402 engine on board Tomahawk LACM provided the new BLK III with a throttle control, allowing in-flight speed changes.

Ok this might sound dumb, but can nirbhy be used as a payload for agni?
like multiple reentry cruise missiles ? :woot:

probably a big too big for that, and makes no sense.. cruise is cruise, terrain hugging/sea skimming and ballistic missiles are like death from outerspace, they serve different purposes.

a weaponized gajraj with air launched nirbhays would be cool though

So with this test we also validated that our jet engine is a go too !!!

Cruise Missile Engines are considerably different from Turbofans in Fighter Aircraft which take considerably more stress and have to operate reliably under wide range of operations conditions.

By calling it copy of tomhowk without find out specification and range he was just posting BS nothing else
I have seen tons of ridiculous claims on this forum. But I do not think these are called trolls. BTW, I have been around for decades and I say it is a copy of Tomahawk design. Does that make me a troll or do I have the right of an opinion and it is probably a copy... Let us be fair. Nothing the Indians planned worled. Now USA wants India to be counter of China. Suddenly you have a working Tomahawk copy? That is not trolling my friend. That is an opinion. And if you ask me that is more realistic knowing Indian background.

Back
Top Bottom